Thread: Windows won't boot from Cd.

Default Windows won't boot from Cd.

So my hard-drive got a trojan horse so it wouldn't even boot from the cd and gets stuck at the loading screen. Today I just baught a new sata hard-drive replacing that one everything was going fine when I was installing drivers/software. I think what went wrong was I didn't restart computer each time it asked me, for each of the drivers/software I installed. Well now with this new HD it goes past the Windows loading screen, the screen is black. Though the computer is still responsive to me shutting the power button it shuts off. I had trouble installing some of the graphics cards drivers off the internet because I lost my cd. I don't know what to do now, I think one mistake is I should've went off the list of supported hard drives off the chipset website. Then again Windows installed and was working, able to shut down when the screen is goes black after the Windows loading screen.

Everytime I boot it up, it won't even boot from CD when I'm pressing keyboard key's. I went in the bios and changed the boot sequence to boot cd first. I even disabled the third boot device and the sequence is Cd first and Hard-drive second.

Any help here? I'm about to search off the internet on how to fix this problem rather then spending 115 dollars for some Joe from a computer store try and fix my computer when I can figure it out myself.

Thanks for taking the time reading my thread. Any help with this problem will be much appreciated.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Have you got the old HDD still plugged into your LB? if so you should remove the cable and try booting again, try tapping F11 when the computer boots up, it might allow you to go into system restore, it would wipe everything from your HDD but seeing as you don't have anything on there yet as its new you have absolutely nothing to lose, with regards to your driver for you HDD, when I installed my second HDD onto my LB it picked it up automatically.

Additionally if you install an old version of Windows XP it could be worth noting that if it doesn't have SP3 it will limit the size of the HDD to 127GB but this can be solved go to Disk Management and see if you have some unpartitioned space there. You can find Disk Management under Computer Management, which you get to by right clicking "My Computer" and select "Manage". If you can't see the total space there, your BIOS might not support large hard drives.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've found Windows XP is also a bit dodgy installing to SATA drives due to it's age, unless you either slipstream the SATA drivers onto the XP install CD (effectively creating and burning a custom install disk), or so change a setting in the BIOS to allow the SATA controller to emulate the older IDE connections (might be called legacy on some BIOSes)

Though if you're convinced XP is actually working but just giving a black screen after booting, have you tried safe mode (press F8 when booting, before the XP logo appears)? Might just be the graphics drivers in your case that need reinstalling
    Problems playing downloaded videos? Try CCCP

Thanks for the advice everyone.

So it actually turns out my computer wasn't detecting my 'Microsoft Keyboard', to test that theory I baught a new keyboard for 18 dollars. When prompt to boot from CD the new keyboard worked. Now I got my computer running again. Simple problem fixed. I'll keep that 'slipstream' idea in mind, going to do that with my current xp disk.