Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Inception

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    It was an enjoyable experience, even though we were in the second row.. that is, RIGHT in front of the screen.
    Same.

Also, I did not know Cillian Murphy was in this. I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Overall, movie was fantastic.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I have to disagree in part with some of the hype.

(SPOILER)It was a good and entertaining movie, but I think future reflection will show it wasn't much more than that. The pacing was rushed as they tried to cram so much into 2.5 hours; I thought they focused too much on action instead of really delving into Fisher's development and the process of trying to plant the inception (which was a really, really cool concept); and the ending, though quite well done, was predictable.

Overall, very good, original movie that is well worth seeing. But it will not be considered on the level of The Matrix in three years.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

One thing it will have over The Matrix is it won't have two terrible sequels.

I thought it was technically fantastic, and a great cast, but I'm not sure it completely engaged me, it felt a little empty when it was over. But it was certainly impressive, and in contrast to most summer films it doesn't treat its audience like idiots.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    One thing it will have over The Matrix is it won't have two terrible sequels.
    Yeah, when I say The Matrix, I only meant the first one. The second two just warrant disregard for their existence.

Banned

If you can see it in the theater, DO IT. It was totally made for the big screen.

If you have to go to the bathroom during the film and can hold it, DO IT. If you miss more than a second you're going to be completely lost.

Honestly though, I had no idea how long it was when I went to see it and when I looked at the time after it was over I couldn't believe I was sitting there watching it for two and a half hours...it only felt like I was in there for about an hour, hour and fifteen minutes at best. It's that engrossing.

I won't try to say it's the best movie ever or anything, but it's hands down the best film I've seen this year.

It was pretty good. The concept of the dream within a dream stuff was really interesting. I think they could have talked about the mechanics of everything a bit better in the beginning. It was very rushed and just all lead up to the point where they begin their mission. If they had the beginning down this movie would be perfect.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Default Goldenboko's response to watching Inception:

...wow.

I thought it was superb. If Borges had written a blockbuster it probably would've come out something like this. I can't really think of any higher praise than that. The fact that there are at least two different ways to interpret what happened makes it even more enthralling in my book.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Best movie I've seen this year. The trailer is full of confusing imagery, but in context it all makes sense. It's rare to see an intelligent blockbuster, but this manages to be intricate yet understandable. I was only lost when I was supposed to be, despite navigating all the levels of reality.

Here's a question, if the ending is interpreted to mean that (SPOILER)the reality that Cobb has returned to is in fact itself a dream state, does that mean that all the other characters merely projections of his mind? If so I think that three of the other main characters could represent aspects of his mind in Freudian terms: Arthur is the Ego (rational mind), Ariadne is Superego (conscience) and Moll is Id (instinctual desire). Of course you could interpret it the ending the other way (since the top is wobbling a little).

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    Best movie I've seen this year. The trailer is full of confusing imagery, but in context it all makes sense. It's rare to see an intelligent blockbuster, but this manages to be intricate yet understandable. I was only lost when I was supposed to be, despite navigating all the levels of reality.

Here's a question, if the ending is interpreted to mean that (SPOILER)the reality that Cobb has returned to is in fact itself a dream state, does that mean that all the other characters merely projections of his mind? If so I think that three of the other main characters could represent aspects of his mind in Freudian terms: Arthur is the Ego (rational mind), Ariadne is Superego (conscience) and Moll is Id (instinctual desire). Of course you could interpret it the ending the other way (since the top is wobbling a little).
    (SPOILER) I don't really see even how it can be another dream. Last we saw him was in limbo (or a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream or something) and I assume that he somehow got himself and Seito out of there. How, I don't even know. But if he didn't get him out and it was still a dream then...wtf right?

Bloody amazing film. Really really good.

(SPOILER)
    At the end, I think he was still dreaming. His kids were still exactly the same, in the same clothes, the simplicity of him coming home with everything going to plan was also like a dream come true. And I don't see how shooting himself would have allowed him to escape from limbo as presumably he was still being affected by the sedative. I guess he could've just waited it out though.

I do want to see the movie again though for sure.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

(SPOILER)The problem in believing that the end was a dream is that it is not supported anywhere in the narrative. We can know that the reality he returned to is reality because we have seen his totem topple in it before. Unless the transition from reality to another dream (for which Cobb requires the use of the machine) happens off screen, everything adds up to the final scene taking place in reality. One could suppose that such a transition from reality to dream occurs off screen, but I won't accuse Nolan of such shoddy storytelling. One might just assume that the whole movie was actually a dream and that we were told about his totem wasn't necessarily true, but that sort of distrust for an entire narrative leaves the story meaningless anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    (SPOILER)The problem in believing that the end was a dream is that it is not supported anywhere in the narrative. We can know that the reality he returned to is reality because we have seen his totem topple in it before. Unless the transition from reality to another dream (for which Cobb requires the use of the machine) happens off screen, everything adds up to the final scene taking place in reality. One could suppose that such a transition from reality to dream occurs off screen, but I won't accuse Nolan of such shoddy storytelling. One might just assume that the whole movie was actually a dream and that we were told about his totem wasn't necessarily true, but that sort of distrust for an entire narrative leaves the story meaningless anyway.
    (SPOILER)I think you are mistaken. The toppling of the totem was observed before he entered the dreams. To see if he escaped from the dreams we would've needed to have seen if the totem fell or not in the final scene. Just because the world seemed like reality didn't mean it was reality. His mind could have created 'reality' because he knows what it is like.

Thus we have no clue if he is in reality or not in the final scene but there are fairly strong hints that it is still a dream, which I have outlined already. Bear in mind that this viewpoint does not require any distrust in the entire narrative as it would fit perfectly well with the beginning being reality (although that too is a point of contention).

As a final point, I think the dream ending, if it's true, raises some interesting questions. At the end of the day, does it really matter whether it's a dream or whether it's reality? Surely all that matters to him is whether he thinks it's a dream or reality?

In summary, I think that his journey went like this:

Reality ------> Dream -----> Dream which is like a perfect, plausible reality

But the initial reality may have been a dream itself. Remember how he was chased by unknown agents in terrifying circumstances and then how he squeezes through a bizarre little hole tiype thing? Is it a fantastical reality or simply a dream?

EDIT: Just came across an awesome article echoing and expanding upon my viewpoint:

NEVER WAKE UP: THE MEANING AND SECRET OF INCEPTION
    Last edited by Vivisteiner; 07-19-2010 at 09:50 PM.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't like you all speaking in code. Dang man I need to see this.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

To all that I say: (SPOILER)it wobbled.