Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does XIII have the worst cast of all FF's?

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Gouken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Okay. Sweet sounding girl who comes across as overly happy but is actually hiding all sorts of things. I've met a few of those. When I say unrealistic, I mean more like... royal princesses and strong knights. These kind of personalities don't really exist to my knowledge.

When I said design extremes, I'm talking pants with different sized leggings (hi Tidus), etc. Keeping in mind her design is around 600 years old, I don't think it's insane at all.
    OK, i concede about the good designs - the characters dressed somewhat better than probabley any FF. Though Ashe in a short skirt > Lightening in a short skirt, and i miss frans hooker outfit

But Vanille having a realistic personality i just can't agree with. How many people do you know who bounce along oohing and aaahing at everything? Anyone over the age of 10 doing this would certainly be considered a little strange in reality
    Vanille isn't exactly an adult. And regardless, people do treat Vanille like she's a bit odd. The entire chapter where it's just her & Sazh has Sazh looking at her like a crazy person more than once. And there is even one scene in the game where Vanille does something and the cast says: "What now?"

And as Loony BoB has said, there are plenty of people who hide their issues by putting on this overly happy face. Yes, Vanille's oohs and aahs can get a bit irritating and are over-done, but the character as a whole is something quite unusual for a FF (normally, it's just the Rikku, Selphie, Yuffie mould).

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Okay. Sweet sounding girl who comes across as overly happy but is actually hiding all sorts of things. I've met a few of those. When I say unrealistic, I mean more like... royal princesses and strong knights. These kind of personalities don't really exist to my knowledge.

When I said design extremes, I'm talking pants with different sized leggings (hi Tidus), etc. Keeping in mind her design is around 600 years old, I don't think it's insane at all.
    OK, i concede about the good designs - the characters dressed somewhat better than probabley any FF. Though Ashe in a short skirt > Lightening in a short skirt, and i miss frans hooker outfit

But Vanille having a realistic personality i just can't agree with. How many people do you know who bounce along oohing and aaahing at everything? Anyone over the age of 10 doing this would certainly be considered a little strange in reality
    Vanille isn't exactly an adult. And regardless, people do treat Vanille like she's a bit odd. The entire chapter where it's just her & Sazh has Sazh looking at her like a crazy person more than once. And there is even one scene in the game where Vanille does something and the cast says: "What now?"

And as Loony BoB has said, there are plenty of people who hide their issues by putting on this overly happy face. Yes, Vanille's oohs and aahs can get a bit irritating and are over-done, but the character as a whole is something quite unusual for a FF (normally, it's just the Rikku, Selphie, Yuffie mould).
    she's 19, here in the UK, that's an adult. Vanille definitley has more going on that selphie/rikku etc but it's still amazing that SE gave a reason for her super annoying hyper wierd crap and suddenly everyone feels her behaviour is justified and willingly accept it.

So she might be more developed than Rikku and selphie but to me she's still the annoying one. Lightening is still the cold-heated merc like cloud, Hope is still the whiney Tidus - regardless of how much more went into the characters, regardless of improved character depth and whatnot, SE proved they only do certain generic personalities
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

I admit I was kind off like are you kidding me when I discovered what his personality was like. But he redeems himself after chapter 7 when he loses his whining powers. All other characters are great all way through, the only character I thought was really terrible was Nora. I shivered when I had to hear her moms are though line. Twice.

Vanille isn't all that bad, I think most hate is because of her voice actress. She has a way more pleasant voice in the Japanese version.

Lightning shows signs of remorse about her sister as well as devotion to both duty and family, something Cloud eventually ends up being. The whole purpose of Lightning doing what she does is because of the love of her sister.

And Vanille is the narrator of the game. There is a clear juxtaposition in the immature oohing and aahing she does in-game to the sad, lonely narration that she provides. This would suggest something new to the character.

Hope starts off whiney and useless, but develops immensely throughout the game. His story-arc is one of the longest and most realistic of all the characters (accounting for this being a fantasy game and it mirroring a whole lot of coming of age stories).

