Thread: Tidus and Auron

Default Tidus and Auron

I've always wondered about the exact relationship between these two. I figured he was a guardian to Tidus (by which I mean someone who stands in for the parents of a minor) rather than the classic creepy karate master who observes from a distance and pulls a deus ex machina if something goes wrong.

Flashbacks suggest to me that he was at the very least a family friend, even a member of the household, but how the hell would you do that? If you met a weird man, supposedly washed up on the shore and unable to wear his coat correctly (what's up with that anyway), would you let him near your seven year old son? Maybe if he had 'proof' that he knew Jecht, like a written statement with his autograph on it, but that would get him a whole lot of unneeded attention for having met a really famous missing person.

I also get chuckles from imagining Auron in a parental role, cooking dinner for Tidus and the like. I'm reckoning Dream Zanarkand has no education system, but I'd love to see Auron helping Tidus with his homework. Tidus was orphaned for the greater part of his life, so Auron must've done a lot in the way of raising. Can anyone give me their opinion on how Tidus acts regarding his age? I'm bad at these things.

Most likely Auron didn't tell anyone about meeting Jetch in Spira. I mean it would produce exactly the same kind of reaction that people gave Tidus when he talked about coming from Zanarkand, like he's nuts or something, plus he doesn't have the all convenient "Toxin from Sin" excuse. Auron isn't the most talkative guy either. He probably just told Tidus and his mom that he's a friend of Jetch's without really needing any proof.

I imagine Tidus's mom, being grief stricken would not have given a rat's ass about who was looking after her son since she didn't have the will to look after him herself. It was shown in the game that after Jetch went missing she just moped about and Tidus woefully neglected-> one of the reasons he hated Jetch even more. And I dunno if Tidus had any education? Maybe he just played blitzball from his childhood to his teens.

There's no doubt though Auron's a parental figure to Tidus, even during the pilgrimmage. He would tell Tidus that Jetch loved him, and tell little anectdotes about Jetch. I think that's just great.

I imagine he tried to help Mrs Jetch too but to no avail. He sounded so distressed when she was withering away.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I alway thought Auron is a pedophile.

There's tonnes of really freaky Tidus/Auron slash fan fic.....

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Auron wouldn't have shown up in Dream Zanarkand until way after Jecht had disappeared. They went on and completed the entire Sin pilgrimage and Auron had time to go back and try to beat up Yunalesca before he died.

I always figured he came around and told Tidus that he was a friend of Jecht's and looked out for Tidus. Of course Tidus was probably well on his way to Blitzball stardom at that point as well, and if Final Fantasy has taught me anything it's that talented teenagers often live alone and fend for themselves in the world.

Also, Christmas is an infidel.

Signature by rubah. I think.

There's a flashback of Tidus' with him as a little boy where he has a conversation with Auron about the impending death of his mother. And the pilgrimage really can't be that long. Going by FFX, it's even less than a month. Spira is pretty small, ya?

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    Of course Tidus was probably well on his way to Blitzball stardom at that point as well, and if Final Fantasy has taught me anything it's that talented teenagers often live alone and fend for themselves in the world.
    I've played FFXII, and Vaan is a street urchin who does chores for an elderly shopkeeper for food. He'd also have been screwed without that handsome rogue Balthier.

By the way, judging from the early parts of the game, Tidus is hardly a resourceful person. "I need food! " "H-hey, don't go out on me!" "nom nom nom no- urrrk! Hot! Hot!"

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Tidus had everything at Dream Zanarkand, blitzball, his father fame, tons of fans, etc.. I guess he never needed Auron, for Tidus he was just a close friend..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Family friend (of both Yuna's and Tidus'), and mentor. I read nothing more into it than that.