Thread: is it just me, or is this game VERY, VERY, HARD

Default is it just me, or is this game VERY, VERY, HARD

i just got to Gran Pulse and i can only beat like 1 or 2 or the monsters there!

prior to gran pulse the only trouble i ahd was with barthandelus and raines

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

You aren't supposed to be able to beat most of those monsters in Ch11 when you first get there. Though interestingly enough finding a way to do so was the most fun I had in the game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

It's just you.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

When I got onto that Steppe, first monster killed me. Tried to fight it again. Killed me. Then went on to next monster. Beat it. Boosted with confidence, I attacked one of the giant turtles. It stood on my head and killed me.

Basically, you're not meant to be able to kill them. What I did was followed the first couple of Marks (or C'ieth quests, whatever they're called) around the Steppe, then the ones that went the way you come down from at the beginning, then moved on with the game.

I had an incredibly hard and frustrating time with the game. I think it might be because I hated it so much though, I didn't have the patience to fiddle with the paradigms, take time to understand the intricacies of upgrading weapons, etc. Also there weren't any places I was willing to stay in long enough to grind. But yeah, I got my butt kicked a million times, whereas I never had a problem with any prior FF. Not fun!!
    なんだかずっと夢を見ていたようだ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    When I got onto that Steppe, first monster killed me. Tried to fight it again. Killed me. Then went on to next monster. Beat it. Boosted with confidence, I attacked one of the giant turtles. It stood on my head and killed me.
    Yup.

You can really only hope to stand against the Gorgo...somethings (wolf things) and pink receding-shell aardvark-y things when you first get to the Steppe. You might be able to beat a Behemoth if you manage to ambush it.

edit: oh yeah. And those happy looking penguin-blobs. They're not so bad either.

Some of the monster groups actually require startegy to win.

As someone else said, most of the beast on Gran Pulse are supposed to be unbeatable when you first get there.

I personally think this is the hardest FF game and this has been stated in my many reviews as well.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It's just you.
    Of course. The 99% of XIII players grind before moving on, therefore rendering the higher level enemies absolutely useless with ease.

I didn't grind.

At least not during the first ten chapters.

arise within you

The vallis media (whatever you call it) is a good place to grind CP if you really need it. Those little mechanical machines are easy to beat, respawn quickly, and offer a good amount of CP once beaten. Mark hunting, though, is ideal because it's a less tedious approach to advancing the crystarium and you get extra items along the way.

This game is pretty difficult if you're not used to the battle system. I honestly struggled on various occasions..
    i am a meteor mixed with holy.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    It's just you.
    Of course. The 99% of XIII players grind before moving on, therefore rendering the higher level enemies absolutely useless with ease.
    I never really grinded.

Well, except in chapter 13, after i beat the storyline last boss.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    It's just you.
    I never really grinded.

Well, except in chapter 13, after i beat the storyline last boss.
    Ditto. I always seemed to max out all my skills by the end of every chapter, so there seemed to be no point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    edit: oh yeah. And those happy looking penguin-blobs. They're not so bad either.
    They are if you let them summon. . . .