Page 1 of 240 1234567112151101 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing right now?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default What are you playing right now?

Couldn't find a thread for this that wasn't over two years old, so "oops" if I missed one.

I've been playing Football Manager 2010 now that the regular football season is over. I'm playing as Nottingham Forest because I think they should have gone through to the PL instead of Blackpool. I won the playoffs in my first season (Blackpool got relegated from the Championship, har har har) and struggled in my first season in the PL, managing 16th. Have signed just the player I really needed now, and am looking for a striker to carry on with. Can't wait for Football Manager 2011!

I just finished playing the co-op campaign of Resistance: Fall of Man with Danielle, it was awesome fun. We might play it again on a harder difficulty, find out what all these unlocked weapons are. I started Resistance 2 in single player since it doesn't have co-op for the main campaign (!) but so far have been unimpressed - they took out my favourite things about the previous game (being able to carry about ten guns, co-op campaign, etc) so it's a little gutting on that end. Oh well. We'll see how I go - I didn't buy it, just loaning the Resistance games from a friend while he borrows Uncharted 2 off me.

Finally, I just downloaded and installed Final Fantasy IX and played through to the first save point. It's enjoyable so far, although I find myself realising how much I loved certain aspects of Final Fantasy XIII, including, to my surprise, the linearity! Obviously I'm only a small way in but it just seems like it's so easy to get lost now. xD Crazy. And I can never tell if my decisions are going to affect what items I get. I'm suddenly far more paranoid while gaming than I was during XIII, when I pretty much knew I could easily get everything. xD Not criticising, though... just finding it amusing that I miss something that at the time can easily be considered to be annoying.

Might buy anothe game, but these should easily keep me going for some time to come.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Record of Agarest War has consumed most of my time the past few days, with a bit of 3D Dot heroes thrown in.

Agarest is currently a contender for the Best SRPG I've ever played, right up there with the likes of Brigandine on the PS1 and Makai Kingdom.

Blog Entries

Need For Speed: Shift - Best NFS game ever. Fantastic dashboard view especially. An amazing sense of realism without actually being realistic to the point that it becomes impossible to just pick up and play. Great selection of cars too. Plenty drawn from the older 'illegal street racing' sub-genre games NFS was releasing for PS2 and plenty of Euro supercars that wouldn't look out of place being manuevered around the Top Gear test track by The Stig.

Grand Theft Auto IV - Got it cheap a few weeks ago along with NFS. FFXIII has been put on the backburner because of these two games.

On the go and in bed, I'm playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney and Professor Layton and Pandora's Box. Jubilations!

And Red Dead Redemption is due on Friday. My girlfriend bought it for as a gift, but refuses to give it to me until she leaves for her vacation because she doesn't want me finishing it before she leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Finally, I just downloaded and installed Final Fantasy IX
    Thats great to hear, its a great game! Hope you like it, its my favourite!

I havn't been playing too much lately. But I have been playing through the God of War Collection, just about to finish GoW I, then will move onto 2, and once I finish that I will buy 3.

I've been playing alot of Diablo 2 lately. Me and my best friend go through phases of playing this game out of nowhere. Lately, I have a good character, a level 82 Sorceress in Act 5 of Hell. I'm aimming to complete hell for the first time, so I'm quite excited about that!
    Just out of curiosity anyone here completed hell?

"This the outro, I was gonna put it at the beginning
    But this is what I say the moment after I'm winning
    Thank you, Ultimate Victory"

The Ultimate Victory - Chamillionaire

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Red Dead Redemption, and DOOM II because that just came out on the arcade. Before that I was playing Borderlands, which I did not finish so I will have to return to some day. And I’m always playing Left 4 Dead/2.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I started Resistance 2 in single player since it doesn't have co-op for the main campaign (!) but so far have been unimpressed - they took out my favourite things about the previous game (being able to carry about ten guns, co-op campaign, etc) so it's a little gutting on that end.
    Exactly my thoughts on Resistance 2. Having all the guns at the same time gave the game an excellent sense of development as you went on. Different guns for every scenario. I never even beat the single player.
    Did you try online co-op? You basically pick one class (Covert-Ops[dps], Soldier [tank], or Medic [duh]) and have to go through a series of missions with and 8 member party. The classes are all set up so it is completely impossible to play solo, so people do actually stick together and help each other out. I spent all my Resistance 2 time playing this, it was extremely fun. Way more so than anything out of Resistance 1. I haven't played in forever, so if you want to give it a try give me a shout. (Does it bother anyone else that there is no good abbreviation for Resistance? Even Resi 2 would typically be read as Resident Evil 2)

What are you playing right now?
    As for the original question....
    Oh god I don't know

I have Eternal Sonata, White Knight Chronicles, Lost Odyssey, Fable II and Blue Dragon sitting on my shelf and I don't feel like getting into any of them. And that is just the games I haven't gotten into, not the ones that I have to get around to finishing.

I've played a little into White Knight Chronicles and though the combat system with setting up commands and combos seems really cool, and I am interested to see how it develops further. But in practice with the AI characters everything is going so fast and I feel I have extremely little control over what is actually happening in battles. I'm only gone across the first area and back, but in the first boss fight I basically had no clue what was going on and my character finished to boss off while I was getting my bearings. I don't like the implications for the rest of the game. Maybe I should just read some in depth guide on battle mechanics before I start so I can feel a little more in control.

I've also played into Lost Odyssey some, and though the whole setting concept of 'Magic-Industrial Revolution" is exactly the type of setting I love, nothing else about the game has really grabbed me. Plus the difficulty curve makes it a little more involved, which is normally good but as I don't feel a compelling reason to push forward it just saps my desire to play the game. (as in it feels like the difficulty is a chore, not a challenge). I'm just past the first boss, almost to Grand Staff.

Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata I haven't even touched.

I last played Fable II something like 6 months ago. I just got to the point where I can get exp and level up. The original reason I started playing was to run around and kill enemies like in Fable I, but there hasn't really been an area of stuff for me to kill yet, so I got bored and switched to something else.

And I still really want to pick up Record of Agrest War and Demon Souls, but it seems inappropriate when I have so many other games that I haven't even played yet.

Currently I'm tackling Hideo Kojima's ancient masterpiece "SNATCHER" for probably the first time. I've tried it a few other times but it never took hold. Now I'm probably about halfway through the game. Playing the SegaCD version on my PSP. And after that I'll probably move on to the English-patched version of a PSOne rip of his game "Policenauts" that I also have emulated on my PSP. I love me some point and click adventures that don't involved obscure item combinations you'd never think to do, let alone where to use them. These are more my style. With great noir and mature, well done, and interesting story-telling

I got back into Beyond Good and Evil for GameCube being played on the Wii, that's always fun. But other than that, I've just been dabbling in old console emulation on my PSP, but nothing too serious

Tried to play through Out of this World for Genesis/SegaCD, and got stuck. I was playing Flashback because I love that game, but I've beaten it on several occasions already, and figured I should focus on things I've yet to beat to make my retro mood more productive

Also I've dabbled in an unlicensed Taiwanese-made Genesis ROM of an RPG known as Barver Battle Saga (other translations call it Brave Battle Saga, but whichever). Its a really pretty game akin to late-life SNES graphics to some degree, making me wonder why the Genesis itself never employed such graphics. But the story is cliche and trite, and the battle mechanic is massively annoying. One of those games where you can see badguys on screen. But they swarm at you and chase you all over the screen so there's little point in even giving the option to avoid random encounters. If you ever stop to read a sign or get a treasure chest in a dungeon you'll have 2 or 3 battles waiting for you when you're done...

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just finished playing the co-op campaign of Resistance: Fall of Man with Danielle, it was awesome fun. We might play it again on a harder difficulty, find out what all these unlocked weapons are. I started Resistance 2 in single player since it doesn't have co-op for the main campaign (!) but so far have been unimpressed - they took out my favourite things about the previous game (being able to carry about ten guns, co-op campaign, etc) so it's a little gutting on that end. Oh well. We'll see how I go - I didn't buy it, just loaning the Resistance games from a friend while he borrows Uncharted 2 off me.
    Blah, I loved Resistance 1 and have thought about grabbing the sequel, but I keep hearing this about it. Which sucks! The first game was fairly original as far as FPSes go. Granted, I played very little campaign coop, but it was a neat feature nonetheless. Switching to a Halo-like gun system would probably be the hardest for me to adapt to.

Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII, trying to finish it - school kinda got in the way of it before. I'm also trying to get all of the star coins in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Aside from that, I'm picking up Little Big Planet pretty frequently just for fun. I'm thinking about replaying the Half-life 2 games for the Steam Achievements. I'd also like to do a full replay of the Metal Gear Solid games this summer (1-4 only, I don't really have any others). I may also do a fresh game of Pokemon Diamond, since my friends are all playing games in the series right now.

Blog Entries

I've been doing the 90s RPG thing lately (seeing as how I only have a PS2 console right now); I started with FF Tactics, got frustrated with that Weigraf/Velius battle, decided to take a break and I've reached pretty far into Star Ocean: Second Star Story now.

Also, someone lent me Tales of Destiny and I played a little bit of the beginning. Maybe I should modify and say "90s jRPG", because that's what I keep picking up.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    I've been doing the 90s RPG thing lately (seeing as how I only have a PS2 console right now); I started with FF Tactics, got frustrated with that Weigraf/Velius battle, decided to take a break and I've reached pretty far into Star Ocean: Second Star Story now.

Also, someone lent me Tales of Destiny and I played a little bit of the beginning. Maybe I should modify and say "90s jRPG", because that's what I keep picking up.
    In the 90s jRPGs were RPGs and wRPGs were a sideshow. Only recently have wRPGs hijacked the title of 'RPG' back.

FF9
    rockband2
    bejeweled blitz

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post

In the 90s jRPGs were RPGs and wRPGs were a sideshow. Only recently have wRPGs hijacked the title of 'RPG' back.
    That's extremely subjective. Western RPGs were gigantic, but mostly on PC. PCs were also a pretty dominant form of gaming at the time. It's only recently that they've started to lose their throne and western RPGs have moved to consoles. I'd say back then they were actually pretty evenly matched, and now JRPGs are being pushed out of the spotlight mostly due to the fact that very few of them have done any sort of meaningful evolution in the past ten years.

Nothing wrong with that! <3 Retro-gaming :] I remember Tales of Destiny being really long and faking out endings left and right. After about the third time I thought I was about to beat the game and something else opened up I said screw it lol I would probably feel differently these days but I didn't like being toyed with at the time. Its a pretty good game over-all though, especially for its time. Its a little cliched by today's standards though but still fond memories

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Right now my main game is FFIX and I've just done the Revisit Alexandria part with the extraction and all. It's fun to play this game again, I'm totally going to master chocobo hot & cold.

I'm also playing FFVI:A every now and then, but since it's portable I tend to play it on trips and such.

Kinda playing: Dark Cloud 2 & Trapt

June 2010:
    Dark Cloud
    Trapt
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy XII
    Final Fantasy XIII

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    That's extremely subjective. ...
    Yes.

In the 90s when people said 'RPG' they were usually referring to what we now consider jRPGs. jRPGs as a term hasn't really been in popular circulation until the past half dozen years. Back in the 90s games like Final Fantasy 7 were what people general though of when you said RPG. (especially late 90s)