Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What new classes would you like to see in FFXIV?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default What new classes would you like to see in FFXIV?

What new classes would you like to see in FFXIV that weren't in FFXI? FFXI had a lot of great classes, but let's see something new. Don't forget to give your class a unique weapon since that's what defines a class in this game.

For reference, here is a link to classes that have already been announced.

Class: Geomancer
    Weapon: The ALL POWERFUL bell!
    Abilities: Has different abilities depending on the terrain it is on. Standing in water will alow it to send waves at the enemy, standing in snow will allow it to create an icicle barrier for the party, standing in sand will allow it to create sand pits, etc. I really wished for this job to be added to FFXI because it's always been a favorite FF job of mine and it's very innovative and creates some varied gameplay.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

That's what I was gonna say when I saw the thread title!

Summoner!

If not that, more of a hunter type class. I liked beastmaster in FFXI but it really stands no chance of being a fun class like hunter from WoW. I'd love to be profecient in my archery skills, be able to set traps and fire status effected arrows along with having a wild beast as my companion that grows alongside me.

I do really like pet classes, but they're usually the outcast which is a real shame. They have so much potential but are never developed how I'd like them to be.

I would like to see some sort of ninja/rogue type class. Not for tanking, but just to be one of those sneaky, seedy and mysterious type classes roaming the lands. And yes, a geomancer class would be really awesome.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah an actual ninja class that doesn't end up being a tank would be cool. Maybe make shurikens super cheap so Throw is actually a viable option. Throw defines ninjas in the FF series and no one in FFXI does it.

A pet class where your pet levels up with you would be sweet! I'd totally play that class. The weapon could be whips.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

FENCER.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Fencer sounds cool. The way the jobs look like they're going to be split in XIV seems awesome to me because it appears that it'll be way open-ended as far as customization. Like geomancy sounds like it would fit in really well with a Conjurer's abilities with elements.

A mime ability would be sweet but it'd probably be hard to accomplish and balance correctly. And I'd love a Ninja's Throw ability to be a cost-effective option; maybe make shurikens really easy to make through smithing or something. Plus, it sounds like range is going to be a big deal in the game so that makes throwing sound even more awesome.

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

Pet classes are pretty cool, thats why I was thinking Chocobo Knight. Although I guess you could just buy a chocobo and call yourself a knight. But I was think that as your chocobo levels up it could learn how to run on water and fly. Weapon....shield and lance would be appropriate.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hmm... FFXI had a lot of the jobs that I liked, so aside from Geomancer I can't really think of any! I do hope that if they have a dancer job, they revamp it so that it's better than it was in FFXI.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, FFXI had some great classes. I always want a Blue Mage class, but I don't know how they could do it better than they did in FFXI. BLU is the best.

Perhaps they can combine some classes, like Thief/Ninja that was already mentioned. It would be cool to see a class steal a weapon off an enemy and then throw it right back at them!

Also combine Summoner and Beastmaster to create the ultimate pet class. You have your own pet that levels up with you and you can choose what abilities it learns and uses in battle, without the restriction of mp. That would totally be my choice if it was offered.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

DNC is generally unappreciated in Final Fantasy XI. Haste Samba is one of the most ridiculous things in the entire game, mostly because haste contributing to the job ability cap is so rare (the only other example I can think of off the top of my head is hasso's haste bonus, but I know there are others). That said, it's been more interesting in previous games simply because there was a lot more bleed-over between BRD and DNC which would have been unacceptable in FFXI.

To elaborate on my point about fencer, I'd really like to see a DD job which focuses on swordplay. RDM, PLD, and BLU can all utilize sword skill in FFXI, but RDM's is almost exclusively for solo ventures, PLD focuses too heavily on defense to really match up against other DDs (the only exception I've ever seen was a guy dual-wielding excalibur and a kraken club), and as proficient as BLU may be with a sword, there's no use pretending that BLU is made by their spells, not their swords.

I'd like to see a fencer to see a job that focuses on using a sword for offensive purposes (as I understand it, gladiator is closer to PLD than anything else). Perhaps they could focus on speed rather than brute force.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Or maybe precision? Like use a different strike based on how the mob is standing? It would be cool if they could implement a system like this. In real swordplay you don't just hack in the same motion over and over, you study your opponent's defenses and go for the weak point.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

Maybe a Fencer could ignore/bypass certain enemy defenses, like piercing defense bonuses or the ability to block/guard.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would be super awesome if you we could give our pets/summons armor!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions

I like the idea of adopting different stances. Perhaps one stance utilizes thrusts for piercing type damage while another various swings for slashing type. Since distance is an important aspect of combat, the thrusting stance might give the advantage of attacking from slightly further away while imposing a penalty to damage while slashing is more close-quarters at a bonus to damage. Hell, even defensive stances with penalties to offense for bonuses to parrying.

I'd love to see that kind of versatility, but I'm not banking on it.

I had an idea for a Summoner-esque class! The class is Engineer, and they use items to "build" summons specific to their class. The strength of the summon would be based upon the character's class, the strength of the items used, the character's affinity with whichever summon it was (their experience "building" the model), and perhaps a Luck modifier here and there. It'd be neat if you could build a machine - or summon, if you must - and then, even though it's already "built," you could continue to add items to it in different ways. Items would become damaged as the summon took damage, and if the summon was completely killed, there's a risk of losing some of the items involved in creating the machine, but there'd be no MP involved, the summons would be much more dynamic than those called by Summoners, and they'd potentially be much stronger.