Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Books you picked up and quit because you hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by redxiiii View Post
    My teacher suggested I read Translated Accounts by Kevin Sampson (It won a Booker prize according to the cover) I got 80 pages in, which i classify as a good go, but its just jibberish, literally some of its just various symbols for example "@@....///!!@:cat)...'@@" and so on...
    Just double check that cover. I'm fairly good with my Bookers and don't recall it or the author.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Dickens. Any Dickens. Aside from page 1 of Bleak House, which I find to be fantastic beyond compare.
    Seconded. I had to read Great Expectations for my freshman English class. Awful. Absolutely abysmal.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

A Catcher in the Rye~ The writing style was just horrible.
    War and Peace~ It was hard to read more than few pages at a time without falling asleep.
    Moby Dick~ I just didn't have it in me to finish it.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Le Guin
    I totally loved the Earthsea stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Dickens. Any Dickens. Aside from page 1 of Bleak House, which I find to be fantastic beyond compare.
    Seconded. I had to read Great Expectations for my freshman English class. Awful. Absolutely abysmal.
    Ugh Great Expectations is horrendously boring I had to do coursework on it and somehow managed to get an A having skipped huge sections of the book. I was more pleased about the fact that I wouldn't have to go back and read it properly than I was about the A. It completely put me off reading anything else by Dickens ever. Although I won't say no to the Muppet's Christmas Carol...

The only other book I can think of is Brisingr by Christopher Paolini, again because of its severe tedium. I tend to like finishing things though so I rarely just stop reading.

I'm a big fan of Terry Brooks and his Shannara series, but Elf Queen was so painfully boring I couldn't even get through the first quarter of it.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Ah, The Road. I finished it and I loved it but I was so depressed after that. Mogi and I were all excited about the movie coming out during the time we scheduled our first visit only to find out that it wasn't playing in any of the theaters in town

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

My friend told me that I just had to read Eragon, because it was so good. The first time I tried, I made it about two chapters in before I got fed up with it. The second time, a few years later, I only managed to read two sentences before something about a wind carrying a scent that would change the world pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffing Cheese View Post
    I've also tried to read a few Charles Dickens and just given up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperfectionist View Post
    Ugh Great Expectations is horrendously boring I had to do coursework on it and somehow managed to get an A having skipped huge sections of the book. I was more pleased about the fact that I wouldn't have to go back and read it properly than I was about the A. It completely put me off reading anything else by Dickens ever.
    this. great expectations was horrible. i had great expectations and it totally let me down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say I quit because I hated it, but I had to stop about half way through the Two Towers. I enjoyed Fellowship and even the first half of Two Towers, but Tolkiens writing style was just really dragging the whole thing down for me. It just felt like everything was plodding along and I couldn't force my way through anymore. Never did go back and try to read it again.
    this also. i almost cried when i stopped reading it as i loved the hobbit and the fellowship. i've never been able to read the whole series.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    I'm a big fan of Terry Brooks and his Shannara series, but Elf Queen was so painfully boring I couldn't even get through the first quarter of it.
    got about three pages into the first of the jerle shannara trilogy and had to stop.

i also really disliked pride and prejudice. the latest keira knightley movie version is one of my favourite movies of all time but the book was sucky.
    if finding love is just a dance, proximity and chance, you will excuse me if i skip the masquerade

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by redxiiii View Post
    My teacher suggested I read Translated Accounts by Kevin Sampson (It won a Booker prize according to the cover) I got 80 pages in, which i classify as a good go, but its just jibberish, literally some of its just various symbols for example "@@....///!!@:cat)...'@@" and so on...
    Just double check that cover. I'm fairly good with my Bookers and don't recall it or the author.
    Sorry got the author confused, its James Kelman and it says Booker prize award winning, but maybe that refers to the author as opposed to the book. Still my point remains...avoid this book.
    Thats me in the blue sporting the Edward Scissorhands haircut

Thanx for the cool Siggie Starry Relm.
    :evilking: :evilking:

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    My friend told me that I just had to read Eragon, because it was so good. The first time I tried, I made it about two chapters in before I got fed up with it. The second time, a few years later, I only managed to read two sentences before something about a wind carrying a scent that would change the world pissed me off.
    I couldn't get through Eragon either. It wasn't because I hate it though. It wasn't offensively bad. It was just thoroughly uninteresting. It was so painfully mediocre that I couldn't stomach the interest to continue.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

I don't think there is a book that I didn't finish except for two books that I can remember (vaguely) and one was Co-written by Stephen King (who I don't really like) and some other guy and I think it was called Black House or something like that. The other was a crime thriller about a detective who solved a crime but got amnesia and forgot everything (it sounds stupid, right?) and it was written in 1st person present tense (ugh!), I can't remember the authors name, but it was called Lost.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hated Great Expectations as much as anybody, but Tale of Two Cities was pretty alright, if you're not completely dickens averse

Blog Entries

Same here! The regular English classes were lucky because they read the abridged version, but us poor honors students had to read the entire shebang. The whole book itself was dull and thoroughly uninteresting. I think one night when I was reading it before bed I nearly fell asleep with it in my hands.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Blog Entries

Tried Tale of Two Cities, wtf'd after the first paragraph, and put it back.
    I was confused for the rest of the day.