Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Benchmark Thread

Blog Entries

Default THIS IS NOW A FOOTBALL MANAGER THREAD

Really? I run mine on a laptop, and the 3D mode runs smoother than something smooth. I know what you mean about the tiny players though, it's like live-action subbuteo

EDIT BY BoB: That wasn't neccessary, please don't post that kinda thing, etc.

there was a picture here

the benchmark won't run on my machine (win7) something about directx9c .dll file missing or something
    Making a slow come back since 2008

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Download the latest version of DirectX 9c.

Download details: DirectX End-User Runtime
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Man this was hella choppy. Made me feel sad. Last time I purchased computer upgrades was about 2 years ago and I've only ever played Guild Wars / WoW since then. Do not even meet minimum requirements apparently...I do believe the main cause is my graphics card hehe. It was so choppy it made my eyes hurt.

Still got about six weeks to research and see what I wanna upgrade in addition to my graphics card. I don't really want to run on minimum requirements and as a person that basically lives and breathes MMO, it really won't hurt to upgrade this year.

---

sorry for the double post but i seem to be having a problem with directx
    got windows 7 and a few upgrades but i can't install directx, it's telling me to go to some error logs in my windows folder, but i can't locate them...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Go to the Microsoft site and install directly from there. I found that this fixed any problem I had with the directx install that automatically began with the FFXIV installer.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I got mine from microsoft. Some people say to turn off your antivirus when downloading/installing it, but nothing changes really.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Strange. Bummer. Maybe raise a thread in the Help Forum?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Baloki Kyuu (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Senior Site Staff

You have to download the directx 9c as well as directx 10 components I found :/
    FOA

I scored a 1342 on low, on a 2.40ghz (2 cpus) Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS. I need to upgrade or maybe I'll save the money and wait it out tell the Ps3 version is released .

FF14 was a crappy PS3 port; the requirements for running this game are far too high for the quality given. They've even been daft enough to use a software mouse on the PC version - I mean just /why/ would you do that!? I can't see myself playing this game because the requirements needed are far too high to run on a PC; my computer is able to run any game thusfar without fault hence it's Square's incompetent decision to go with a PS3->PC port instead of the other way around. I'm disappointed with FF14 and it'll need some serious revamping for it to even go on my considerable list seeing the poor work they've conducted so far.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I can only assume you've not played the actual release and are making a whole lot of judgements based on the beta. Perhaps you should not have confused the word "Beta" with "Demo" - the software mouse is gone, for a start.

It's not a PS3 port - if it was, it would be released on the PS3 now, no? It's a PC and PS3 multiplatform game. It's released on PC first and they're still trying to iron out things for the PS3 launch in March. To me, that means that it's closer to a PC port to the PS3, if it had to be one or the other. It's just been made functional for both rather than having completely different UI's for PC and PS3.

I'm sorry you don't like how things went, but perhaps you should not judge a game by it's beta. It's more a 'Western' games developer thing to use a beta as a way of showing off the game to it's users - for Square-Enix, they stated on multiple occasions that they were using the beta to test the game, find bugs and fix them, stress-test the servers, etc. etc. rather than show off what you can do.

The game is extremely smooth on my PC and that of my girlfriend's, with hardware mouse enabled by default etc.

Hmm because I saw the beta on my brother's computer (which is just above my computer's specs) and it was both laggy, and of poor quality for the requirements. Those kinds of things aren't ironed out easily; especially if the game isn't functioning properly on a platform.

All I can do is hope they've actually successfully eliminated those god-awful bugs and made a decent game of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The biggest issue I had in beta was the UI lag - anything involving your inventory, be it crafting or selling, took insane lengths of time. They've improved on this dramatically, and have advised they are looking to improve things even more. There is more of an issue with server lag now due to the amount of people being in one place (eg. the starting cities / camps), but that tends to only come up shortly after a maintenance patch. I can only guess that it's down to so many people logging on at once... but aside from that, it's doing pretty well.

As for quality, you have to remember that this is an MMO - you can't compare it to the likes of Crysis and so forth. Single player games will always look better and run better than online games, and when they're massive multiplayer online games with thousands of people on a server and often hundreds within a city... well, it's always going to be tricky to have high graphics and still have it run smoothly (which I'll add once again, it does on my machine and my girlfriend's machine).

My main comparison is Age of Conan; that being an obviously impressive game visually gave me sort of a measurement on it. But yeah just seeing the mouse lag and the texture quality on my brother's computer was terrible - I'll download a trial version of the game/buy the full game when it's made retail-release for a better analysis. If it's significantly better as you're saying Bob, then I'll be sure to give it a shot.

A big concern for me is the EXP limit per week; is that actually globally or just in China? ^.-

And is the character system similar to that of FF11, wherein you can have 1 character with all jobs?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

One character, all jobs - and you can change them on the go now, too, instead of having to run back to a mog house.

The supposed "8 hour" cap per week is there, but so far despite playing for about four times that amount already this week, I'm still getting experience on all my jobs.

Here's a good explanation of the system: YouTube - Final Fantasy XIV - Understanding the Fatigue System

So basically, if it recharges when you're not playing or when you're using passive mode (ie not fighting) or when you're using another class... are you really going to hit that cap? I'd count it as an achievement. xD