Sazh - generic? Who exactly is he similar to? And Snow? And Fang? I made a thread about this. There seems to be a combination of characters in them, but not 1 unique character from any Final Fantasy.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Lightning shows signs of remorse about her sister as well as devotion to both duty and family, something Cloud eventually ends up being. The whole purpose of Lightning doing what she does is because of the love of her sister.
    She's still a cold to the bone ex-soldier fighting for someone she lost. Despite minor details, Lightening still = Cloud

And Vanille is the narrator of the game. There is a clear juxtaposition in the immature oohing and aahing she does in-game to the sad, lonely narration that she provides. This would suggest something new to the character.
    Wow, that was never done in FFX... oh wait, yeah it was

Hope starts off whiney and useless, but develops immensely throughout the game. His story-arc is one of the longest and most realistic of all the characters (accounting for this being a fantasy game and it mirroring a whole lot of coming of age stories).
    Again, minor details and added depth, but still he's just as whiney as Tidus. I get people like him because he does grow up eventually, but he will ALWAYS be known as the whiney one despite this and despite how much people will stand up for him.

Sazh - generic? Who exactly is he similar to? And Snow? And Fang? I made a thread about this. There seems to be a combination of characters in them, but not 1 unique character from any Final Fantasy.
    Yep, Sazh is the best of the bunch and only has small similarities with previous FF characters. But i didn't even pick up on those until mentioned in your thread so Sazh is alright in my book. Snow is your basic "I'm gunna save the world or rescue the girl" hero. There's really little special about him. I have no comments with fang, not really sure why, maybe i wouldn't have even noticed if she was there half the time, she could have been anyone.... oh god please don't give me an essay of how great her character is lol, i'm happy not caring
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

but he will ALWAYS be known as the whiney one despite this and despite how much people will stand up for him.
    Very true. He'll be remembered like that not because it's true, but because he was condemned to this before people even played the game. It's an automatic, ridiculous and pathetic reflex: people see kid character, immediatly think annoying or emo. Even if the game proves them wrong, they will still lie away and say the kid is emo and annoying and whiney because it's a tradition to say that, not because it's true or not.

*shrugs*

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope, they're the best part of the game imo. Except Snow, that filth.

No, not at all the worst, and I'm insulted that anyone would EVER ask that. This was actually my favorite cast in a long time. Since probably 10. Everyone had some sort of story, everyone played a part in the overall main arc, everyone (save for maybe Snow) had good designs to them, and I felt attached to all of them (again, save for maybe Snow).

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, there are still casts I hate more but I do feel that it takes forever for most of them to come into the fold and even then they all fail to keep their momentum until the end of the game. Still, I feel that was more of the writing of the plot than the characters themselves. If I was going to be critical (and god knows I always am) my issue with the cast is that I have seen most of them done before and frankly much better in other games.

I really like all the main characters in XIII, I definitely think they're some of the best in the series.

i have to agree - i really enjoyed the cast in this game. the way they interact with each other and their developments throughout the game were very enjoyable. two thumbs up! and whoever said XII had one of the worst casts...i'll have to agree on that as well.
    yes, i'm a FFXIII fan.

Banned

FFXIII had a wonderful cast. XII had the worst in my opinion, not because they were annoying, but because I didn't freaking know them at all or care about them. I don't blame the characters, but the way the story is told basically just has the characters there to move the story further which has very, very little to do with the people you're playing as. A lot of people liked this, mind you. I didn't (even though I did like FFXII as a whole).

I really liked FFXIII's cast. Lightning was a wonderful protagonist, possibly my favorite FF heroine ever. The only characters I didn't particularly fancy were Hope and Vanille early on, but by the end of the game I was even liking them. Yay for character development.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Anyone who thinks that a 19/20 year old can't get easily excited about little things and say things like "Oooooh, I want to squeeze them until they pop!" and clap their hands like a little kid clearly has not met my girlfriend when she's in a happy mood.

EDIT: And now that I think about it, I can think of a few others I know that are like that, too, including people from this forum. Hell, on occasion, even I can be like that - where's the fun in being serious all the time? But, for what it's worth, when Danielle does those weird things I do look at her like she's lost the plot. Or I just laugh. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I'm a 22 year old girl and I have been known to run around like a manic, stop and say "ooo shiny"

Then again vanilles constant need to squeek, grunt and oooo at every movement is annoying. I don't do that lol

Blog Entries

Being A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. makes the oohs and aaah happen a lot.
    Trust me, I know how it is when a butterfly catches your attention, or anything shiny for that matter.
    I seriously doubt Vanille's ADD, but other people probably would just shrug it off as being ADD.
    And the part about anyone over the age of 10 oohing and aahing, meet my 14 year old cousin, you will be fricken AMAZED at what catches her attention and she oohs/aahs over.