Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate it when people say "Avatar is so much better than The Dark Knight!"

Default I hate it when people say "Avatar is so much better than The Dark Knight!"

Because they're not the same freaking movie! Avatar is a freaking ALIEN FILM starring that Australian douchebag from Terminator 4 and The Dark Knight is a CRIME DRAMA starring Batman.

If you don't know the difference between a crime drama and an alien film, I pity you.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I hate it when people say FFVII's overrated.
    I hate it when people say FFVIII doesn't have a good storyline.
    I hate it when people say TFD (not FD4) was a bad film.
    I hate it when people dismiss programes simply because they're made for children.
    I hate it when people don't like FF games.

Not really, it's pure opinion :P Just watch what films you like, and have a nice day.

They could compare Pocahontas and Avatar however.

I think Avatar is a bad movie which set new standards in CGI. Dark Knight was a great movie.

EDIT: In my opinion at least. Thanks for reminding me MJN.

Avatar ist completely overrated and just so popular because not everyone is used to high definition super mega video game graphics. I admit and respect it looks great but it is completely overrated because cool graphics = greatest movie ever is the dumbest thing I have ever read or heard.

Oh and by the way - those wannabe cat-elves look riddiculus. I don't want to watch a 3 hours movie with main characters who look like that. Especially their noses are...very very strange.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-26-2010 at 12:25 AM.

Blog Entries

One of my all-time favorite quotes: "All comparisons are odious". Truer words have never been spoken.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I feel you can't have an opinion on something if you don't give it a chance, Sephiroth.

Avatar was a fairly cool movie in it's own right. Kinda boring up until the end though.

The Dark Knight was just pure badassary.

To compare the two is silly. Unless you're comparing them as box office goldmines. Otherwise, as an actual movie? It's stupid to. I haven't even heard them compared yet before this thread so it's new to me.

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

Agreed. Loved all the cast of Dark Knight, too..not much to like about Avatar's to be honest. Yyeah the graphics were revolutionary, the storyline sucked major balls, the people were pretty but people are apparently getting suicidal over them (sad?), which just goes to show the target audience.

Dark Knight had the Joker. End of.

I am not a man

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I feel you can't have an opinion on something if you don't give it a chance, Sephiroth.
    And I feel neither you have the power nor the right to decide if I can have an opinion or not.

If I do see something which doesn't impress me I don't waste my time to see or read it completely. Opinions do not only exist about the whole topic, there are already opinions about some aspects of the topic itself. And if I do say "The characters look riddiculus." I don't need to waste 3 hours or 2 1/2 hours watching them because I already know they won't stop looking like riddiculus cat-elf characters. And THIS already is an opinion. "Hm, this looks interesting. I will watch it." is an opinion and already built before you watch the movie itself. And I don't have this opinion. I say it is overrated because it simply is fact not everyone is used to high definition graphics and are used to real actors and I am used to super graphics so I can the opinion "The graphics are overrated and the movie itself is even more overrated.".

There were and are guys who just read "Final Fantasy XIII is linear." and they have complained about it before they have played it themself. It was their choice and opinion not to play it because of one aspect. I completely disagree but that's not the point. And I would agree with you if I would say "Uhh...Avatar is the greatest crap ever!" because I don't know it completely. But I know the graphics - the main reason why people like it which is overrated in my opinion - I know the story and I know the characters. And I don't like it. And after all I still say it looks great. But it is overrated.

And I won't discuss with you here because it is my opinion and you can't do anything about it. And I don't even know why you bother because it really is not of your business. I mean it is not like you are the producer. And even if you would be the producer I still can have my own opinion.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-25-2010 at 11:08 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Freya was addressing the "Avatar is completely overrated" statement in your post. Not the individual and specific opinions you've formed about the movie such as the fact that you think the characters look ridiculous. You can't really have a legitimate opinion on how over or under rated something is, until you've rated it yourself. And you can't really rate a movie without having seen it.

I saw the movie, and I thought it was crazy overrated. I thought some parts were laughable, and I was honestly *really* surprised by how well it was received. Before I saw the movie, one of my best friends told me that it was amaaaazing, and she and I have very similar tastes. So I left the theater wondering if there was something wrong with me. Did I just not get it? I don't know. I loved the Dark Knight. And I think the only reason anyone would compare the two is because both movies have a lot of fanboys/girls. It's just a fan trying to one up another fan.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You can't know if something is overrated or not unless you've actually seen it. All you'll know is what ratings it got, you'd know nothing about those ratings being better or worse than what the movie deserved.
    Hate to say it, seph, but you sound like an arrogant bastard :D.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    You can't really have a legitimate opinion on how over or under rated something is, until you've rated it yourself. And you can't really rate a movie without having seen it.
    Obviously I can. People say it is the greatest movie because of the graphics and I know the graphics. And I know the story. I just don't watch it.

And no one, not Freya, Miriel, Mirage or whoever will post here will change something about it. You just show me you don't read my posts and just want to write the very popular "you can't say something against something which you don't know". And I have written it twice that I do know it without watching it completely. And you still don't understand that watching the graphics and riddiculus characters 3 hours won't change my opinion because the graphics and character design will not change. This has nothing to do with me being arrogant. We live in a world where everyone should be accepted - at least everyone says it, we all know it is nothing but an illusion like we see here - and I can't be forced to think something I don't want to think.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-25-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Calm down sparky. Not saying you are not allowed an opinion on everything.

I think Freya was addressing the "Avatar is completely overrated" statement in your post. Not the individual and specific opinions you've formed about the movie such as the fact that you think the characters look ridiculous. You can't really have a legitimate opinion on how over or under rated something is, until you've rated it yourself. And you can't really rate a movie without having seen it.
    That's what I meant.
    Last edited by Freya; 06-25-2010 at 11:19 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Obviously you can have an opinion, but it's one that isn't rooted in actual research and so most people aren't going to view your opinion as a legitimate. It's sort of a fake opinion. You may not like it, but that's how it comes across!

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Hate to say it, seph, but you sound like an arrogant bastard .
    It's too late for compliments. Or perhaps it isn't?

Obviously you can have an opinion, but it's one that isn't rooted in actual research and so most people aren't going to view your opinion as a legitimate.
    I really cannot tell you often enough how much I don't care about other people and their pointless opinion about me and my opinions or my character itself. And I can only get sure if the graphics of Avatar are good if I have seen the graphics. And I have seen the graphics. I can only get sure if I like the characters or the story if I have seen the characters and heard or watched the story. And I have seen the graphics, seen the characters and read the story. This is actual research. I don't say the graphics are good or bad because Person A says it, I say it because I have seen it. And I don't even say it is bad. But I have already noticed you don't read this "I don't say it is bad." part and especially not the "I have seen it with my own eyes." part. And saying something you don't think but you know other people want to hear or read it is the real illusion. Like most of the people do. I just say what I think and what I know. And I know what I think. I have seen it and say it is overrated. And that's it.

I know there will follow some new posts about how wrong I am because it simply is the other peoples own opinion that I am wrong and no fact cause no one except myself can decide what my opinion is and obviously my opinion is not just built out of nothingness itself. No one will convince me so accept it that I am one of the guys who doesn't just follow the stream.

EDIT: Like I said. Just another another mainstream one who doesn't read what I write.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 06-25-2010 at 11:35 PM.

This is now getting into a debate about opinions. Should be interesting.

Think Freya was saying you can't have a substantiated opinion about Avatar being over-rated. However, you are perfectly free to have unsubstantiated opinions on any manner of topics. People might not take them seriously, but Whatever Works (Woody Allen movie - I quite enjoyed it).