Thread: Universillege.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Universillege.

Time for a thread, methinks.

Have you gone to/are you at/are you going to college/uni? What did/are/will you study? How did you do? Where did you go?

I read International Relations and Politics at DMU for my Bachelors, in which I got a First (Only just, I was sabotaged by communists, and I swear I am not kidding about that, Rye can confirm). Now I'm finishing up a Masters in Strategic Studies at Reading. I aim to do more in the future, once I have the money to do so, but I'm not yet sure what in. My ideal life would just be doing a thousand disparate degrees, everything from astrophysics to cybernetics to Klan Studies

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another one? These keep popping up every month.

I have a BSc. in Applied Physics (with honors, I think it's called) at the TU/e.

I'm currently doing a MSc. in Biomedical Engineering (with an extended 6 months due to transition to another field). And at this instant I'm studying for the last transition exam week. I've got exams in:

Advanced Organic Chemistry (pain in my ass, more like)
    Image Processing. (annoying algoritms)
    Radiation physics. (piece of cake)
    Flow & Diffusion (Only the Diffusion part is new)

The Organic Chemistry is taking FOREVER. I want to ritually burn this book.

I'll hopefully start at uni this September. I will be studying either English or Art for my Bachelor.

Can't wait to get started with the whole studying thing again.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

I went to uni for two months.... well.... i didn't actually go.... i was bungalowed the whole time
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I have a B.A. in Political Science and History from Gettysburg College. I'm currently at William & Mary pursuing a law degree, and will start my second year in the fall.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I have a Bachelor's in Informatics since I graduated last Friday! Woo

I read Interaction Design. I did fairly well, got top grades for the majority of my classes! I'm fairly happy with it. Now just to get a job :{

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

Planning to go once I finish my final year of 6th-form, and the idea scares me a lot. Hoping to go study Criminal Investigations but as far as I know only four uni's (at least, that I know of) do the course, mainly with police studies. It combines elements of law and psychology, and I know criminology kind of does the same but that's more about behaviour. In my opinion it's almost like giving them excuses? It's a weird way of thinking about it but the courses for CI sound so interesting!!

Just hoping to get grades and stuff, was thinking about a gap year to get some money but I'm not sure how advisable this is?

Oh, what's the difference (if any) between BSc and BA? My mum's is probably being an oldie by claiming BSc is more widely respected, without offense to anyone. I think it's a load of BS and she's a fool ;D

I am not a man

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In school getting a BSc. in Biology.

Didn't we do this thread before?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I spent my first year at Texas State University studying computer science/math and landed myself on academic suspension. I'm currently looking at schools in Florida P:

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Greenie

My first year of university was at University of Rhode Island. Middle of nowhere, though it was a decent enough school, just way overpriced. 30K a year for a state school can eff right off.

Second year was study abroad to University of Reading. I didn't like this university.

I've just transferred to Stony Brook University. So far I'm feeling really great about this place. I actually just met with my advisor today and I've gotten everything sorted, so I'll be graduating on time, thank god. I really like the campus. The price is great for instate (5K a year). The only bad thing is that the commute is 45 minutes, and it's an absolute gas guzzler.

I'm an English and Secondary Education double major.

Oh, and here is my new schedule:

Mon/Wed/Fri :

History - Postwar Japan
    10:45 am - 11:35 am

Tues/Thurs:

Writing 102

9:50 am - 11:10 am

Modern and Contemporary Lit: Hiroshima and Vietnam
    11:20 am - 12:40 pm
    Introduction to Solar System Science
    12:50 pm - 2:10 pm

Literary Analysis & Argumentation

2:20 pm - 3:40 pm

Or a chart, if you like that better.

From the stand point of commuting, it's a great schedule - no gaps. Looking at it from the work angle, it's also good. I can't work on Tuesday or Thursday, but I can work a lot on the other days of the week. But man - 10 am to 4 pm with no break. That's just mean.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I started my college career at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill in 2003. Then my life fell a part and I was gone until January 2006. I did my thang until July 2008 when my life fell apart again.

Now that I'm in a better place I'm going to take some online classes to get myself off of suspension. By December I will have a pretty daunting decision to make. Do I transfer my classes to the UNC school close to home (Asheville) or do I move back to Chapel Hill to finish my degree there? Hmm! What would you do?

Signature by rubah. I think.

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BarelySeeAtAll View Post
    Oh, what's the difference (if any) between BSc and BA? My mum's is probably being an oldie by claiming BSc is more widely respected, without offense to anyone. I think it's a load of BS and she's a fool ;D
    BSc. is a bachelor of Science, and a BA is a Bachelor of Arts.

So yeah, BSc. is more widely respected.. Because it's science, not literature or philosophy or other BS you don't use in real life. Gun to your head, what's harder and more useful, English Lit. or Physics?

You now get my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    My first year of university was at University of Rhode Island. Middle of nowhere, though it was a decent enough school, just way overpriced. 30K a year for a state school can eff right off.

Second year was study abroad to University of Reading. I didn't like this university.

I've just transferred to Stony Brook University. So far I'm feeling really great about this place. I actually just met with my advisor today and I've gotten everything sorted, so I'll be graduating on time, thank god. I really like the campus. The price is great for instate (5K a year). The only bad thing is that the commute is 45 minutes, and it's an absolute gas guzzler.
    What the hell? Seriously? That's so much money.

Another reason I'm glad I live in the Netherlands where you automatically get a full scholarship.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by BarelySeeAtAll View Post
    Nothing meaningful, seeing as some universities consider these things based on the ideas laid out by the Classical Greeks. For example, Scotland classes Physics as "Natural Philosophy" and puts it in the Arts, not Sciences.

Of course, everyone uses degree-level physics in their everyday lives, which makes it superior

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

Well if a gun was to my head, I don't think lit or physics would really help

Oh okay.....well I'm looking at the four universities (one right up in lancashire O_O..I live in DEVON >_<) soonish It's all pretty exciting

I am not a man

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really dislike when people say any major is harder or more important than another. I want to slap people who laugh at say, people taking Fashion Design major. My roommate's friend was in fashion design, and she had to take advanced chemistry as a requirement of her major, because they do chemical mixes for clothing. Besides which, it's hard to say what is harder or easier than another, because everyone (who has a choice) gravitates towards a major that comes most naturally to them. That's not to say easiest, but something they feel the most like towards and the most drive to study and work hard in.

So don't worry about which is most "respected." People who actually take that sort of thing seriously and not the work, grades and passion put into their degrees are insecure butts.