Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: You ever watch Spoony's review of Final Fantasy VIII on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.Com?

It is funny at times and he makes a couple of good points. Still love FFVIII though!

I miss it. The steel sky. Aerisfanatic's Avatar

I don't really care what he says. Although I agree with some things he has to say, he's by far the most overrated reviewer on the site, and not to mention really annoying.
    Forever obsessed with the one and only flower girl <3

yea actually it is. FF8 is not for final fantasy fans cuz its so different than the other FF's, like 12 & 13. Seems like spoony is the only FF8 hater that actually has a life (he gets paid for doing it). normal ppl wouldnt take the time to say how bad they "think" it is other than for comedy, which i laughed my ass off

I hated 8 long before watching Spoony. And though he's a bit more critical than I am, (embellished for humor's sake, surely) he brought to light everything that bothered me as well. Not that I had any difficulty with acquiring magic, junctioning, or playing the card mini-game. They were just annoying. I do love me some Spoony. And thoroughly enjoying his rip on FFX. A game that I also hated right out of the gate. And he's making good (and embellished) light of those complaints too. I think me and Spoony would get along great. He's very popular, though I don't think he's over-rated. He just has a style that a lot of people love, and some can't get into. He's very well versed in the world of the nerd though. I rarely watch his vlogs, but the few times I've watched more than just his reviews I've learned some interesting things from the nerd-sphere

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by biosaber View Post
    yea actually it is. FF8 is not for final fantasy fans cuz its so different than the other FF'f
    If FFVIII is "so different" than so's Final Fantasy VII, because I find those games to be similar. The only thing I find different to other FFs is the color of the border (minor), the fact it doesn't use MP (minor, and not that different), the fact that enemies level up (a good thing), and that you can take control more (another good thing). I am a massive fan of the FF series, and FFVIII is my second favorite. I really identifiedwith it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I hated 8 long before watching Spoony. And though he's a bit more critical than I am.
    Yeah, that's your opinion Vyk, but you do know Spoony's a fan of FFVIII right?

Well it honestly doesn't matter to me, because its his rip on it that I agree with. Though I've never heard him say that, I've only seen people say it here. But again, it really doesn't matter, because even if that is the case, I still hate it. And he would obviously understand why. There's lots of games I love that I understand why other people hate

Blog Entries

That's okay. I love it, but I understand why people hate it I guess. People just like/hate different things.

I DO hate it when people insist that "a true fan of FF is not allowed to like FFVIII" though. (YOU didn't say that, I know, but someone else did).

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biosaber View Post
    yea actually it is. FF8 is not for final fantasy fans cuz its so different than the other FF'f
    If FFVIII is "so different" than so's Final Fantasy VII, because I find those games to be similar. The only thing I find different to other FFs is the color of the border (minor), the fact it doesn't use MP (minor, and not that different), the fact that enemies level up (a good thing), and that you can take control more (another good thing). I am a massive fan of the FF series, and FFVIII is my second favorite. I really identifiedwith it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    I hated 8 long before watching Spoony. And though he's a bit more critical than I am.
    Yeah, that's your opinion Vyk, but you do know Spoony's a fan of FFVIII right?
    Only if you disbelieve everything he's said in any of his videos or commentries about it.

Even when Thatguywiththeglasses did the charity drive he was asked by someone calling in what he really thought of the game, and he most definitely hated it.

I really have no Idea where the Idea he actually likes the game came from.

Blog Entries

I was searching through some stuff for a project, and I saw a site where he admited to liking it deep down. It was like, "I like you, but I enjoy making fun of you" type of stuff, I'll try to locate the site if I can.

I DO hate it when people insist that "a true fan of FF is not allowed to like FFVIII" though.
    LOL. I don't even see how that could be said with out cracking up. It's changes WERE all minor. Hell, it had it's differences, but no greater than 3,5 10, 12 and 13 when it came to trying new techniques to see if they were going to be popular changes. It has a slew of problems, but I've always enjoyed it for the most part. Love him or Hate him, Squall was one of the only characters you got a chance to really know what he was thinking throughout the entire story, and I wish they would use that character development technique again.

Tidus had plenty of inner and/or narrative monologues x_x; Why those two? lol

I was searching through some stuff for a project, and I saw a site where he admited to liking it deep down. It was like, "I like you, but I enjoy making fun of you" type of stuff, I'll try to locate the site if I can.
    On neither his site nor Thatguywiththeglasses has he stated that, so I'd doubt any legitimacy to that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    On neither his site nor Thatguywiththeglasses has he stated that, so I'd doubt any legitimacy to that claim.
    Well, if you take a look at the last episode of his FF8 review you can see he has Final Fantasy 8 figurines and cards. Not to mention the Squall clone, which was spoony, was wearing Sqauall's jacket while wielding a life size gunblade. And finally, just watch the ending credits and ask yourself: is this made by a FF8 fan or FF8 hater?

I think a lot of Spoony's criticism is indeed for the sake of it being funny. I think Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation guy) once said something along the lines of "nobody wants to watch me say how great a game is, that's no fun" in one of his reviews. This is probably much the same. I've always thought FFVIII was the weakest of the PS1 trio, personally. Never could figure out that junctioning system and whatnot. But I'd still say I enjoyed what I did manage to play of it.

As for Spoony.... meh, his FF reviews were great, as were a -couple- of other game reviews, but most of the rest of the stuff he does is so obscure that I don't watch him that often.

I watched all of it as it was being released, it was a flawless bit of reviewism.
    Last edited by Darth Cid; 05-24-2011 at 03:22 PM.