Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Inception

Blog Entries

Yes I agree with I took the red pill, I think the spinning top isnt just 'tacked on' for a cheap 'woah' as Raistlin says. Nolan very deliberately and skillfully balanced both possibile ending interpretations (dream or real, there are more than two but those are the main obvious ones) precisely so that neither ending has any more probability over the other

ALso I hate to quote myself but I really want to discuss:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmage_nuke
    How and why did Cobb and Mal go into the first limbo? What were they doing at the time? It only shows them waking up on the floor, there is no one else around that they were trying to extract information from and no one to operate the machine. If there isnt an answer it begs the golden question presented in the film "How did they get there". This seems to support the "the entire movie is a dream" theory
    Infact I cant think of anything that describes the past of Cobb or anyone elses for that matter besides Fisher (the photo with the pinwheel) before Cobb's first time in limbo.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    ALso I hate to quote myself but I really want to discuss:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmage_nuke
    How and why did Cobb and Mal go into the first limbo? What were they doing at the time? It only shows them waking up on the floor, there is no one else around that they were trying to extract information from and no one to operate the machine. If there isnt an answer it begs the golden question presented in the film "How did they get there". This seems to support the "the entire movie is a dream" theory
    I believe that Cobb, being trained in the field of dream manipulation by his father, suggested that him and Mal share some dreams and explore the endless possibilities (to quote Adriadne: "It's pure creation"). Thing is, either by accident or on purpose, not sure, they ended up going too deep. They live in Limbo for a time until Cobb convinces Mal that they are dreaming, they are killed by the train, and then they wake up. When they wake up on the floor you can see the dream machine next to them. I assume Cobb just pressed the button that lulled them both into the dream state.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I’m waiting for my brother to wake up so I can go see it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meat Puppet View Post
    I’m waiting for my brother to wake up so I can go see it.
    "Kick" him. xD

I thought it was a great movie too. Also, I agree with Del (and others) with their opinion of the ending. Whether there's an actual answer or not - it still drew a audible gasp from the audience in my cinema. I think that was the desired effect.

Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Brilliant film. Easily one of the best I've seen in a good few years.

I can't remember the last time I watched a film and thought/talked about it for so long afterwards!

I want to see it again, to see the bits I missed the first time round.

(SPOILER)Regarding the ending, was it reality/was he still dreaming?

Didn't they say the sedative would last the length of the flight? Isn't it just possible that he found Saito, the sedative wore off and they woke up?

As for the kids not changing physically, did we even see their faces before the end? I don't remember seeing their faces prior to when he returns home at the end of the movie.

I prefer to think it was reality, because when using the totem in the dreams previously, it never wobbled, it just kept spinning and spinning. It wobbling to me said 'reality'. Plus, I just like happy endings.

As for the wedding ring being the audiences totem, I didn't notice this. I'm going to keep an eye out for it in my second viewing.

Somebody mentioned why were Dom and Mol in limbo in the first place - didn't he mention to Ariadne that he and Mol were working together, seeing what they could create?

Ahhhhh, I need to see this again!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow, that was seriously awesome. I knew Nolan was a good director and film maker, but the way he managed to tie that plot together was, for me, a truly amazing thing to watch. I loved the concept (probably could have been explored a little deeper, but meh), and the action was amazing as well.

I'm going to stick with thinking it was a happy ending for the moment. Whether that's the right way to look at it or not doesn't really bother me, I just think the guy deserved a break.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    (SPOILER)Somebody mentioned why were Dom and Mol in limbo in the first place - didn't he mention to Ariadne that he and Mol were working together, seeing what they could create?
    He said that they were doing experiments on the subconscious and he kept pushing to see how deep they could go and they eventually went so deep that they got stuck in Limbo.

Blog Entries

Im watching it again tommorow
    Normally I would never pay to watch a movie twice but I think this is totally worth it
    So I guess i'll be able to answer all my nagging questions, tempted to take notes during the movie but that would be weird
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I remember when Miriel first asked if I wanted to go see this movie.

Miriel: Hey do you want to go see Inception?
    Me: What's Inception?
    Miriel: It's what Christopher Nolan has been doing instead of making more Batman.
    Me: Aww, that bastard! I want more Batman. What the crap is he doing?

Well, if this is what he's giving us then I don't need to see more Batman anytime soon.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

..But Batman was pretty damn epic.

And Cillian is in both What more could you ask for

I am not a man

I saw it twice in theaters, a few days apart. I'm thoroughly convinced that Leo picks the best roles. I honestly can't think of a bad movie he's made, within the past ten years or so. Not to mention his supporting cast is pretty epic.

As soon as the movie ended, even though it had already been released for quite a while by that point, the atmosphere in that room was: " What the smurf just happened." I was obsessing about it the next day, and decided that I needed to see it again. I'm even considering a third showing.

It's definitely a second-showing type of movie. Plenty of things I didn't really notice before, as I was too busy trying to follow the story around. His ring, for example.

Addition: I honestly don't think Nolan wobbled the top at the end to make people fuss and debate over whether the final sequence is dream or reality, though I'm sure he knew that's how people would react. I think the most important part of the ending is the fact that Cobb walks away from the top before he can find out whether it falls or not. It's a happy ending, regardless of whether he's in reality or not, because ultimately, Cobb got to be with his kids.

Also, according to some guy and imdb, the kids are wearing different shoes in the final scene. And on the cast list, two sets of actors play the children.

Second addition: I also disliked The Matrix. I fell asleep during the sequels, in theaters. Mind you, I also disliked Avatar. Just thought I'd get that out there.
    Last edited by Doomie; 07-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Yeah Last Airbender was terrible.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The end was not a dream! I'll kill anyone who thinks it was! *runs away crying*

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

This might have already been picked up on in the thread but this was an interesting thing to note about the music:

Hans Zimmer: Clever Clogs… « Danny Graydon
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ha, they made the pretty song scary. How cute of them.