Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010/2011 UK Football Season Thread

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Russia and Qatar? Really? Really?

Sod trotting out Prince William, next time just bribe FIFA.

Blog Entries

Jesus, Qa-smurfing-tar? A country that hasn't ever come even close to qualifying for the World Cup, has no decent stadia, is smaller than Connecticut, and who's only redeeming factor is their multi-billionaire oil barons? I smell massive backhanders. Not too bothered about Russia, but Qatar, holy balls.

EDIT: Just realised I'm gonna be in my 40s the next time the World Cup can come to the UK

there was a picture here

Articles

Every nation was ranked as a "low risk" from a logicistical standpoint apart from Russia and Qatar, who were "medium risk" and "high risk" respectively. In Qatar, homosexuality is punishable by a prison sentence and slavery is legal, and in Russia, well, "Thanks West Brom" is all that needs to be said.

I just. I can't. What. How. What. What the smurf. Why. WHAT.

Still, YouTube - Introducing Qatar 2022's First Five Stadiums! I like their stadium plans though.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It was clearly all the BBC's fault, nothing to do with putting the decision of where to host a World Cup in the hands of 22 old men of (mainly) questionable ethics. I'm guessing the idea of letting a representative of each FIFA member have a vote (like the IOC does with the Olympics) is far too logical.

How about this ridiculous season so far eh?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

It would have been nice of them to just start off the entire bidding process with "Look, we're going for developing countries, we don't want to give it to the likes of England, America or Australia. We want to help countries develop by 'gifting' them the World Cup rather than 'gifting' the World Cup to a country that doesn't need the cash for football since it's already loaded." or something like that. Even simply "We want to give it to a country that has never hosted the World Cup" would have been fine.

I'm slightly disappointed by FIFA, but it's nothing new. One does have to wonder how long it will take for either FIFA to change it's ways or alternatively for some international G-14 style group to force a change.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

England and the other losing countries should form their own organisation. With blackjack! And hookers! And England could finally find a way then to do away with penalty shoot outs.
    Last edited by charliepanayi; 12-03-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I assume America could just bomb Qatar and get it back.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

FIFA has been very dodgey as long as I've known them, and Sepp Blatter is a complete ignorant wanker. I'm disapointed for England, and in a way for the USA. You could say that they held it recently enough but a World Cup would do so much for the popularity of the sport there.

Str8 Pimpin'

Yeah the USA bid would have been a good one (the 1994 World Cup was good, I wouldn't have minded another World Cup thre). The Australian bid got absurdly short shrift too - one vote! And this from a country which can organise major sporting events in their sleep.

I may as well enjoy being top of the league thanks to the Man Utd game being postponed - before we probably get crushed at Old Trafford on Monday week

Articles

Great that's all we need, another World Cup full of this .
    Quote Originally Posted by eternal essence View Post
    I assume America could just bomb Qatar and get it back.
    This, but 100% seriously. Vuvuzelas deserve to be punished by tactical nuclear strikes.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I think there was something fishy about the World Cup voting. I don't think England has an automatic right to host the World Cup and expected a Russian win, but a measly two votes for England just seems unusually low.

As for my own team, I'm struggling to think of my highlight of the season so far. Actually, given that we've only won three league matches, I'm pretty sure the derby win is about the only highlight. The only thing that stopped my topping myself after getting knocked out of the League Cup by Brentford was that Liverpool got knocked out by even worse opposition. Our main problem seems to be that we've drawn exactly half of our matches. And some of our losses (such as against Aston Villa), I'm at a complete loss as to how they occurred when we've not been playing too badly. It's just our lack of a goalscorer that hurts us. If we had a striker that could knock in 15 goals a season, I'd be confident of a finish in the European places.

And don't even get me started on Jermaine Beckford, a Championship player who is only playing for Everton because we needed a striker and he was available on a free and worth a punt.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Blog Entries

Now watch in awe as the Liverpool fans who were baying for the blood of Benitez (alliteration bonus!) six months ago are queuing up (on /sp/ anyway) to have him back!

there was a picture here

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

I'm still pretty annoyed Chris Hughton got the sack and now Mike Ashley is giving the new guy, Alan Pardew all the treatment and support Hughton would have killed for D: its just not right that someone so hardworking and well liked got kicked out in place for a ponce who couldn't manage a 3rd division side properly!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Now watch in awe as the Liverpool fans who were baying for the blood of Benitez (alliteration bonus!) six months ago are queuing up (on /sp/ anyway) to have him back!
    I was really hoping that this was true: Rafa Benitez's Inter Milan 'sacking' to clear way for Blackburn manager talks | Metro.co.uk

Benitez being sacked is hilarious though. I think Liverpool would be making a mistake to get rid of Hodgson though, certainly if they were to do so in favour of Benitez. I always felt Liverpool could have done better with someone other than Benitez as their manager and I think, given that there's belt tightening being done at Liverpool right now, Hodgson is the right, safe-pair-of-hands choice for them.

Also what the hell Everton. We can beat Liverpool and Man City and draw with United and Chelsea, yet we can't beat Birmingham, Wigan or Blackpool and got beaten 4-1 by West Brom. What the eff.

Edit: Also, as bad as I feel for Chris Hughton, I'm still slightly glad that Newcastle can provide as much hilarity manager-wise as ever. Here's hoping King Kev comes back next season.
    Last edited by Heath; 12-24-2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: lol "Christ Hughton"
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles

bring back rafa, then fire him