Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any good dinosaur games?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thing is though Dreddz, I didn't like Dino Crisis 2 back when it came out for much the same reasons, though I doubt I could have articulated exactly why as I can now. I'll admit that it probably bothers me more now than it did then, but I still stopped playing the first time for the same reasons.

The only real reason I could guess that Dino Crisis 2 controls the way it does is because every game by the team behind it controlled that way back then. I won't fault them for trying to take a more action oriented direction, and credit where it's due, they did make some improvements over RE by not requiring you to aim up or down to hit things, run always being on, etc. I just don't think the action experiment worked out very well with the game.

And even if you consider when it came out as being an excuse for how it plays, I would still argue that there was at least one third person shooter that played far better in the form of Syphon Filter. In fact, I'd argue it's actually still quite playable even though it has certainly aged and had to work without a dual analog setup. Now I do agree with you though that back when it came out there was a lot of stuff that came out that didn't play or control well by today's standards that we were all probably pretty lenient on. I guess DC2 just wasn't one of them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Also just to clarify, the controls of Dino Crisis 2 were the controls from Resident Evil 3 not 2.
    True enough. I completely forgot that there was a 180 degree turn button in DC2 which obviously wasn't in RE2 but was in 3 (and then mysteriously absent in Code Veronica, but that's a whole other story).

Thanks everyone.
    I've considered all of your replies and for now I guess I'm starting with Dino Crisis 2, then perhaps I'll move on to Syphon Filter (unless I find Dino Crisis 2 so good that I get hooked to it, which tends to happen XD).

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by *Laurelindo* View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    I've considered all of your replies and for now I guess I'm starting with Dino Crisis 2, then perhaps I'll move on to Syphon Filter (unless I find Dino Crisis 2 so good that I get hooked to it, which tends to happen XD).
    Syphon Filter doesn't have any dinosaurs in it. It's a great trilogy though.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, sorry if I confused you and had you thinking Syphon Filter had Dinosaurs. I was just using it as an example of a good third person shooter from the PSX days. I'd still recommend playing it because those games are awesome but don't go in with the wrong ideas.

Dino Dash or whatever the Doritos game is called on XBox Live Arcade. It might be called Dash of Destruction. But it was really fun. And it was free. Not sure if its still available or if its still free or not. But worth looking into for a good half hour or so of plenty of fun

(You're a T-Rex chasing down Doritos delivery trucks)