Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New information on FF Versus XIII and Agito XIII from Nomura

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Default New information on FF Versus XIII and Agito XIII from Nomura

From Neogaf :
    Game will be at TGS with some new announcements. There's new screenshots showing new in-game locations.

New screens show a Shinjuku-like environment, endless wilderness, a gas station. Screens are real time.

Nomura about the game's world, "If you try to go all the way to the end, it's truly far."

Nomura on Versus XIII:

- All the screenshots in the interview are captured from the game running in real time.
    - The movement of the clouds in the game are controlled by the physics engine in the game.
    - The game employs an open field concept, so you can travel anywhere except into mountains.
    - The encounter system is a mix of random and visible encounters? (Confusing point, the blog doesn't seem clear either.)
    - Battles are seamless. The only loading in the game will occur when moving between very large areas. They're aiming for the ultimate in seamlessness.
    - Objects along the paths of roads can be destroyed.
    - Most people will not believe their eyes when they see the high quality of the battles in motion.
    - The staff are highly motivated now.
    - There will still be improvements and more polish on the visuals made, the visuals in the screens are the game running at the moment.

- You'll be able to use a car as promised. You can exit it and move on foot at any time as well.
    - Enemies will be visible on the field, and while some enemies are wandering around, others will suddenly appear and surprise you. (This clarifies what the random and visible comment meant, and it also confirms that game will be similar to FFXII in that sense.)
    - Nomura says they're planning for a big unveiling of Versus at some point, but he doesn't really give any deadline for it.
    - There will be some announcements at TGS of titles which have not been revealed at all yet.

Nomura on Agito XIII:

- The game is in the tuning phase of development.
    - There is a world map in the game, and you can ride chocobos on it and fly an airship around as well.
    - Agito XIII and The 3rd Birthday are going to be the greatest titles on the PSP ever.
    Last edited by ShinGundam; 06-23-2010 at 08:03 AM.

Finally, I've been waiting for info on this game. =]
    But I still hate Noctis' clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    - Agito XIII and The 3rd Birthday are going to be the greatest titles on the PSP ever.
    Sounds pretty confident.
    Last edited by LowCaloriePie; 06-23-2010 at 04:39 PM.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

Found post with some more details, also contains some already mentioned info:

Joining a lengthy interview on Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, this week's Famitsu has a significantly shorter interview with Tetsuya Nomura on Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Most of the discussion focused on three new screenshots. It will be a bit tough to follow most of this summary without seeing the screens for yourself, but here are some textual descriptions.

1. A scene of main character Noctis standing on a cliff, looking out over a vast field, with a highway directly below, a desert clearing in the distance, and mountains in the far distance. The caption for this notes that you can walk as far as you can see.
    2. A scene of Noctis standing in front of a gas station. In the caption for this scene, the magazine notes that one of the themes of the game is a "road movie."
    3. A scene of Noctis facing off against a giant creature in a city-like scene. The visuals here look extremely modern -- you can see crosswalks and even bike lanes marked off on the road below. It looks like an in-game version of Tokyo, except for the giant beast.
    The screens are all taken off real hardware, Nomura said. The game currently runs at the quality shown in the screens, said Nomura, and they'll be improving the visuals even further.

Not only are the screens real time, but they represent the perspective from which you'll play the game. The camera angle is for the most part what's shown in the screens -- from a third person view. They were originally considering switching to an overhead view when you moved into the outside world, but ended up keeping the the world as an open field in order to keep you close to the action.

Of course, actual screenshots will have menus and icons. According to Nomura, these bits were removed because they did not want to let details on the game out.

Nomura shared some details on a screen-by-screen basis.

Regarding the gasoline and field screen, Famitsu noted that the game's sky color is finely detailed. Nomura said first that they're using true physics calculations for the movement of the clouds. He also noted that it took the staff a while to determine the visual direction they would take with the game. They could do all sorts of different visual styles by changing such things as filters and sunlight color.

Regarding the field screenshot, Nomura said that the field is an "open field," meaning you can walk through "nearly everything" shown in the field screenshot except for the mountains. He also said, "If you want to go to the end, it's truly far."

Regarding the city scene with the beast, Nomura pointed out that the beast is a military-use behemoth. It has a giant sword on its back.

The city scene is actually a battle screen. Normally, it would have a command menu and other information.

