Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which FF had the best setting??

Spira is also my favorite. I'm in love with the farplane

I'd say Final fantasy 12 would be second, I always like the village that Fran comes from; despite being small.

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Oath View Post
    Setting wise, IX.

XII had potential to be the best i think, but it didnt get there.

IX really was good, especially the first continent (name is lost somewhere in my head)
    -Alexandra castle
    -ice cavern and evil forest
    -then theres the little town of deli
    -Lindublum is awesome with airships
    -The gates that connect everything

Could go on.
    That is exactly what I think.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

This topic falls under -Satisfying a fanbase- limit of fiction. In other words, like a previous poster said, our bias towards the game we like.

Otherwise its the day the game comes out until the next one is released.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

Blog Entries

The old games don't stand a chance do they?

I think that every single Final Fantasy had its own charms. VII did the whole steampunk thing, and some of the areas are really beautiful. I loved Cosmo Canyon for example.

For me, VIII would be the most diverse. You have the European based cities of Dollet, Deling and Balamb, the towny feel of Winhill and Timber, the techno capital of Esthar, and then Shumi Village. And you've got to love the Shumis. And the Ragnarok, in my opinion, is the best looking airship in the entire series (Invincible comes close, mind you).

IX was very cute, and there was a certain charm to the world. The design of the world gave it a softness and Disney-ness which was different. My issue is that they continuously blow up cities, but whatever. And Cleyra must be one of the more awesome places in the world.

X was very pretty. The world was small, but it really did look amazing in some places. I liked the relaxed coastal village of Besaid and Kilika. I digged Luca as well. Bevelle was alright too. And the design of the temples and some of the world was really something else.

XII just gave me the Vagrant Story look. Some of the towns looked just as good as X, and unlike X, it had this massive feel of space. Square really pushed the boundaries of the PS2 in making such large spaces so detailed. Honestly, sometimes I ran around the world just admiring it.

I thought XIII had a setting just as good as any Final Fantasy. Gran Pulse has some pretty places and there is that Sunscape that Sazh and Vanille walk on which is really beautiful. But, although you were very limited in where you could go, the cities were utterly massive. And Bodhum must be my favourite village in all Final Fantasies.

So, it really does come down to personal preference. I'm going with VIII as my first pick. I can't choose a 2nd though. They are too tight.

IV. :yamete:
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> FF10 hands down, followed by FF9..
    FF7 had some interesting paces like Midgar and the Gold Saucer but everything else was pretty generic..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm a sucker for steampunk so VI and VII's worlds hold a special place in my heart.
    (SPOILER)

In terms of high fantasy, FFIV and IX are my favorites cause they embody more of what I want out of a fantasy setting.

(SPOILER)

XII is also a very rich and well designed world which definetly does an odd balancing act in terms of making locations that look like something close to the old school games but throwing in some heavy sci-fi looking elements (Archades, the Occurians home in orbit, airships in general...)

(SPOILER)

I've yet to like any of Square/Squenix's attempts at making something more sci-fi like. I still feel that some of the mechanical designs in VIII, X, and XIII are so overtly gaudy in design that its hard to take some of the games elements seriously. This applies more to VIII and XIII though...

(SPOILER)

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I really like FFVII's world in general, but I had the most fun exploring FFXII's world. Those two are definitely among the best for me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFVII and FFX's world were great, but FFIX's storybook-esque setting did it for me.

Blog Entries

Had to post this:

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I got to go with Spira. VII's my favorite game, I'll go with X as the best world, followed by VIII, VII, and finally by IX.

I really didn't mean for it to be only PS1 and PS2, but they're worlds were gorgeous.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I think most of these opinions will just be biasedly based on our favorite FFs, mine included so I'm unsurprisingly going to say IX. I'm not sure about the second though.
    That's okay, though, I feel its exactly this kind of thing which influences which game is our favorites, because setting provides a lot of that subconscious stimulus to our sensory pleasures and such.

So I probably go with VII, it was a very complicated place holding the battle between nature and technology, its geological systems were explained in detail, and most of all, they actually found a way for the music to fit in with such an unusual setting.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It's very difficult to say, for me. I think it would be between any of the latest four additions to the main series.

FFX has some absolutely gorgeous settings. The pictures supplied by Chris do well to show just some of the many beautiful locations you saw in the story.

FFXI has variety galore, although I think it suffers slightly from having any stunning cutscenes with dramatic colouring/lighting which could have pushed it to the levels of the other three games mentioned in this post. I think single player games have an advantage in this area, however it remains to be seen if FFXIV can bridge that gap - I think it may just do it.

FFXII has the best of X & XI moulded together. The style of movement and battling coming and going in real time meant that it had to be expanded a lot which limited things, however there were some moments where I was blown away by the brilliance of what they'd put together. I thoroughly enjoyed the Giza Plains and how they changed over the seasons, something I think that should happen in all future FF games. There were deep jungles which were lovely, but the one thing that really won my heart was near the end of the game - the "edge of the world" where an entire ocean turned to a fantastic waterfall, and the tower at the top... it was just amazing. I have yet to see a location make me simply think "Wow." as much as that.

FFXIII's graphics meant that it was always going to be ahead of the rest when it comes to detail, but I think there was also an added bonus in having two contrasting worlds. Some of the scenery was beautiful, particularly on Pulse. I actually wish there were more cutscenes on Pulse, if only to show off the scenery like FFX did so well.

All things told, the individual location award for me goes to FFXII while the overall world award goes to FFX. Even though I didn't like the game so much, I adored the scenery.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I'm biased to FFIX, so that's where I'd throw in my hat. FFX and FFXII also had beautiful environments thanks to the graphical upgrades. I thought FFXIII could've done better (too many drab, boring dungeons) but of course it looked beautiful, especially the icy areas.

Other than IX, I'd give it to X.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky