Thread: PS3 on an AV cable

Question PS3 on an AV cable

Please help! Over a week ago the awesome TV got taken away to be fixed (couple dead pixels but underwarrenty so might as well be fixed for free) and it's still no back. I've had to PS3 (or wii) since then so I was feeling a tad deprived so this morning I moved the ps3 to my room where I have a small 4year old LCD that should be able to cope. So I duly went out to the garage and got the AV cable for it (ran it on HDMI on the other TV) plugged it all in and.... nothing. *cries*

PS3 is on whiring away nicely, TV is on and on the appropriate AV Channel. Why isn't it working!? Is there a button I'm missing to switch to AV output or what?

I will be eternally greatful as PS3 is used for everything and a week without it has been horrid!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If the PS3 is on and was working fine before the TV went out to get fixed, and this TV is set to the appropriate output then I'd say it's this TV that either isn't working outright, or its AV input isn't working. The PS3 itself should automatically recognize that it's connected by an AV output and output the video over it. If you have a second output on that TV I'd try to hook it up to that and see if it works, or at least hook something else up to the TV to confirm it is the TV that's the problem. I have had TV inputs crap out on me before though so it does happen.

Blog Entries

In conjuction with Vivi's suggestion, try a different set of cables if you've got it.

Other than that, be patient. Play some games on your handhelds, your PC, your phone. Anything you can do to distract yourself. Your TV will be back soon!

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    The PS3 itself should automatically recognize that it's connected by an AV output and output the video over it.
    Wanted to test this before I said 'no, it doesn't' (maybe it was added in a firmware update since I last tried), and it still doesn't do that. At least not when going 'down' from an HDMI output to an S-Video or Composite (Red/White/Yellow) output. When you go from SD-out to HDMI-out, it will automatically detect if you have an HDMI cable plugged in.

Otherwise: Hold the Power-On button on the PS3 system itself until it beeps a second time. You'll get the normal 'on' beep, and then after maybe 10 seconds you'll hear the 2nd beep. You can let go then. This resets the system's visual settings to their lowest/factory default value. It should then work.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Huh, didn't know that. I've only ever gone from a lower cable set to a higher one, so good catch JKTrix.

Dammit, I'm finally able to give an answer to one of these things, and Trix beats me to it.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Dammit, I'm finally able to give an answer to one of these things, and Trix beats me to it.
    Ditto.

Thanks guys, will try these things later.

I did use two different cables this morning, although assumed the first one didn't work because it was from my ps2. They look the same but figured they weren't really.

Update: JKTrix, I love you
    Last edited by Ezme; 05-29-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWonder View Post
    I did use two different cables this morning, although assumed the first one didn't work because it was from my ps2. They look the same but figured they weren't really.
    AV cables that work for the PS1 and PS2 will work for the PS3 because they are all the same. Nintendo used to do the same thing actually (though they switched up the plug for the Wii for some reason I'll never figure out).

well good to know if every have to do this again as PS2 is normally set up on this TV as a DVD player so if same cable I can just transplant the PS3 then no fiddlin' with wires.

It does amuse me that technically PS3 was refusing to slum it with little old LCD! I put on my True Blood download which is in HD and it picture is rubbish! lol well compared to awesome tv anyway