The menus and prompts aren't all that's missing, though. Noctis is shown fighting the behemoth by himself. In the actual game, you'll fight as part of a party. The reason the party members aren't shown in the screen is because Square Enix has yet to officially reveal the weapons and clothing for these characters.

Famitsu noted of the battle scene, the "Shinjuku cityscape is real." The model for the area, said Nomura, is the surroundings of Square Enix's Shinjuku office, right down to the bicycle markings on the street.

The three areas shown in the screenshots are all connected. The screen with the field and the screen with the gasoline stand are from the same location. The field extends out from the rear of the gas stand. These two areas are located immediately outside the city depicted in the battle screenshot.

It all looks like a pretty large area for what appears to be the game's prologue location, Famitsu noted. No need to worry, though, as Nomura revealed that you'll have access to a car. You can board and disembark your car whenever you like. Take your car out into the field area, and you'll eventually approach the submerged area that was shown in past promotional trailers.

It looks like you'll encounter monsters out on the field. Some will be roaming about, with Nomura citing an example of a behemoth walking around on a hill in the distance. In other instances, monsters will appear quickly.

In this week's "Flying get" column, there was a bullet point about the game featuring both symbol and random encounters. I presume this is where these points come from. Nomura did not specially mention symbol and random encounters, though, so it may be a bit too hasty to picture an RPG-like system.

Asked if the field and battles will be seamless, meaning no loading or screen transitions, Nomura said that the battles will be for the most part seamless. When you move between large areas, and when there are event cut-ins, there may be some loading, although the staff is trying to make the game as seamless as possible.

The magazine closed off by asking Nomura when we can expect additional Versus XIII details. This is still a ways off, he said, but he added "We're making preparations for a big announcement."
    Tetsuya Nomura on Final Fantasy Versus XIII (andriasang.com, 06.23.2010)

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Screens

Last edited by ShinGundam; 06-23-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Impressive screens. Looks like the game is focusing on more open environments, like FFXIII should have done. Love the artstyle too, doesnt look as overdone as FFXIII's was (and most JRPGs for that matter). I just hope it wont have a stupidly simple battle system like Kingdom Hearts.

Regarding the city scene with the beast, Nomura pointed out that the beast is a military-use behemoth. It has a giant sword on its back.
    Where did I already saw this?

It seems I will love it given the FFXII similarities.
    Hope you can go even farther on the field though.
    Also hope you can have an inside car mode like what happens with ships.
    And it would be good if it obeys the laws of physics.
    Last edited by Future Esthar; 06-23-2010 at 02:17 PM.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Some good news here. The screens look pretty in low quality. Destructible environments is also a welcomed addition.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Impressive screens. Looks like the game is focusing on more open environments, like FFXIII should have done. Love the artstyle too, doesnt look as overdone as FFXIII's was (and most JRPGs for that matter). I just hope it wont have a stupidly simple battle system like Kingdom Hearts.
    Have to agree with you. I'm surprised I'm digging the art style as much as I am from those three screens, and even more surprised that it's not overdone given the man behind the game. Then again, he could be saving the people dressed solely in belts for a full reveal at TGS.

[QUOTE=Vivi22;2870848]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    Then again, he could be saving the people dressed solely in belts for a full reveal at TGS.
    Come on people dressed in too many belts is as much final fantasy as chocobos and moogles!

anyone else see 3D on that gas station picture...ohh god i was hoping 3D would just be a fad, but now FFvXIII and Killzone 3 are hopping on the bandwagon.

(keep in mind I could be entirely wrong)

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Does that mean the staff weren't motivated before?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, before this was a boring job but now that they know they may get fired for messing up, they are much more motivated.

Looking pretty good so far. I'm curious to know how the party system is going to work considering most details say this game is an Action-RPG. Will it be like KH or maybe something closer to Star Ocean giving the player the ability to switch between party members.

Overall, I'm just glad to actually see some real in-game screenshots as opposed to cutscenes shots.

Destructible environments is also a welcomed addition
    Agreed.This is what FFXII lacked to be like a close combat FPS.

Final Fantasy should approach the Half-Life style(Hence my previous reference to physics).
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Does that mean the staff weren't motivated before?
    most likely.

Awesome announcements, just what I wanted to hear and after the disappointment that was Square at E3 I was afraid these games would become vaporware. I can't wait until TGS 10