Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: You ever watch Spoony's review of Final Fantasy VIII on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.Com?

Default You ever watch Spoony's review of Final Fantasy VIII on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.Com?

Spoony tears this game a new one. I hate to admit it but Noah Antwiler a.k.a. The Spoony One is right, while I do like the fact that Squall is this quiet guy who has all of this interal monologue, and Selphie is this perky little girl who wants to be everybody's best friend, this game as a whole just sucks ass.

If you haven't heard it yet, you really should listen to Noah Antwiler picking apart every aspect of this game's story and gameplay. I'm not gonna beat a dead horse by repeating what Noah just said, if you disagree with Antwiler's opinion or if you can't notice this game's flaws on your own, I don't know what to tell you.

Final Fantasy VIII might not be the worst game in the world but it certainly isn't "the masterpiece" every fanboy says it is.

Dude, that's quite old. He's currently doing an FFX review which is funnier IMO.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Blog Entries

FF8 has it's flaws, but it's not as horrible as a game he makes it to be. Certainly, Drawing magic is boring and repetitive, but is it really worth a 20 minute rant? There are other ways to get magic anyway (though he doesn't like Triple Triad either).

Anyway, I've always liked FF8. His review didn't change my opinions about it at all. I already knew about everything he spoke of. I guess I was just able to tolerate more of it. But even though I like FF8, I still liked the review. It's one of those "it's funny because it's true" type things. And I don't really mind him calling me an idiot. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    FF8 has it's flaws, but it's not as horrible as a game he makes it to be. Certainly, Drawing magic is boring and repetitive, but is it really worth a 20 minute rant? There are other ways to get magic anyway (though he doesn't like Triple Triad either).

Anyway, I've always liked FF8. His review didn't change my opinions about it at all. I already knew about everything he spoke of. I guess I was just able to tolerate more of it. But even though I like FF8, I still liked the review. It's one of those "it's funny because it's true" type things. And I don't really mind him calling me an idiot. xD
    Noah Antwiler made his FF8 review for satirical purposes obviously, but I think there is a grain of truth to it. The only aspects of this game fanboys have a right to admire are the visuals (a.k.a. the cinematic cutscenes), the music and maybe some of the characters. But the story and the gameplay themselves leave much to be desired especially considering this game came hot off the heels of a killer app called Final Fantasy 7.

When you make a very popular killer app like Final Fantasy 7 and you follow it up with a mediocre sequel like Final Fantasy 8, I'm sorry but you fail, you fail big time. You're an epic failure. It's like making a Batman Forever style sequel to The Dark Knight, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

Final Fantasy 8 is a prime example of why Western RPGs are so much better than JRPGs. Western RPGs (role-playing games that usually come from America's hat, Canada) generally have more epic storylines and the storylines are much more open-ended. The epic scope and the open-endedness are why linear Japanese RPGs are a thing of the past.
    Last edited by The Fat Bioware Nerd; 06-24-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Going through FF8's storyline head on without analyzing every little damn thing actually makes for a fun game! The world was pretty cool and the music helped with that. Saving Balamb Garden from the missiles was epic and fun. The Dollet Field Exam was an interesting start to the game. It's a game; it's meant to be fun and it accomplishes that. I don't care about how ridiculous it sounds to have a sorceress from the future doing some in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
    I don't care about how ridiculous it sounds to have a sorceress from the future doing some in the past.
    And, if you look at VII, there's a guy who was injected with alien cells in the womb, and now he fell into a giant mass of green stuff, reappeared on the other side of the world, and is now controlling the minds of other people injected with these alien cells (but they're less hectic, because their injection came after birth). And he also controls the alien creature, and has made it shape-shift to look like him. Then, he's going to go blow up the entire world to become a God. Hmmmm. Still love VII, but Final Fantasy's aren't really known for their realism.

But yeah, this review is quite funny. I don't think he believes it himself, but some of the things he points out are quite funny. I still like VIII, and might think it is my best FF, but that review is still funny.

Blog Entries

Anal Cannon! Before watching the review, I hadn't known about the endless fun one could have with renaming Angelo.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

He has his own website as well. Well worth a look. As for FFVIII, it's my favorite FF game, but most of his points are valid and hilariously made. So I'm not offended. I happen to love Triple Triad and drawing and grinding didn't bother me at all.

I freely admit some of the plot is downright silly (collective amnesia anyone?), but the game is satisfying on an emotional level, so the fridge logic moments don't bother me as much.

On my next playthrough I want to rename Diablos TEH SATAN.

Blog Entries

Nobody really seems to call FFVIII a masterpiece - I only ever see it get buttloads of hate.

While I really love it. It's one of my favorites, and though it has its tedious parts, I find them bearable. And I really enjoy Triple Triad, and though most of the characters are grossly boring, I actually like Squall and Rinoa.

This guy has some valid points, but they just don't bother me that much I guess.

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

I've played a tiny tiny tiny amount of FFVIII but tbh I didn't find it that enthralling. I did watch a few of his vids but I found them tedious in themselves to watch, and admittedly it did kind of put me off the game. Hated the gameplay graphics (yessss BarelySee is picky about graphics blahblahblah), hated the monotony, and didn't find that many characters particularly enjoyable. What ever I did know about the plot didn't particularly thrill me either. =/ I guess some FF games just don't appeal as well to others

I am not a man

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really liked FFVIII - its story, interesting gameplay, the cast could have been more interesting but overall, I consider it a very solid game. And I still find Spoony's review very amusing

[QUOTE=Gothamite10092;2871291]
    Final Fantasy 8 is a prime example of why Western RPGs are so much better than JRPGs. Western RPGs (role-playing games that usually come from America's hat, Canada) generally have more epic storylines and the storylines are much more open-ended. The epic scope and the open-endedness are why linear Japanese RPGs are a thing of the past.
    Biased opinion is biased.

"It is a well-known fact that all heroes in all tales disliked vegetables as children.
    Their legend begins with their overcoming of this weakness, and then continues with a journey filled with hardships.
    That noble vegetable, the onion, lives on as a symbol of hardships overcome, and as the mark of a true hero.
    "

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LowCaloriePie View Post
    Biased opinion is biased.
    Yeah, well, I didn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothamite10092
    Fixed. xD

The amnesia thing is silly?
    What about the intro of the game?
    You call that training?I tell ya,neither Squall nor Seifer seemed like they were training.
    And the placed is nowhere in Balamb.At least I donīt recognise a place in Balamb that fits the graphics.

It also looks like Edea and Rinoa taked a part on the "training" with Rinoa using her pendant to save Squall.

Unless you think Squall was dreaming about the training AFTER the training.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a bit wary of it, because I know its going to either slate a) the story b) Squall/Rinoa c) the amnesia or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE.

I personally thought each of these were brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Future Esthar View Post
    The amnesia thing is silly?

What about the intro of the game?
    Did you like the amnesia thing aswell FE? I can't believe it's still so underated.

You call that training?I tell ya,neither Squall nor Seifer seemed like they were training.
    And the placed is nowhere in Balamb.At least I donīt recognise a place in Balamb that fits the graphics.

It also looks like Edea and Rinoa taked a part on the "training" with Rinoa using her pendant to save Squall.

Unless you think Squall was dreaming about the training AFTER the training.
    I think that the training thing was just something between Squall and Seifer, since they know eachother and are rivals in a sense - I figured maybe Seifer challenged Squall to some special "training" to see who was better at Gunblades and Squall accepted because of his background. And Seifer took things too far or something. Although Quistis mentions something about Seifer "Not being careful" while training, so...

I think the Rinoa Edea thing is just promotional stuff - but it could be foreshadowing the ending.