Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What does England mean to you?

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

Eagerly awaiting your next post insisting that the Nazis invaded Britain using giant mecha unicorns and it was only through the power of Michael Jordan's ace basketball skills that the British people were saved from being crushed into dirt like the filthy pigs that they are.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

My perception of England is COMPLETELY different from what it was before I came here. I thought it was quaint and grey with polite people. Not true.

In my 6+ months of living within England, here are my thoughts:

England is inconvenient and has rude children and I want to slap them. I like the weather, but everything closes at 5 pm and the people are extremely rude in the built-up Southern areas. The food gives me the runs, constantly. (TMI!!!) When people go out, the girls wear skirts and dresses so short their clams show. I was shocked. They wear this even in snowy weather. And I'm from NYC originally, so I'm not from a quaint area by any means.

I've been laughed at often for being overly polite. I had thought coming here that I would have to be on my best manners to fit in, but it's not so. Saying "have a nice day" is considered an overkill here, which is bizarre for me.

With that said, all of my best friends and people I love the most are from this country, so I keep find myself coming back. When I'm in the Midlands, I quite like England overall, but I hated the South, as I said. My favorite area in England is Leicester, by far, which people would probably find hilariously bizarre.

Rye, I think your problem with politeness may be the divide between America and England of positive and negative politeness. That is, you Americans are positively polite, meaning you're more open and friendly, where as we're negatively polite and so try and avoid conflict and making people lose face as much as possible, which can seem a bit aloof.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PsyxCuch for Cutest Couple '11!

Muse
    Coldplay
    Queen
    The Beatles
    Radiohead
    Pink Floyd

Blog Entries

England is my favorite swear word!

I am sure it has other meanings, connotations, or significance, but none of it applies to me!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Why '11?

I live in the South of England and have never really been anywhere North, so I can't comment on that. I don't think it's that bad down here, it's probably the least violent place in the country, it's pretty boring but the little part where I live in my city has nice people, that is until you go over to where my school is where it's full of chavs and pikeys.

A fine place to live, we did a grand old part in the war too! God bless the RAF.

I like where I live, it's supposed to be an 'ard area, but I give the good ol' howdy do to people when they pass and they return it in kind with a tip of the cap. I then trot on home for tea and crumpets, jolly good! (all serious).

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    Allow me to expand.

A country fulla twats. so many twats in fact they had to relocate some of their twats here in Ireland and cause centuries of violence, hence reinforcing their title of twats.

And you backed down fast enough against Germany on Sunday didn't you.

PS: Don't let WWII fool you. It was the English Channel, The Russians & the Yanks that stopped Germany invading.
    What an ignorant person you are. We all know that the war was not won or lost by 1 nation but the collective efforts of many, mainly Russia but England served a massive prt of the war effort with its navy, army and air force. As well as our involvment with Enigma and intelligence.

People like Churchill stood up to Hitler long before he went to war and had Chamberlain done the same we never would have had war. Russia did not enter the war until Germany had broken its non aggression pact.

I can see already the mind blowing ignorance that you possess to disregard the efforts of England and try to paint it as if we did nothing in that war, it is not only an insult to me and my country but to the thousands who died, you ignorant sack.

As for Ireland, a country divided and yet you choose to play the blame game. protestants, Catholics and all the other troubles over there are Ireland doing, and yet I see the Irish parking down the road from me time and again in their caravan's. It can't be that bad here.

Tell you what, before you come online and slag our war dead off indirectly, get a history book and use your brain for once in your sorry life.

It is frustrating when people try to say England played a minor part when it is clear we didn't.

Onto other issues, England has become a dirty word because people want us to say sorry for 10000000 things from the past, but you may as well start blaming apes for hunting the banana, it is irrelevant.

England created a number of sports including football and Cricket, sports people enjoy yet still knock our country. We were and will be again, pioneers. My country has done a lot for this world, as much as people like to knock us for things we aren't proud of.

In the end, like the poster above, it all comes down to jealousy of my country. USA get their fair share of jealousy too, as does any nation that has pioneered, led or advanced mankind.

My country has nothing to be sorry for. Everyone should be grateful that we were around. I won't deny England today has problems, sadly caused by this defeatist attitude and poor politicians. Society as a whole has dumbed down and England as it was is lost, but it will be back.

