Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lightning is the worst character in the history of Final Fantasy

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I quite liked her. I found Lightning and the other five to be possibly the most believable characters in the series!

EDIT:

I really like her hairstyle. The color isn't really my thing obviously, but it's a nice style!

I agree, Lightning is a lame character..... the way that she develops through the game is pretty contrived, there is no depth imo.

~##

It took a while for her to grow on me in all honesty. Her using Snow as a punching bag in the beginning began to irk me after about three seconds. I ended up groaning and muttering at the TV that she should get over herself and take some responsibility as well. Although in the same token Snow's continual 'your hero's coming' deserved a punch in the face I thought. But anyways... after her (SPOILER)birthday flashback where regret for her dismissal of Serah seems to be the motivation for her shifting the blame I saw her as beginning to change and now I find her even likable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reinward View Post

oh and btw way shiny, yuna>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lightning
    If Yuna didn't have a retarded chicken run and complete Bi Polar change of character from one game to the next, I'd be apt to agree with you on that. At least Lightning is consistent for the most part.
    Yeah, damn that awful characterization! How dare a person change when they can live and enjoy their life(X-2) as opposed to when they are heading to their inevitable death(X). It's positively ridiculous!

Someone celebrating life like Yuna did in X-2 is one of the most genuine and real responses a character has ever had in an FF.

Whoa! It's great to be back. I think my last post in this forum was three years ago.

Anyway I think Lightning makes an excellent heroine. She's a typical tsundere who seems tough on the outside but eventually shows a fragile side. For example I like how she changed her attitude towards Hope from wanting to abandon him to vowing to protect him and even look out for his well-being.

*Time to Rant*

And I keep wondering why so many people turn a blind eye to the fact that character weaknesses were made as a literary tool called "Character Development."

I remember during the FFX days people were bitching about how Tidus is a whiny crybaby with an irritating voice. All they ever mentioned was how selfish and weak he was. But they never mentioned how much he changed from an egoistic athlete to a selfless hero who was willing to give himself up for Yuna and Spira. From how he he was able to overcome his hatred towards his dad and made up with him. That in my opinion has got to be one of the best forms of character development I've seen. Plus they also never mentioned that his voice sounded brusque and mature whenever he's narrating.

Anyway IMO Lightning is an excellent female protagonist. She's not very feminine yet not too tomboyish either. She still fights with feline grace.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Lightning is definitely one of the worst characters, as is Hope. In the beginning, she pretty much had an attitude of "i hate all of you", but then when Hope said something about Fal'cie and pets, its like she instantly changed. Too melodramatic in my opinion. I liked her better off when she was a cold hearted, stuck up woman, much like how I preferred Hope when he was whiny, even though his change was much more viable. Just my opinion though.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    BUT CLOUD AND SQUALL WERE TOTALLY HEARTFELT AND ENDEARING AND SOOOOOOOO DEEEEEEEEEEEP AMIRITE!?!?!!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I think the problem isn't protagonists being emotionless, but people not being able to pick anything up if they don't wear their hearts on their sleeves.
    Sums up my feelings very well.

Lightening is a female Cloud insofar as her physical body was meant to be that of Cloud but female, which honestly is not that big of a change. Aside from that, Lightening had actual personality, you know instead of Cloud more or less convincing himself he was Zack for a good part of the game.

Also, people forget that fictional characters can be just as irrational as most humans are. We do misplace emotions and project stuff and deal with stuff in our own, sometimes smurfed up, ways. Heck, excluding Sazh, they were hardly adults!

Quote Originally Posted by *Devore* View Post
    For me, she is easily the best character in FFXIII and I much preferred her than to Squall...what a socially awkward weirdo. Also, Lightning can kick ass.

Anyway, am I the only person that likes Tidus. He wasn't born a hero, he wasn't taught how to fight and he doesn't have any special super powers (except magic, but that doesn't count) and yet he stepped up and saved Spira.
    You summed up my oppinion of Tidus exactly. He's not a trained combat machine. He's a sports star. Asking him to take on Sin and fiends is like asking the MVP of the World Cup to pick up an assault rifle and storm Taliban strongholds in Afganistan. Its not what he's trained for. You need real soldiers for that. Tidus went above and beyond what could have been expected of him, especially given his personal consequences for the ultimate defeat of Sin.

Oh, and Lightning was pure badass. Easily my favorite protaganist since Cloud.
    It was tough work, carrying two hundred and twenty pounds of sociopath to the top of Gotham Towers~~ The hightest spot in the city. The scream alone is worth it.- Batman, The Dark Knight Returns.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

You summed up my oppinion of Tidus exactly. He's not a trained combat machine. He's a sports star. Asking him to take on Sin and fiends is like asking the MVP of the World Cup to pick up an assault rifle and storm Taliban strongholds in Afganistan. Its not what he's trained for. You need real soldiers for that. Tidus went above and beyond what could have been expected of him, especially given his personal consequences for the ultimate defeat of Sin.
    I find that funny because that is one of my major knocks against him. I always find it so inappropriate that some newbie can just jump in and easily exceed the level attained by people who have trained their entire lives. In sports I know what it looks like when people jump into activities they haven't trained for, combat would just be so much work.

If someone can be way more proficient without any formal training I want a dam good reason for it. Chosen one, kings son, descendant of ancient hero, I'm not hard to please. I just want it addressed.
    I'll stop now, just one of my pet peeves.

On the flip side that is one of the things I loved about Lightning. She actually looked appropriate in the role she was acting out... unlike most of the cast... of most games....

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reinward View Post

oh and btw way shiny, yuna>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lightning
    If Yuna didn't have a retarded chicken run and complete Bi Polar change of character from one game to the next, I'd be apt to agree with you on that. At least Lightning is consistent for the most part.
    Yeah, damn that awful characterization! How dare a person change when they can live and enjoy their life(X-2) as opposed to when they are heading to their inevitable death(X). It's positively ridiculous!

Someone celebrating life like Yuna did in X-2 is one of the most genuine and real responses a character has ever had in an FF.
    I was talking more about her humble and demure personality in FFX than her solemness. I understood why she was happier, but it didn't explain why she was suddenly skanky.

I think the problem with Tidus's hero's journey is that he started out in the worst extreme. They didn't have to make him THAT bad to give him the opportunity to change and grow. A hero shouldn't be crying and whining and acting stupid. They could have illustrated it just as well if they didn't make him a yuppee that got on everyone's nerves. People don't mention his character growth, because by the time it happens, they already hate him too much to care. But I will concede that it does happen. Its just not fascinating, enthralling, or enjoyable. Its just annoying

Glad they made Lightning at least a little more subtle than that

I wouldn't go as far as to say she is the worst, but she is DEFINITELY not the best either.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

All characters must be slotted into a role as either the best or worst in the series. You should know this.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Now that Im playing the game I can say that I love Light, i like her uniform, her superhuman jumps, and texture they put on her skin among other things ..

But Tidus is still my fav FF main character ever..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Funny.You are the first person to qualify Tidus as the best.Such a hated character.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D