Thread: "It's too dangerous to stay together!"

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default "It's too dangerous to stay together!"

...Yeah right!

Final Fantasy games only allow a certain amount of members of your team to be used at once. It is usually four, but in games like VII, VIII, and X it was three, and in IV it was FIVE for some reason. Because of this the game has to come up with excuses as to why only so many of you are on the main mission (while others are... I dunno, maybe down the pub somewhere?)

The most common seams to be that it is "too dangerous for a group". What? I thought there was "safetey in numbers" or something?

Any particular excuses you liked in the subject?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, and even when the whole party is together you can only use 3-4 of them in battle. So the rest are just standing around watching you get your ass beat? Wtf guys help me out.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It doesn't really make sense, but as there is a good functional reason why they do it I don't mind. You really only have 3 choices:
    1) Only have the max number of in battle characters in the party at a time (FF4 style)
    2) Have all available characters in battle at the same time. (Attempted to be approximated by FF10 & FF12)
    3) Have some excuse as to why you can only have a select number of your characters in battle at a time.

I think complaining over something like this is kind of splitting hairs. It goes into the same bin as 'why do they wait for each other to attack'. Because it is a game and designed to be fun and not to be realistic.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I know it's split hairs, it's just fun to think about these little things.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Any particular excuses you liked in the subject?
    Oops, I missed this line in the OP. I thought this was a thread to bitch about it. Carry on.

Blog Entries

If the choice is to have someone like Relm, Cait Sith or Kimahri, help me out, I'd rather attempt destruction myself. ~

What about the fact that up to XII, if your main party members die, it's game over DESPITE having 3-5 other characters ready to fight?

Scene: Final Fantasy VII. Cloud, Tifa and Cid vs. Emerald Weapon; Tifa and Cid are dead.

EW: (Hits Cloud fatally.)
    Remaining party members:
    Red XIII: Do you guys really wanna fight that thing?
    Yuffie: Aw SMURF no.
    Cait Sith: Let's just play dead.
    Vincent: (has already pulled his coffin out of hammerspace and climbed inside.) Nuthin' ter see here...
    Barret: Is ther room in there for me, man?

Game code: Screw you, you cowards. *throws up Game Over*
    Last edited by razorrozar7; 08-01-2010 at 07:56 AM.

Oh, shoot, we've got too many party members, let's kidnap the love interest again.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Oh, shoot, we've got too many party members, let's kidnap the love interest again.
    And again. And again. ...And aGAIN.

Is there a more overused trope in FF? Even Penelo gets kidnapped at one point.