Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Benchmark Thread

The fact that getting more RAM is not much more expensive at all, and the fact that the general MMO community do not just run one program at any one time doesn't mean you only need 2-3GB of RAM. Seriously, I only have 4GB of RAM at the moment, but it'd cost me maybe $30AUD to buy another 4GB giving me 8GB total (this is only DDR2 but still...). That's like... not even close to being how much FFXIV itself will cost.

Even if you weren't playing FFXIV, I'd argue you should get 4GB or more RAM anyway. It helps greatly with multitasking and the general run of software. I'm not arguing that you must have 24GB of RAM to run this game, I'm arguing that by now you should really have 4GB or more. And you wonder why people always complain that their computer runs ty a year after they bought it...

However, this benchmark seems a lot more GPU intensive than anything else.

Btw. ATI have nice cards at much better prices than NVIDIA. But ATI drivers are just so bad that I might just end up going NVIDIA next time...

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    The fact that getting more RAM is not much more expensive at all, and the fact that the general MMO community do not just run one program at any one time doesn't mean you only need 2-3GB of RAM. Seriously, I only have 4GB of RAM at the moment, but it'd cost me maybe $30AUD to buy another 4GB giving me 8GB total (this is only DDR2 but still...). That's like... not even close to being how much FFXIV itself will cost.

Even if you weren't playing FFXIV, I'd argue you should get 4GB or more RAM anyway. It helps greatly with multitasking and the general run of software. I'm not arguing that you must have 24GB of RAM to run this game, I'm arguing that by now you should really have 4GB or more. And you wonder why people always complain that their computer runs :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty a year after they bought it...

However, this benchmark seems a lot more GPU intensive than anything else.

Btw. ATI have nice cards at much better prices than NVIDIA. But ATI drivers are just so bad that I might just end up going NVIDIA next time...
    I think I'm marginally GPU limited with my 8800 GT card, actually :p, a friend of mine's got the same video card as me, but a much better CPU, he scores about 100 points more than me :p.
    -edit-
    Yeah, i actually lose only 100 points on the benchmark by going from no antialiasing to 4x :p.

Anyway yeah, RAM is good and all. I just really don't think you'd benefit much from more than 4 GB RAM unless you're multitasking way more than "most people". I mean I've currently got 1.5 GB free (though actually used by superfetch cache, but that doesn't count :p) and that's with photoshop using 500 MB. I never saw the FF14 client use more than 5-600 MB.
    Of course, in a year or two, it might be a bit low with 4 GB.
    -edit again-
    Just checked DDR2 prices around here. they start at 600 kr (108 australian dollars) plus shipping. That's for 2x 2GB
    Last edited by Mirage; 06-20-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Just checked DDR2 prices around here. they start at 600 kr (108 australian dollars) plus shipping. That's for 2x 2GB
    That's insane. I can get it for a third of the price.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yeah, insane was what I thought too.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Where do you get your RAM from, out of curiosity? I just checked where I usually get mine from and it's over £100 for 3x2GB. I even bothered with Froogle and the lowest price I can find for "3x2GB" and "RAM" is £125.78. =|

Of course, a 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5850 is £193.62 on Froogle, too, so still a decent amount more expensive.

Most lag is caused by GPU rather than CPU - no mention of RAM so far as I can see... not sure.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I think the confusing thing for a lot of FFXI players is that FFXI is very CPU intensive and barely uses the GPU. But now it's the other way around.

I use this dodgy asian store that most likely gets their parts off the back of a truck. Really bad customer service, but nice cheap parts.

MSY-The Name you can trust-More than 13 years in IT industry-Nationalwide branches serve you & always offer the best up today IT price

They're usually cheaper in store as you can bargain a bit.

By the way BoBsicle, are you looking at DDR3 or DDR2 type RAM? And what speeds are they?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I searched on froogle.co.uk for 6GB RAM and that's the kind of result I got. Same for 3x2GB RAM. xD Didn't check much beyond the lowest price for all results.

EDIT: The site I go to when mass-purchasing tends to be Overclockers UK, although I generally check Froogle to see if I can do better by keeping certain parts ordered elsewhere. Sometimes I can, but usually the shipping costs from multiple sites causes issues. I think things in the UK are just more expensive in general. =/
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I scored 4184 on high setting with a Phenom II 1055T@3.6 GHz, 8 GB DDR2@856 MHz, and a 1 GB Radeon 5850 (775 MHz core/4.5 GHz mem). I also had 2xAA and 16xAF enabled in the driver settings. I should turn off those settings to see if it will improve my score significantly or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I have:

Processor: Intel Core 2Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
    RAM: 6GB
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD4350 512MB

I got like a 500 and something on Low. :/ Makes me a sad panda. I was sorta surprised I did that bad.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

I think Ome mentioned to me that they loaded a new benchmark because the old one didn't support ATI cards. You might want to try again.

Nah, I was talking about SLI and CrossFire compatability. People are managing to turn them on in the benchmark (basically making it full screen so that the dual cards get in to action) and are reporting scores above 10,000.

So yeah, I think the benchmark isn't really that accurate (unless you can't run it at all).

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I'm in trouble D:

My laptop can't even start the benchmark.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

What kind of video card is there in it?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Intel 965 Express Chipset

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Intel 965 Express Chipset
    LOL