I am grateful to live here, I suggest the poster above just learn to deal with us, and if he hates us so much, stop playing football and everything else we invented.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 06-29-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Allow me to expand.

A country fulla twats. so many twats in fact they had to relocate some of their twats here in Ireland and cause centuries of violence, hence reinforcing their title of twats.

PS: Don't let WWII fool you. It was the English Channel, The Russians & the Yanks that stopped Germany invading.
    What an ignorant person you are. We all know that the war was not won or lost by 1 nation but the collective efforts of many, mainly Russia but England served a massive prt of the war effort with its navy, army and air force. As well as our involvment with Enigma and intelligence.

People like Churchill stood up to Hitler long before he went to war and had Chamberlain done the same we never would have had war. Russia did not enter the war until Germany had broken its non aggression pact.

I can see already the mind blowing ignorance that you possess to disregard the efforts of England and try to paint it as if we did nothing in that war, it is not only an insult to me and my country but to the thousands who died, you ignorant sack.

As for Ireland, a country divided and yet you choose to play the blame game. protestants, Catholics and all the other troubles over there are Ireland doing, and yet I see the Irish parking down the road from me time and again in their caravan's. It can't be that bad here.

Tell you what, before you come online and slag our war dead off indirectly, get a history book and use your brain for once in your sorry life.
    Oh dear. Mosley has arrived into the debate.

Last edited by Cuchulainn; 06-29-2010 at 08:25 PM.

EoFF's Laundry Goddess ~*~Celes~*~'s Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    My perception of England is COMPLETELY different from what it was before I came here. I thought it was quaint and grey with polite people. Not true.

In my 6+ months of living within England, here are my thoughts:

England is inconvenient and has rude children and I want to slap them. I like the weather, but everything closes at 5 pm and the people are extremely rude in the built-up Southern areas. The food gives me the runs, constantly. (TMI!!!) When people go out, the girls wear skirts and dresses so short their clams show. I was shocked. They wear this even in snowy weather. And I'm from NYC originally, so I'm not from a quaint area by any means.

I've been laughed at often for being overly polite. I had thought coming here that I would have to be on my best manners to fit in, but it's not so. Saying "have a nice day" is considered an overkill here, which is bizarre for me.

With that said, all of my best friends and people I love the most are from this country, so I keep find myself coming back. When I'm in the Midlands, I quite like England overall, but I hated the South, as I said. My favorite area in England is Leicester, by far, which people would probably find hilariously bizarre.
    From what I experienced in Manchester/Blackpool area (though I didn't go out much when i was there), people were pretty well polite and friendly, even the immigrations officer when she wasn't interrogating me. It probably really is just the location, same as any place.

For example, when I went to NYC, I accidentally bumped into someone while briskly walking to my next destination and I apologized but she just barreled on passed me. Around where I live, a smile, quick apology, and a shared laugh, then departure when such a thing happens.

Then again, NYC is a very busy place, and Northwest Ohio as a whole is not in the least

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Why '11?
    I don't think he knows about the fact that ciddies happen twice a year

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Allow me to expand.

Seriously? We've spoken to you consistently for the way you've spoken to members so insultingly. You can't politely debate with others. We've already given you your final warning. You contribute nothing positive. Sorry, but you're banned now. I hope you can find a forum to post in where they tolerate rude conversation.

Take care,
    Rye

Ignore this one, anyway, guys. Carry on and behave yourselves.

EDIT: Oh, and I definitely agree with the politeness of the people in Manchester, Celes! The more North I go in England, the nicer people are. The immigration woman in Manchester was positively sweet. People are really nice in the Midlands too. I guess my points really just applied to the Reading/London area. I really dislike it there. XD

People who love England probably haven't traveled much. As I type this all I can see out of my window is grey skies, grey towerblocks and a few shady characters loitering around my house. Kind of sums up England in a nutshell really.

Meh. My ex-wife thought the same thing as you Rye (she was American too....I guess she still is).

Her über politeness gets looks BUT she did think people here were friendly & approachable SOCIALLY but were not as great when working? if that makes sense.

AMERICANS ARE MORE POLITE IN RETAIL STORES. Actually, when I went to Abercrombie or AE or somethin. They the staff annoyed me. LEAVE ME ALONE IF I WANT SOMETHING I WILL WALK UP TO YOU AND ASK.