Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screw soccer! Tennis is where it's at!

Default Screw soccer! Tennis is where it's at!

So, who's watching Wimbledon these days? - and who are you rooting for?

I've tried to watch as much as possible before going away next week, so I'll sadly not be able to watch the finals.
    Oh, and how bonkers was the Isner vs. Mahut match?! I mean, 11 hours!! Jesus Christ, that's some crazy !

Speak English.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I heard it was 10 hours. Are you lying to me, Breine?

It was 10 hours at the end of its 2nd day. They played for another hour yesterday before Isner won.

Shame, but they made Isner play today. Got annihilated. Unsurprisingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I heard it was 10 hours. Are you lying to me, Breine?
    I'd never lie

It was 11 hours, though!

Totally agreed. I can't wait til the latter stages for Soderling v Nadal, I expect Soderling to kill him. Can't see fed winning it this year but you never know.

Fed's first match was also exciting stuff.

I think the title is Soderling's personally.

The Isner match was 11 hours 5 minutes

I'm not a tennis fan per say but I am a huge fan of Hanescu spitting at drunk english twats. He actually should have leaped over & beat outta them. I mean, if you're gonna get done. Make sure you have their blood on your knuckles.

Blog Entries

It's been a really good tournament so far. Most of the top seeds have had to battle in 4 or 5-setters in at least one of their rounds. I'm particularly keen on the upcoming Hewitt vs. Djokovic match. Not just because I'm Australian, but because Hewitt's actually in good form and could cause a massive upset.

Poor Nicola Mahut. He looked like he just wanted to go home after losing that epic 11 hour match, not stand around and shake some hands. I also had a good laugh when the speaker introduced Anne White as a Former Wimbledon Champion but then paused as he couldn't think of something to say for Tim Henman (I think he went for Former British No. 1 eventually).

And I'm rooting for Federer. I love the guy. He's just all class. And I'm glad to see that he was able to get back on track with a solid win against Clement. I think Murray and Soderling are the only two top 10 players to have played to their best so far in the first week, so look out for them. But my tip for the final is still Federer to lose to Nadal in 4 sets.

edit: I've also just heard about the Victor Hanescu incident. For those who don't know, he spat in the direction of some allegedly offensive people in the crowd. After that he lost all desire to win and proceeded to step into the court with each serve, intentionally foot faulting and throwing the game. After a while of this, he tried to call it quits by walking over to the umpire and extending his hand for an end-game handshake, the umpire refused because you can't just forfeit a game of tennis, but Hanescu went on with it and shook the hand of his opponent (Daniel Brands) and left the court. The media are slamming him for unsportmanlike conduct and I guess that's fair enough. He could've at least faked injury Djokovic-style if he didn't want to go on.. but I'd like to see all the facts first. Maybe he had a good reason to act the way he did. Thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by Mo-Nercy; 06-26-2010 at 04:39 PM.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Totally agreed. I can't wait til the latter stages for Soderling v Nadal, I expect Soderling to kill him. Can't see fed winning it this year but you never know.

Fed's first match was also exciting stuff.

I think the title is Soderling's personally.

The Isner match was 11 hours 5 minutes
    Nadal beat Soderling today

Federer out
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Hard to see Federer knocked out but he just wasn't at the races today. Everytime there was a duece on Berdych's serve he bottled it. His forehand wasn't at its fluid best. That and Berdych was in one of his moods. When that guy puts his mind to it he can beat anyone.

Sorry to see the Soderking knocked out. I'm rooting for Murray or Djokovic from here on in.

Str8 Pimpin'

Blog Entries

Now that Fed's out, I'm rooting for Djokovic. He has this sinister look to him, but that's why I like him. Sometimes you just want the bad guy to win.

Also, John Isner on Letterman reading the Top Ten (thoughts that ran through Isner's mind during the 11 hour tennis match).

Football teams I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: South Africa, Serbia, Portugal.

Tennis players I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Federer.

Can anyone guess the relationship between all of them?

Seriously, I think I'm jinxing them all. Nadal will most likely win it now, although Djokovic (if he's still in, haven't really been following him) has the ability to upset Rafa.

Screw soccer! Tennis is where it's at!
    Darn right.
    I used to play tennis before, and it is the most fun and addicting sport ever. Ever!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Football teams I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: South Africa, Serbia, Portugal.

Tennis players I've supported in the past 2/3 weeks: Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Federer.

Can anyone guess the relationship between all of them?

Seriously, I think I'm jinxing them all. Nadal will most likely win it now, although Djokovic (if he's still in, haven't really been following him) has the ability to upset Rafa.
    Murray may have it in him to knock him out first. What with being British and wanting to win his 'home' Grand Slam and all that jazz.

It would be very cool to see a finals match up between Djokovic and Murray. Don't assume that Djokovic is a definite to be there though. Berdych is a bit of a surprise to see in a slam semi final, but in his youth he was labelled the 'next big thing' so to speak and has a lot of talent. Taking down Fed may be the step up in confidence he needs. Against Djokovic, who's a little injury prone and has a slight tendancy to choke, he could get up.

The women's title is Serena Williams' for the taking.

Blog Entries

I really wanted Federer to win, too, as he's my favorite tennis player! But now that he's out, I don't really mind who wins, as long as it's not Nadal. Djokovic isn't so shabby, though.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV