Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The EoFF Linkshell/Group/Clan/Thing

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Some members here are giving me conflicting messages. People have been going on and on about how we need to milk this potential FFXIV community, to get as many people to join EoFF as possible with all sorts of FFXIV stuff, but if you have a random clan name that has nothing to do with EoFF and you don't want to go around saying "HEY JOIN EYESONFF.COM LOL" or something then basically we won't be getting any members. And I don't want to do the latter of those two things.

People out there will be looking for two kinds of sites. The first will be FFXIV dedicated sites, which we are not and even if we tried to be we'd not compete, and the second will be for clan/guild/LS/whatever sites. If we have, say, 50 people on the server all with our Linkshell or Company name of "Eyeson" then people will look into that, especially if they join. If we have, say, 50 people on the server all with our Linkshell or Company name of "[othername]" then people won't find our website because it won't rank highly and when they see the name of the website, it won't register with them that "Eyes on Final Fantasy" would actually be the home of our group.

So if we're already giving up on getting loads of members to EoFF then that's cool, but you can give up on promoting EoFF in any way.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

So, we're just making this because you guys want to get more members to the forums?

Well, count me out. Hopefully I'll see you guys on the same server.

Edit: I just felt I should add my 2cents anyways. I don't think people running by and checking out linkshell names are going to be like "Amg that must be a forum, I'll go sign up!", you'll get the members by them joining the linkshell, getting familiar and friendly with the members, and the forums being known within that internal community.

The idea would be to have a catchy and cute name that people will, in time, be able to associate with this forum.
    Last edited by Rostum; 07-02-2010 at 02:37 PM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think it's pretty obvious that's not the main reason we're making this - otherwise I wouldn't have been in our Linkshell last time around. We all want to stay together and chat and play together. As for the "promote EoFF" stuff, I'm guessing you've not seen the FFXIV thread in the Feedback Forum which goes on about doing everything we can to get as much out of the FFXIV community as we can, to get activity boosted at EoFF.

The primary purpose of the group is always going to be enjoyment of the game and whatnot. I was just thinking that a lot of people were seemingly superkeen in that feedback thread on doing everything they could to promote EoFF but a few of them have in this thread already shown that they don't really care to that extent, and I for one don't mind what happens.

But if we aren't starting up a group based on EoFF then I don't think this thread really matters too much... We'll all end up in some group together, anyway, I imagine. As soon as we start getting picky about what name we go with, you just end up disappointing a bunch of people (as I found out). Maybe just go with the old LinkShell name Omecle had for us, although admittedly I can't remember it at this moment. =x

Although I have no complaints if you guys want to go with Aiyon. Eizon, Fat Chocobos, whatever works!

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think people are getting the right idea by this. It's sorta like a dual effort. I wanted to buy the game once I knew I'd have a PC that could run it and I would've wanted to play with fellow EoFFers. However, if we can attract a few members I don't see how that can hurt or have bad intent. It's not like we'll be creating bots to spam "join eyesonff.com the largest re...".

Hell, I actually though just Eyeson was an okay name. .

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, I thought Eyeson was okay too, but I'm more concerned with having the likes of Murd/Ouch/Omecle/Miriel/etc. happy than I am having me happy as I know they'll probably be putting up with whatever name we agree on longer than I will. =x

However, Eyesonff does, admittedly, suck. It just doesn't work as a group name thing. xD

Anyone who goes around saying "JOIN EYESONFF.COM" is just going to make people not join. I really, really hope nobody here actually does that. I suggest it to friends if they're game for a forum but I would never suggest it to randoms on a game.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Eyeson is a horrible guild name

It'd be better if you incorporated a part of the website's name into a better guild/LS name.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Omecle View Post
    Edit: I just felt I should add my 2cents anyways. I don't think people running by and checking out linkshell names are going to be like "Amg that must be a forum, I'll go sign up!", you'll get the members by them joining the linkshell, getting familiar and friendly with the members, and the forums being known within that internal community.
    I don't think anyone had anything other than this in mind.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Hasn't anyone around he learned what happens when you offer me responsibility? No? Oh dear.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

No!

