Thread: Nooks, and give me books to read

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Default Nooks, and give me books to read

I just got a Nook, and am in the middle of a crazy book-downloading spree. But I need ideas. Recommend good books to me, especially science fiction or fantasy. For reference, some of the books in those genres I have already read and loved:

Douglas Adams
    Neal Stephenson's Anathem
    Everything good by Weis/Hickman (DragonLance, Death Gate Cycle)
    Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy

Some other stuff I've already read at least some of (so you don't need to recommend them):

George R. R. Martin
    Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time
    David Eddings
    Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth
    Stephen King
    Piers Anthony
    Orson Scott Card
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld
    Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant

I haven't even read a book on my Nook yet, and I already love it.

Blog Entries

The Bible.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I already have a Bible. Silly me for forgetting that one.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's not science fiction or fantasy but Bret Easton Ellis is great quality.

The Runelords is a pretty good series, though I haven't read the more recent books and can't attest to their quality, the first couple are fairly well written. Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is becoming one of the staple books in the fantasy genre and has received pretty fantastic praise from basically everyone who is anyone in the science fiction/fantasy genre.

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks is by no means amazing, but it is still decently written and has a couple worthwhile twists and turns to it. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it. Along the same lines, Kingmaker, Kingbreaker by Karen Miller is a decent read, but still not entirely groundbreaking to the genre itself.

The Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch is worth it, simply for the way he writes and develops the characters. It's written fairly light-hearted at times, but can get a little dark in others, and the characters themselves are wonderful.

Chronicles of the Necromancer is a book I've been wanting to read for a little bit, but haven't gotten around to it. I'm not sure if it will be amazing or not, but from the little I managed to read it seems good enough to hold my interests.

Along with Wheel of Time perhaps given Brandon Sanderson's novels any time? I haven't read any of his books personally, but they are on my ever-increasing list of things to read eventually.

That should be enough for now?

I'll second the recommendation for Lynch, although I've only read the first book in the series so far. Rothfuss was also pretty good but he needs to finish the damn sequels already. It's been what, three years? And they were supposed to be a book each year. Granted he seems to be polishing them up to respond to the few criticisms people had of the original book, and apparently he had a loss in the family that resulted in the loss of a lot of his time, but that doesn't explain the entire delay.

You might also like Ursula K. LeGuin and John Twelve Hawks; I wrote a mini-review of the latter's first book (which I'm halfway through) here.

I also liked Steven Erikson's first book but got interrupted halfway through the second one due to school a few years ago and haven't picked the series back up since. I plan to restart it after I finish off some of the other books I'm in the middle of.

And he's not really sci-fi (although he is influenced by it) but I always tell people to read Thomas Pynchon. Gravity's Rainbow is too much to start out with (although it's generally regarded as his best) so I'd say go for one of the shorter books; The Crying of Lot 49 or Inherent Vice, or maybe Vineland. Vineland has ninjas. You can't go wrong with ninjas.
    Last edited by The Man; 07-12-2010 at 05:31 AM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

The second book has a release date now (March 1st, 2011) but I agree that the wait was excruciatingly painful. I'm just finishing up my fourth read of Name of the Wind because I want it to be reasonably fresh in my mind. I'll probably read it again sometime between now and March though.

Scott Lynch is worse, since the third book doesn't have a release date yet and I haven't heard anything other than Lynch bitching about Blizzard's RealID thing for their games.

For some reason I thought the third Lynch book had a release date last time I looked it up at work. Maybe that was another case of B&N making things up again though.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Bunny: I <3 you and I pretty much trust your taste in books implicitly at this point, so I'll give some of those a try (eventually).

Aaron: Hawks and Pychon look interesting, so I will add at least those to the list (and look into the others). And there's no worry about a book being "too much" to start out with; I made it through Anathem as my first venture into Neal Stephenson, and that is massive.

