Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best games developing company ever?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The best games developing company ever?

Out of curiousity, who would you say is the best videogames developing company to ever existed? Remember it's games developing I'm asking about, not a company that only made systems.

Don't say "Square" just because this an FF site...
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 06-19-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    (so while Sega and Nintendo do count, Sony and Micrsoft do not).
    Sony and Microsoft both own a number of in house development teams and companies, hence both count as well.

Anyway, I can't answer anything but Valve really. They never fail to wow me. Every game they've made is awesome.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    (so while Sega and Nintendo do count, Sony and Micrsoft do not).
    Sony and Microsoft both own a number of in house development teams and companies, hence both count as well.
    I'll edt it - thanks.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

U.S. Gold

I'd say the most consistently good - as in their games are unarguably of stellar quality regardless of whether one actually likes them or not - devs are Valve and Blizzard.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Blizzard for me. Who needs more than three IPs when each of them are mega blockbusters? The only thing I have played from Valve is Portal, but I don't think I have ever heard anything negative about them.

BioWare for me: Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1 & 2. All top quality games.

That is such a hard question! @.@ Hmmm, well I don't know about 'best' but one of my favorites is Rare - Or Rareware as its sometimes called.

As a child I was a fan of lots of their products; Donkey Kong Country, Banjo Kazooie, etc. Of course this was all before 2002 - where they were acquired by Microsoft - so I've only played their older stuff.

Thats really hard, though I think I'll go with Atlus. They produced my favorite PS1 game, Brigandine, for starters. They are also responsible for the Persona games, and P3 and 4 are a couple of the best RPG's I've ever played, and their Devil Survivor one of the best SRPG's, and one of my favorite DS games.

I instantly go back to the companies that got me into gaming which would be Capcom and Nintendo, but honestly I hate both of them now. Megaman and Pokemon were great, but I couldn't play one now-a-days. But uhhhm,

Bungie. Gonna go ahead and bite the bullet to get flamed for that one. Yeah. I'm not even gonna pretend it's for Marathon or Oni, it's straight-up all Halo 2 and 3, why? The competitive game play (hence I omitted Halo 1 as it wasn't as competitive). I don't honestly care if the graphics are wretched (they were/still are), it wasn't as balanced as it could be (MLG got it right though), or if they were/all sub-par games they have the one thing that counts in a competitive gaming environment:

People playing it.

Which is why I do. In a room full of people, you cannot swing a cat without hitting someone who plays Halo. Having the ability to wreck said person (maybe after hitting them with a cat?) tickles my fancy. Ok, so why does me and other idiots who can't establish a ty FPS from a good one make the company? Because I owe years of gaming to them. I could not have played a single player game like I have Halo.

If we take my true love away, and you were to ask me what company simply makes the highest quality games, hands down Epic. They definitely have the best mixture of game play, graphics, and creativity. They always fall short on some minor important details like the online play is a bit off and I can't even describe why.
    Peddler of Nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jings View Post
    BioWare for me: Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1 & 2. All top quality games.
    + Jade Empire

Pretty much same answer here. I can't think of a company with a better track record in my tastes

Resident Fire Emblem Fan Elite Lord Sigma's Avatar

In addition to having excellent games, Valve wins out thanks to their excellent community support. Almost no developer can beat them when it comes to that. Close runner-ups are Bethesda, Epic, and Bioware.

Squaresoft.

Not just saying it because we're on a Final Fantasy board, it's just that they developed a lot of my favourite games of all time. Konami and Capcom are close seconds

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Konami is probably the best..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm with NeoCracker, its Atlus if not for their in-house game developers (Megami Tensei Franchise) its also just the fact they have picked up the mantle of Working Design and tend to release games that never would have made it out of Japan if not for them.

Still, its mostly for the MegaTen titles, which still tend to blow me away and I have yet to meet an entry I dislike or felt was "meh". My secondary choices are Capcom whom despite making tons of mistakes still seems to find ways to redeem themselves every few years and make me fall in love with them, its like an abusive relationship. I also love Konami even if they are whoring out MGS. Nippon Ichi is also up there as well as Grasshopper Studios of which both love to appeal to the jaded gamer by lampooning video game cliches.

Sucker Punch is also up there, though I haven't played InFamous yet.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Atlus is love