Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What new classes would you like to see in FFXIV?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There are similarities there to the Puppetmaster job from FFXI. You customize your puppet to play the roll you want it to. It would be cool to build something from scratch though, like a robot.

It would be neat to take all the best parts from the pet jobs in FFXI: Beastmaster, Summoner, and Puppetmaster, and roll them into one for some ultimate pet job. I liked aspects from all three of those jobs in FFXI but they all had their drawbacks.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    There are similarities there to the Puppetmaster job from FFXI. You customize your puppet to play the roll you want it to. It would be cool to build something from scratch though, like a robot.

It would be neat to take all the best parts from the pet jobs in FFXI: Beastmaster, Summoner, and Puppetmaster, and roll them into one for some ultimate pet job. I liked aspects from all three of those jobs in FFXI but they all had their drawbacks.
    Does the marionette's appearance change and stuff?

Yeah, I mean that there would be completely different styles of builds, body types, body parts, and all kinds of different things that you could use as materials for the machine. Then, you can add items as you go. You could always add items. Of course, some items, given in junction with other items already in use as materials of the machine, would detract from the specific machine's role. Say that you wanted a White Mage machine. You'd add potions, restorative items, maybe a few items specific to White Mage machines, a staff or two, and then the generic parts of each machine, such as the power source and the body parts. You now have a White Mage machine. However, if you then put an offensive item, such as an Arctic Wind (or such item's equivalent), the machine gains offensive points, but loses healing points. This would be detrimental to the Engineer if he wanted a White Mage.

There's a lot that one could do with this job! The basis for it is that the Engineer has very few attacks himself or herself, having mostly buffing skills which can only be used on the machine when s/he's building it. His or her main skills would simply be directions for the machine, such as the manner in which the Trainer Dressphere from X-2 acts in battle.

I'd rock this class up so good.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah you are pretty much describing Puppetmaster exactly right now.

Wow, well that's awesome! Hopefully it'll be back in XIV then XD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well yours is a little cooler since it involves robots.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Mogi View Post
    Wow, well that's awesome! Hopefully it'll be back in XIV then XD
    Square Enix has already said that no jobs in FFXI will appear in FFXIV.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Bababababababard!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I'm actually curious if musical instruments will be in the list of weapons for the game. If they are, I'm sure "bard-type" abilities will be brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch!
    Square Enix has already said that no jobs in FFXI will appear in FFXIV.
    Not by name, anyway. If you want to pick it apart, there are so many similarities between previous jobs and the current classes. It's just that they go by different names to allow for more choices, from what it looks like to me anyway. Seems more to me that all the previous jobs were mixed together and came out the other end in different combinations of abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by oddler View Post
    Not by name, anyway. If you want to pick it apart, there are so many similarities between previous jobs and the current classes. It's just that they go by different names to allow for more choices, from what it looks like to me anyway. Seems more to me that all the previous jobs were mixed together and came out the other end in different combinations of abilities.
    Please also realise the mechanics are completely different from FFXI. I understand that SE will be giving the battle system a complete face lift for beta, but what they've talked about gives no signs to it being like FFXI.

Therefor no jobs in FFXI in description or name will be in FFXIV, because the game plays 100% differently.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I imagine some basic things will be obvious enough. I mean, a character who heals using magic is a white mage, and everyone knows that.

I'm currently not a fan of the new naming conventions they have. I mean, gladiator? Pugilist? Are we playing Final Fantasy or Age of Empires? Should've stuck with the original styling of names, I reckon. But that's just names, and so long as the gameplay is good I'm sure I won't be that bothered.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, Omecle. But it's just like BoB says; I'm sure there are going to be plenty of players that say, "Hey, set-up like a THF/NIN so you can get do this and this in battle."

I'm sure, in the end, the class you choose will depend on the necessities of the task at hand, be it ultimately a "Tank," "Damage Dealer," "Healer," or "Support." My point being that in an MMORPG setting when you shave it down to basics, how different can it be fundamentally?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah I don't like the use of new names either, but I guess they want to differentiate this game from FFXI as much as possible. That part scares me because FFXI is really good.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I agree with BoB. I understand the need to differentiate but the new names definitely make it sound less Final Fantasy-ish.

Ok I'm playing the alpha so I'll clear some things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I imagine some basic things will be obvious enough. I mean, a character who heals using magic is a white mage, and everyone knows that.

I'm currently not a fan of the new naming conventions they have. I mean, gladiator? Pugilist? Are we playing Final Fantasy or Age of Empires? Should've stuck with the original styling of names, I reckon. But that's just names, and so long as the gameplay is good I'm sure I won't be that bothered.
    There's no single job that will define who your character is. At the moment you can use abilities from other jobs, and so far the jobs are much more free and the mechanics encourage you to play in this way which is much more different than FFXI. At the moment there's two mage classes; conjurer and thaumaturge, there's healing, buffing, debuffing, and damage spells but there is no way you can define either one as being a red mage, black mage or white mage with how they are built and how they play. They just feel too different from those classes.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, Omecle. But it's just like BoB says; I'm sure there are going to be plenty of players that say, "Hey, set-up like a THF/NIN so you can get do this and this in battle."
    I don't think you do understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that the core mechanics are completely different and so you could not make direct connections to FFXI and try and use FFXI as a basis for what you should do. And the players that try and do that will soon find they have to better adapt themselves to the new game because it isn't just FFXI HD.

I'm sure, in the end, the class you choose will depend on the necessities of the task at hand, be it ultimately a "Tank," "Damage Dealer," "Healer," or "Support." My point being that in an MMORPG setting when you shave it down to basics, how different can it be fundamentally?
    It can be very different considering you can change jobs on the fly and use another job's abilities. This is pretty much the ultimate freedom that no other MMORPG has really seen before and it sets players up to customise their characters in to even a few of those roles at the one time.

However, that's not the point I was trying to make. Yes, you get the basic kinds of roles players want to take and define themselves as, but I can tell you now none of the jobs in FFXIV play anything like FFXI and those fundamental core mechanics are a completely different beast, so none of the jobs in FFXI as they stand right now would work in the world of FFXIV.

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I agree with BoB. I understand the need to differentiate but the new names definitely make it sound less Final Fantasy-ish.
    While I was a little disappointed, I can fully understand why they'd want to. And I'll be completely honest; while playing the game feels far more Final Fantasy than FFXI, other than the class names - which to be honest isn't really a big deal and you get used to it rather fast.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So you can change classes mid-battle like in XIII or X-2?