Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010/2011 UK Football Season Thread

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

You could say that for most of the top six in the Premiership lately.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I haven't defended Rooney in recent times but I will be very interested in seeing if Luiz gets anything remotely close to the same attention given to his elbow/shouldering as Rooney got for his elbow at Wigan.

Gutted about that game. Felt the penalty was very soft, but the word I'll put on it is 'giveable'. Can agree that Vidic should have been sent off. But why wasn't Luiz? This is what annoys me. He got away with a proper Nevilling there.

We possibly do get a lot of decisions going in our favour. I'm sure it's true. But I'm also sure that other teams also get a lot of decisions in their favour - it's just that nobody makes a fuss because it's not a dick-player. Barton, Rooney, even Ronaldo - their reputations preceded them and people would get in an uproar. But Giggs, Gerrard, Luiz and (I don't know how, mind you) Terry are seen as saints that don't get the same scrutiny. I mean, even Scholes... what I find crazy about Scholes is that he gets away with it purely because he's Scholes. "Oh, he can't learn how to tackle, he never could do it right." Of course he could. And it doesn't make it okay. If you tackle badly, you get carded.

Should have been a draw, or at least decided without a penalty. And if it was to be a penalty, at least make it an obvious enough one. Great game until the moment that Luiz shouldered Rooney, for me. I was annoyed about the elbow to Hernandez but thought it would have been a case where the ref waits for another serious foul before he cards - as we know is a common scenario (see: Vidic in the same game, seconds before he got sent off he should have been sent off for bringing down Drogba). But then when he did that next serious foul... nothing. What!? Okay. So when Vidic did his second bookable offence I thought he'd be fine, because Luiz got away with it. Consistency is too much to ask within a game these days, let alone for all teams throughout the entire season.

It shouldn't have been a penalty, Luiz should have been sent off along with Vidic, and it should have either finished a draw or with a deserved goal.

A bit frightened about playing Liverpool next week with no Rio or Vidic. Even Evans is out! Brown and Smalling? Hrmmm...
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

League Cup? It's a tinpot trophy, honest! The Treble is still on! Or maybe just the league, just have to win every remaining game. Easy!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    A bit frightened about playing Liverpool next week with no Rio or Vidic. Even Evans is out! Brown and Smalling? Hrmmm...
    Would rather play against Evans than smalling. Still, Martin Kelly is also out and he is better than all of those players so you have no excuses

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Would rather play against Evans than smalling. Still, Martin Kelly is also out and he is better than all of those players so you have no excuses
    Smalling is definitely better than Evans. Just pointing out that our #1, #2 and #4 CB are all out. Gutting.

On a sidenote, time for me to get educated: The Smalling foul that caused the penalty. People are saying on the telly at the moment that Smalling should have had the presence of mind to get out of the way of the incoming player. Is this actually the case? The defender has to move for the incoming player? That's an odd way to defend. I thought you could stand your ground. I can understand not moving into the path of a player and then clattering him, but if both of your feet are planted and the player crashes into you, is that always a foul?

charlie: Don't think that Arsenal need to win all their last games. Think that United will drop more points yet, and if we lose against Liverpool then it will certainly be a case of Arsenal on the front foot. Still, better yourselves than Chelsea or City.

Rio, Valencia, Park... get well soon.

I am not sure we're capable of being on the front foot! Not after Newcastle and Birmingham and everything else this year. I suspect everyone will continue to drop points (especially us now we have no Van Persie for this month minimum) and it'll be as it is now by May. But we just have to try and continue to chase. If nothing else, relegation should be fun this year with so many teams separated by a handful of points.

Articles

Yeah there's no way anyone but United will win the league, as much as I'd love it if City could do it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I seriously am worried about the league. My fellow United supporters tend to be thinking it'll be us who win it (and they say it with confidence). Of course, they thought we'd win 0-3 tonight (and they said it with confidence).

I'm looking forward to finding out what happens when either City or Chelsea don't make the Champions League. Especially if it continues to happen. What do they do then? What about the players? This is the main reason I hope Spurs stay in the CL.

Finally, as I go off to bed, I'll leave two tweets (is that right?) I've read today. One from a pro-United twitter, one from a anti-United twitter.

"If Smalling didn't want to concede a penalty why didn't he just elbow Zhirkov in the face?" - ManUnitedCheat (checked out this further and whoever it is has some amusing tweets )
    "Atkinson's record for Chelsea: P-16 W-15 D-1 L-0 F-38 A-2" - BeardedGenius (stats are from before the game)

Park... get well soon.
    Bugger, didn't realize he'd be out for the Liverpool game. He's definatly my favourite player. His work rate always shows, it's been a loss without him. Still, possible him and Valencia back this month could push us to league victory.

I honestly don't know what the hell we're gonna do with the back four on the weekend, I mean, Brown? Great. Smalling has done pretty damn well the past few games, but I'm unsure how he'll do without Vidic alongside him.

Still, while the treble is still there I'll dream. Dream like Arsenal did with the Quadruple just last week!

The FA Cup semi-finals could well be Man Utd, Man City, Stoke and Birmingham (I'd bet the first three make it anyway). Damn, I'd have to want Man City to win it then.

Articles

The other two I can get, but what did Stoke do to offend you?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You don't know how Arsenal hate Stoke? They think Stoke are the dirtiest players in the PL or something.

Articles

Oh right, they're the new Bolton aren't they?

Speaking of, and speaking of Twitter, anyone a fan of TheBig_Sam? It is the only twitter I will actually read. It's pure genius.

Stoke are dirty gits, Pulis is an idiot and they play godawful football to boot. I'm sure it's wonderfully effective but it's still terrible to watch. Beating them last season after Ramsey's leg got broken was a rather sweet moment. If they played Man Utd in the FA Cup final, I'd probably support Man Utd.

Articles

I like that Suarez fella, you know.

also hahaha at Nani crying. Dear god.

Hate all the current wank football punditry and journalism at the moment. SEND HIM OFF THAT'S EASILY A RED! for both the Carra and Rafael challenges. smurf off. Just smurf off. Football is a contact sport, it's better played 11 vs 11, stop being such god damn babies because challenges like that are what make it great. The refs are doing a good job at the moment.