Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does XIII have the worst cast of all FF's?

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Gouken View Post
    she's 19, here in the UK, that's an adult. Vanille definitley has more going on that selphie/rikku etc but it's still amazing that SE gave a reason for her super annoying hyper weird crap and suddenly everyone feels her behaviour is justified and willingly accept it.

So she might be more developed than Rikku and selphie but to me she's still the annoying one. Lightening is still the cold-heated merc like cloud, Hope is still the whiney Tidus - regardless of how much more went into the characters, regardless of improved character depth and whatnot, SE proved they only do certain generic personalities
    Wait, wait, wait. You are complaining that people accept a given reason as justification for behaviour. Where exactly is the problem?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    This was actually my favorite cast in a long time. Since probably 10.
    Well... since XI is an online game, XII is the only game in the main series that comes inbetween X and XIII. In other words, saying that FFXIII had the best cast since FFX, is pretty much the same as simply saying "FFXIII had a better cast than FFXII".

Couldn't help pointing that out.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Gouken View Post
    she's 19, here in the UK, that's an adult. Vanille definitley has more going on that selphie/rikku etc but it's still amazing that SE gave a reason for her super annoying hyper weird crap and suddenly everyone feels her behaviour is justified and willingly accept it.

So she might be more developed than Rikku and selphie but to me she's still the annoying one. Lightening is still the cold-heated merc like cloud, Hope is still the whiney Tidus - regardless of how much more went into the characters, regardless of improved character depth and whatnot, SE proved they only do certain generic personalities
    Wait, wait, wait. You are complaining that people accept a given reason as justification for behaviour. Where exactly is the problem?
    If Rikku or Yuffie were given solid reasons as to why they behave so strangeley, that wouldn't make me find them any less annoying. If i created a backstory to give barny the dinosaur a deep and logical reason as to why he bahaves the way he does, will grown men and women start to enjoy his crap too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you find Rikku annoying then you're just wrong on all matters by default tbqh

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    If you find Rikku annoying then you're just wrong on all matters by default tbqh
    Great arguement that

Rikku wasn't really bad in FFX. X-2 however is another story...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

They might not be the worst cast of all FF's, but they're certainly pushing it. They're all pretty standard genre archetypes and they all at some point or another made decisions that made little sense just to move the story along the way the writer wanted. None of them were very interesting, and most were downright annoying. I honestly will never play the game again in part because having to listen to anymore of Vanille, Snow, Hope, or even lightning would drive me insane.

Sazh wasn't too bad though. He was actually kind of relateable whenever he was actually responding the way a normal person would to everything that happened.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

To anyone making noises about Vanille making noises, it should be noted that most of the characters also make noises - just not as annoying.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I felt like the cast was designed much better than some of the previous Final Fantasy games. I had problems with some of the design information, like, for example, why does Hope wield a boomerang in combat and where does it come from in the first time you play as him? There is nothing mentioned about it. Later on, he expresses interests in using one of Lightning's weapon and is shown wielding her combat knife, and I think that would have made a better weapon for him than boomerangs in a world like this.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Yes, XIII had the worst cast of all time.

Lightning is supposed to be some cool Cloud like character, but she is just a boring whiny girl who seemingly has no moral core. The scene in the food-making place in PalumPolum where Hope makes her have that dumb epiphany is so laughable, I mean, Lightning just comes across as a complete moron. I guess Cloud wasn't really as cool as people remember him, and I think Lightning is a thousand times less cool. Her voice acting doesn't help, it's obvious that the actor was given no context and didn't understand how the lines were to be delivered. Also her character design is so terrible. What kind of warrior would want a belt right under her boobs and a mini skirt, and her gun sword carrying case flapping against the back of her legs while she is running??! (I am against mini skirts in any ps2 and after FF, it just looks silly.)

All Hope does is whine and be an idiot in the first half of the game, then after that all he does is constantly have some weird moment where he says some infantile dialogue about not giving up, as the rest of the group looks on. He is just way too annoying and unrealistically dumb to be interesting. I just don't understand what type of person he is trying to be. If someone did to me what Hope thinks Snow did to him, what sort of person would act the way Hope does?!?!

The only character I find mildly realistic or interesting is Sazh, just because I sympathize with him and his story. I still can't get over what an idiot they portray him as in the first hour or so of the game, though.

Fang is fine, she's cool and all but not amazingly compelling. Vanille is Satan. I guess it is a slightly good point that she acts all cheery and stuff but actually feels like crap on the inside, but she is just too annoying for me to care about her in any way other than wanting her to fall off a cliff. Her voice acting is needless to say the most perplexingly dumb thing I have ever heard.

Snow is the stupidest character in any FF game. He honestly acts like a dumb 11 year old. His character just baffles me. I think he was the result of a lost bet, that is the only way I can keep my mind from exploding.

I would not want any harm to befall the cast of say, FFXII, cos I love those guys and want them to have great lives. But every time there is a fake death scare in FFXIII I'm just like, "Oh, cool, I hope they are really dead!". I wouldn't want Sazh to die though, but he is the only one.

[Sorry for the over-long post but GOD that felt good]
    なんだかずっと夢を見ていたようだ

I actually liked the cast a lot, although maybe because, having just had FFXII, a game where we spend a lot of time on the cast seemed like fresh air.

Lightning I thought was most boring, just because she seemed like an unholy hybrid of Cloud and Ashe. But, I didn't hate her, which was a start.

Fang I liked. She was a great example of a 'selfish' character- she was perfectly willing to carry out her destiny as a L'cie, even if it caused others to get hurt, as long as the people she cared about were safe.

Snow annoyed me a little, I admit, but I grew to like him when we start to see his doubtful side, such as his reaction to Serah getting crystallized or Hope trying to kill him. It's like he's trying so hard to believe his own hype, because he knows that if he stops he'll just break.

Hope I could, uh, 'sympathise' with. He's just a kid, and it's normal to have mental breakdowns over little things, never mind finding out your destiny is to either kill people or turn into a monster. Plus, I like revenge filled characters who actually act on it.

Vanille was annoying, but like Snow, I grew to like her when I realised that she was putting on a face. Also, I think being crystallized for several hundred years might have messed up her brain a bit.

I know I whine about this game too much but to me it does. In my opinion it's tied with XII. However XII had human NPC's with actual relevance to the story while XIII at least made the characters interact with eachother on a regular basis even if what they said was the same old "We're L'Cie, we must complete our focus to protect cocoon and take down the Fal'Cie" stuff over and over.

Each to their own I guess. I know a lot of people think this is the best cast but to me all the playable characters just seemed pretty bland and I couldn't connect with any of them. The villain(s - if you count all the fal'cie) never had much of a presence to me and the few people outside the main party with lines didn't do much or were killed off before doing anything at all.