With Gravity's Rainbow it's not just the length of the novel that's intimidating, but the depth of the esoterica into which Pynchon delves. From my one experience with Stephenson thus far (Cryptonomicon) he does the same, but to a lesser extent. The often hallucinatory nature of some of the prose in Gravity's Rainbow doesn't help, either; Pynchon himself has said that he no longer fully understands all of the passages in the book and is uncertain whether he ever did.

But if you don't think you'll be put off, feel free to go ahead. I had to give it three goes before I could get through it (although the second time was aborted mostly due to school). Once I did I was extremely glad I took the plunge though. Most people who've read the whole book have generally said that if you make it through the first hundred pages, you're through the toughest part of the book, and I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    <span style="font: 16px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee;">For some reason I thought the third Lynch book had a release date last time I looked it up at work. Maybe that was another case of B&N making things up again though.</span>
    Likely. B&N is absolutely horrible with release dates and most of the time makes them up. I went to Lynch's website, LJ and the wiki entry for the series and neither of them mentioned anything about the third book, so I'm going to take that more than B&N.

Bunny: I <3 you and I pretty much trust your taste in books implicitly at this point, so I'll give some of those a try (eventually).
    Woo!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    <span style="font: 16px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee;">For some reason I thought the third Lynch book had a release date last time I looked it up at work. Maybe that was another case of B&N making things up again though.</span>
    Likely. B&N is absolutely horrible with release dates and most of the time makes them up. I went to Lynch's website, LJ and the wiki entry for the series and neither of them mentioned anything about the third book, so I'm going to take that more than B&N.
    <span style="font: 16px Candara, Skia, Corbel, 'Trebuchet MS', Georgia, Geneva, Helvetica, Lucida, 'Lucida Grande', Arial, sans-serif; color: #38bcee;">Yeah they've also had several release dates for Dance listed which were obviously bogus. Sucks, since several of them already passed several years ago.</span>

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not sure you'd like my favorites, but I'll toss them out anyway.

Anything by Raymond E. Feist, The Riftwar Saga especially. Good smurfin' books.

The Keepers of the Hidden Ways by Joel Rosenberg. If you like those check out The Guardians of the Flame. Both of the series are kind of an acquired taste. Really interesting storylines. GotF kind of takes a different course in book six.

The Obsidian Chronicles by Lawrence Watt-Evans. Freya got me into this series. I've only just started the first book but it's really good so far.

Not a whole lot of variety on my bookshelf but this is the stuff I'd most recommend.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I third, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It is an amazing read.

Agreed about the Night Angel series by Weeks. While not the most amazing thing to hit the pages, still very entertaining and totally was what I needed in my assassin phase I went through a while back.

The Chronicles of a Necromancer by Gail Z. Martin is pretty decent. I am currently finishing up the fourth and technically final book in the series, Dark Lady's Chosen. I really enjoyed the first book, The Summoner, but the focus on characters really switches as the series progresses. While each book always includes the stories of the main cast of characters, there is a subtle shift in focus that slowly occurs. So part of the reason I haven't finished the fourth book as fast is due to that and just being busy. Still a good book. Does its own twist on vampire lore as well, long before vampires were the new thing. Dark Lady's Chosen is the last in the Chronicles of a Necromancer series, but Martin will continue the story in a new series (and a new publisher) in March 2011. The Sworn will be the first book of The Fallen Kings Cycle and is set 6 months after the events of Dark Lady's Chosen. All-in-all, I recommend at least reading The Summoner and going from there. I really enjoyed it.

The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik rewrites history with dragons in it and is set during the Napoleonic wars. A solid read, especially if you like dragons that talk. I haven't finished the series yet though.

The Obsidian King trilogy by James Mallory and Mercedes Lackey is something that might be worth your attention. Lackey is a rather prolific writer, even if she has a tendency to have Gary Stus and Mary Sues populate her novels. I love the twist she has on magic in it!

I have other series I would recommend but I dunno if you'd like them.

Oh and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke might be up your alley.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You could complete the Dragonlance collection. They have a torrent with all of them on Demonoid.

Here's the ebook manager you're gonna want to at least edit your metadata: calibre - E-book management