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

As for the name, I vote Overture!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

THAT'S the one! Yes, I am totally up for a return of Overture. It was quality. And hopefully some people will recognise it from Midgard.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Now who's the one giving conflicting responses?

I'm not going to play FFXIV to promote EoFF, I'm going to play to have fun. If I meet fun people I will invite them to our LS/guild/company and tell them that our home site is forums.eyesonff.com, definitely. I'm not expecting people to see the name 'Eyeson' or 'Eyesonff' and go 'oh hey Eyesonff, I wonder what that is, *goes to Google it and then join the forums*'. That's not going to ever happen. The only way people will join our forums is if we tell them to within the community. In which case they already joined the LS, in which case the name doesn't really matter. So let's make the name something interesting and not dumb.

Fat Chocobos is a name that has Eyeson ties to both the elections and gang wars. It's also a FF related name and it's also cool sounding. Who doesn't like the Fat Chocobo? I think it's a perfect name.

BoB, you are already alienating people like Mirage and Omecle, veteran MMO players, because you are making this seem like priority number 1 is to promote EoFF while priority number 2 is to play FFXIV. That's far from the case for me. All I want is to play this game together. If we meet people on the way who want to be a part of our community, so be it, but that won't be my focus in the game. Not unless the owners pay my monthly fee.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Some members here are giving me conflicting messages. People have been going on and on about how we need to milk this potential FFXIV community, to get as many people to join EoFF as possible with all sorts of FFXIV stuff, but if you have a random clan name that has nothing to do with EoFF and you don't want to go around saying "HEY JOIN EYESONFF.COM LOL" or something then basically we won't be getting any members....

.... So if we're already giving up on getting loads of members to EoFF then that's cool, but you can give up on promoting EoFF in any way.
    Coming to this conclusion makes no sense BoB. It's not conflicting messages at all, and just because people don't like the silly name of Eyeson for the LS name doesn't mean "we're already giving up on getting loads of members to EoFF".

Omg, I can't even. :twak:

The main reason I don't like the name is cause it just sounds weird as a LS name. But the 2nd biggest reason why I don't like it is because it's exclusive and not very inviting imho. Omecle is right, the best way to get people into the linkshell and then into the forums is to have a fun catchy LS name that will perk people's interest and overall being known as a super friendly in-game LS, that also has the benefit of a strong website/forum presence. Focusing on all Eyesonff all the time will HURT EoFF's efforts to gain more members. That's like requiring everyone to have Eyesonff as their last name in the game. It's just too much, and if I weren't a EoFFer already and I saw advertising on the mainsite saying, "Join Eyes on Final Fantasy's FFXIV Linkshell, Eyeson!" I don't think it would appeal to me.

But if it were something like, "Join Eyes on Final Fantasy's new FFXIV Linkshell, The Fat Chocobos!" would be SO MUCH BETTER.

We don't need to be so overt about it that people think that we're overbearing about it. And I don't think we should ever make anyone in the LS feel as though they HAVE to be a part of the forums to be a part of the LS. Just make it so that they want to join on their own because the forums and the LS will be tied so closely together. Like whenever there's a fun event that we're hosting, we can put up the details on EoFF's frontsite and discuss it in the forums. That kind of integration is what we should be looking for.
    Last edited by Miriel; 07-02-2010 at 06:13 PM.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I really don't care what it's named as long as it's cool. I don't mind Eizon, Overture, or Fat Chocobos (representing the chat part of the site, as well). As long as I end up playing with all you guys and we're united, I'll be happy.

Just like to point out that I don't really read any part of the forums except for the FFXIV, FFXI and sometimes General Gaming sections. So I didn't realise the stuff in the Feedback section.

Having slept on this, I have a couple things to say. I'm not really too concerned with it all; I just personally feel the best way we can have both worlds of 'fun name' and 'promote website' is to have a catchy name that can gradually be recognized as Eyes on Final Fantay's linkshell, while not throwing it down anyone's throat.

Also, I would also like to add that I am a terrible leader and FFXIV is a lot different to FFXI so I wouldn't really want to disappoint you guys.

Suggestion! Maybe we should get some nominations for a name and get some polls going? Or is that a bad idea?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."