Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You ever watch Spoony's review of Final Fantasy VIII on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.Com?

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Amnesia in itself is not silly, but the way it was implemented in the story it came off as more contrived than dramatic.

Did you like the amnesia thing aswell FE
    It is just the best plot twist I ever saw on my life.So unexpected and I actually think they made a good work on the melodrama part.

Still wonder how that can be hated at all.
    Maybe because itīs so open ended(which is itīs best quality for me).

You see,that part makes one wonder what deep secret lies beneath.
    There must be a secret so deep,extraordinary and unbelievable hidden just there.
    Being "silly" only means a simple answer is not enough.Which is fantastic.

Not seen in many FFīs these days.
    Last edited by Future Esthar; 06-28-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Quote Originally Posted by Future Esthar View Post
    It is just the best plot twist I ever saw on my life.So unexpected and I actually think they made a good work on the melodrama part.

Still wonder how that can be hated at all.

Plot twist? More like a cop-out
    It was almost as bad as the classic "and they woke up and it was all a dream".

This case is different because a dream would not require a hard explanation but the amnesia thing must have a purpose in the game.Explaining what is responsible for it is not enough.You must ask "why they introduce this concept here?"
    "This is important for what?" and not just "how".

The GF thing answers only the "how".

The lack of explanation to the other questions is what made people angry.

However it must have an explanation and not being explicit only makes me happier.
    As long as they left clues through the game.

The more dificulty I have on finding the answers the more deep they are and the more happy I become.

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Blog Entries

I think Spoony's issue with the GF-induced amnesia plot twist wasn't the fact that it was amnesia, but more question of why didn't Irvine say anything if he knew from the start? He hinted at it with his reluctance to shoot Edea, but at that point of the game, the player had no idea that the party all grew up together. It hadn't even been hinted yet, so we're all led to think he's just a big pussy.

I think that would've been the ideal moment to drop a few hints about the amnesia. Irvine could've said something like "I can't do it... not her. She's my.. no, our.." and then Squall loses patience and jumps off the carousel. After that, Squall fights Seifer and Edea and gets impaled by an icicle. Disc One ends and so many questions! That's how it should've happened, dammit!

The writing of the amnesia revelation could've been better.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I started to, but then I got bored. It wasn't anything I haven't read here on EoFF P:

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I completly agree with you, I love how it was handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    I think Spoony's issue with the GF-induced amnesia plot twist wasn't the fact that it was amnesia, but more question of why didn't Irvine say anything if he knew from the start? He hinted at it with his reluctance to shoot Edea, but at that point of the game, the player had no idea that the party all grew up together. It hadn't even been hinted yet, so we're all led to think he's just a big pussy.

The writing of the amnesia revelation could've been better.
    One day, I'll finish that damn article...

Irvine's reason are explained. And there where far more hints than just him not shooting Edea

This will be explained better in the article, but the types of foreshadowing used in FFVIII (and most FFs) was the kind that you don't notice until after you know what it's for. I admit, I kinda cheated the first time I played VIII and used an Xpolosion to give myself full stats, so the game was dead easy - but I loved the storyline so much I promptly played again, and again I cheated.

This meant I still had the orphanage stuff fresh in my mind, and I noticed a lot more things - I already fugured about the assasination during the actual scene (the amnesia one), but I noticed other things as well. For example, notice how Irvine acts on the train - his first words after he sees Selphie is "I guess it's fate..." - at the time we think he's just saying "It's fate I met another girl", but once we know the truth we realize he means seeing everyone again, also notice he seams to be "expecting" everyone to act the way they do, like he knows them - have a look at his expressions during the group shots.

Also am I the only one who notices the Squall recognised Edea's name? I seriously think that I'm the only one who reads Squall's thoughts - It helps with the Squall/Rinoa thing too, but here it is a direct hint.

I really want to get this article finished so I can explain it better - it is up there with the LifeStream in FFVII (a very similar scene, in my opinion), and I really want people to understand my apreciation of it better.

Thatīs interesting.
    Itīs like how they know the chandelier would fall on Ultiīs Castle.
    Itīs like they know a team had to hold the lever in place.
    They probably only use the chandelier to reach there faster.

MJN Seifer,post a link to that article please.

Regards,
    Big D

I know that you can't expect all video games to have great stories, but they could've at least told you what Ultemecia's motives were :/

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Gamefaqs.com has a well reasoned Unjust Persecution Theory, which very basically states that because the foreknowledge of Ultimecia's rise to power created a climate of mistreatment and persecution to any and all witches, Ultimecia included. So Ultimecia was in a sense doomed to be created due to the fear of her. I raises the same philosphical question covered in Minority Report: if you can see into the future, can a person be guilty of the crimes before they committed them?

That being said, some specifics would have been nice.

Blog Entries

MJN Seifer,post a link to that article please.
    It isn't complete yet - hopefully I will continue it soon.

But where you posted it?

Regards,
    Big D

I don't know if this has been mentioned on here before, but has anyone ever considered that perhaps Cid decided to use GF specifically to make them forget. That way they could fight the sorceress without having to go through he pain of knowing that she raised them, and the resulting hesitation. I mean he did go out of his way to get them all back together to fight her, so this seems likely. With that said, the whole "I knew you guys all along, but I forgot" thing doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.
    "I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron..."

Cid did give Squall the devil before he left. Another GF to further erase Squalls memory! Ar!

Blog Entries

But where you posted it?
    It's not online yet. It will be once I get things sorted.