View Poll Results: Static or changing party?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Static

6 40.00%
  • Changing

9 60.00%

Thread: Static or changing party?

Default Static or changing party?

What it says on the tin. Do you like having a party that gets together relatively early and never changes after that, or goes through many permutations throughout the game.

Personally, in a story sense, I prefer parties that change alot because it gives a sense that everyone's their own character with their own business, but in a gameplay sense I prefer static parties because then I don't end up with certain members being hideously underleveled.

Blog Entries

I think I prefer the changing parties. I like it when characters leave the party for a story-based reason and it leaves you wondering whether they'll be back (and if you'll ever get your stuff back >_<)

The underleveling of late joining, frequently leaving, or just plain unliked members of the party isn't really an issue for me. It doesn't take long to get them back up to speed if you need them anyway.

edit: I just voted for static accidentally. =(

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

For story considerations I like dynamic parties, however this doesn't always work depending on the character leveling system. I really hate putting a lot into a character only to have them leave and be replaced with someone who I have to train up all over again. In games like FF4 is wasn't a big deal at all as levels are all that matters. In a game that is more involved it doesn't work quite so well.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I like static. It gets annoying when they are constantly coming and going. Plus they're a group, comrades, working together for the same goal is pretty cool. I do kind of like in II where you had a core group of three with a rotating last spot.

Blog Entries

Static. I do hate the coming and going. But I can understand the benefits to the plotline -- to mix it up a little I like it when games have one or two characters come in quite far into the game, to add a little new stuff to the party.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

They're both pretty nice. It's only an annoyance when it's implemented the way it is in FFIV. "Hmm my party is full. I bet someone's gonna pretend to be dead now."

Blog Entries

The only thing I really dont like about unexpected party changes is when they take all the items equiped on you're characters when they leave
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

I almost always choose which charcters I want to use throughout the entire game from the very beginning.

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dynamic party is fine, as long as it stabilizes somewhere later in the game and I get switch out characters as I like at that point.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Zeromus_X View Post
    Dynamic party is fine, as long as it stabilizes somewhere later in the game and I get switch out characters as I like at that point.
    Yeah! I don't like it when it's the same four people for the whole game but I also want some stability late in the game.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Changing. I actually like characters leaving and joining for storyline purposes through the game as long as I can make choices near the end, which seems to be the pattern for most Final Fantasy games anyway.

I get seriously bored with one party so I guess its changing for me...

Though I hate it when you literally form a party, set them up etc and then someone leaves/dies, taking all your equipment with them (FFIV is a massive culprit).

Also games where there are too many party members (FFVI) can make things difficult, i.e. trying to level everyone up evenly.

I like the 6-8 characters in a cast, you can stick with one good party but can also mix it up a little without other characters getting left behind.
    Time...
    It will not wait...
    No matter how hard you hold on, it escapes you...

Currently playing through the main series...
    Playing: FFII
    Completed: FFI

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like static parties where members only leave if they get killed in the end. Static parties leave more room for character development.