Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1115161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 2010/2011 UK Football Season Thread

Robinson was pretty damn immense in that game.
    While Liverpool never looked like scoring at all, I'd say a draw was a fair result. If Eboue hadn't been so stupid, the ref would have blown his whistle and it would have been 1-0.

Also, I love any chance to see Wenger upset.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Gareth Bale and Jack Wilshere winning the PFA awards is hilariously awful. What next, Roy Hodgson winning manager of the year?! ...oh.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Gareth Bale and Jack Wilshere winning the PFA awards is hilariously awful.
    Any chance to hype up British internationals.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ashley Cole winning a place in the team of the year at left back rather than Leighton Baines just smacks of lazy/bad decision making. Baines has been fantastic this season and his initials are even LB. Cole's a good player, but Baines has been consistently great for a while now and is - in my incredibly biased opinion - more worthy of the accolade.

Spurs-Arsenal was a pretty excellent game of football tonight. Very exciting and entertaining. Thought Spurs looked the better team and I think that's really got to be game over for Arsenal's title hopes, unless they're expecting us to beat United at Old Trafford on Saturday, which I'm most definitely not.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Ashley Cole winning a place in the team of the year at left back rather than Leighton Baines just smacks of lazy/bad decision making. Baines has been fantastic this season and his initials are even LB. Cole's a good player, but Baines has been consistently great for a while now and is - in my incredibly biased opinion - more worthy of the accolade.

Spurs-Arsenal was a pretty excellent game of football tonight. Very exciting and entertaining. Thought Spurs looked the better team and I think that's really got to be game over for Arsenal's title hopes, unless they're expecting us to beat United at Old Trafford on Saturday, which I'm most definitely not.
    Have to agree. A Cole was below par for most of the season while Baines was just fantastic for Everton. But I'm in the same camp as many when I say Bale most definitely did not deserve to win player of the year. My vote would have went to Tevez, Berbatov, or Adam.

Ramos dropping is the cup gave me a good laugh seeing it there today.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles

Liverpool - Raul Meireles heads off challenge of Samir Nasri, Dimitar Berbatov, Fernando Torres and David Luiz | Give Me Football

Another one I don't agree with, haha! Don't think he has even been our best CM. (Lucas, underrated powerhouse)

...more deserving than Bale though And it's nice to see someone who is not a media darling winning an award.

The season Lucas has had really opened my eyes. I was always on the fence with him but he's played like a real pro. Even when it seemed like he might be run out of town, he just kept working hard, playing hard and improving. I really am glad to have him.

I am really looking forward to these last few games, but realistically, my focus is beginning to turn toward next season. With some new faces and a full year with Dalglish (Hopefully, surely has to be right?), I have very high hopes for Liverpool.

Also, what's the latest on the Man Utd debt situation?

Take care all.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The debt is being steadily repaid. At some point in the last year they paid off the expensive PIK loans, around £220m. There is no way to say where that money came from as the Glazers moved Red Football (the parent company) to Wisconsin or something like that where law says they don't have to reveal it (it should be noted that Red Football made a loss of about £100m, but that would not cover all the £220m debt payments), but the requirement to say how much debt Manchester United has showed up as around £370m with annual payments of £45m. The actual debt stands at around £500m, mostly made up of the bonds that were set up to pay off previous debt. A certain amount of money has already been spent buying some of those bonds back - about £26m worth. From what I understand, less than 50% of our £100m profit-before-transfers is spent on wages, so £45m is manageable for payments at present. Not perfect, but with the bonds floating around the market until February 2017, it may be a while before the debt is paid off as there is a penalty for paying back early. However, obviously, if we buy the bonds themselves then we will effectively be paying ourselves for our own bonds, so there are ways to (in effect) pay them off all the same.

I don't like the debt, but in all honesty I have no real qualms with the way that the Glazers are running the show. If it wasn't for their business sense, I do wonder if we'd have been able to increase our revenue as much as we have (commercial activity boosted from £40m income to £100m in five years), and they don't interfere with the football side of things. Eventually all debt will be paid off - it has been going down slowly as it is - and we will have a massive increase in the amount of money we have to play with for transfers/wages and, on top of that, we would also avoid problems such as those experienced in Chelsea, Hearts, City, Madrid and Barcelona where the president decides who to buy and the manager has to deal with what he's given.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Scott Parker wins FWA, and that is a very decent choice. I might have opted for Tevez or Vidic as my pick, but nothing really awful about this choice.

Also, smurf me, 5-0 without Gerrard, Carroll, Agger, Johnson, Kelly, Aurelio etc. and with the kids at full back. Maxi smurfing Rodriguez scoring a hat-trick?! JOE COLE ACTUALLY SCORING A GOAL?!?!?!?!?!?

Give Kenny a contract now. Hell, make Kenny Prime Minister and he'll have this country sorted in a week. Sort of getting excited about next season now. With some good buys and some trimming of the dead wood, I'm hoping we can reclaim our CL spot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Next season's battle for CL spots is going to be insane.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Maxi smurfing Rodriguez scoring a hat-trick?!
    I was speechless.

Not too fussed about our loss yesterday. Would've been nice if we could've hung on for a draw but given it was against Utd, at Old Trafford and given the state of our squad at the moment (which despite being very in-form is definitely not our strongest), I don't think 1-0 is anything to be ashamed of.
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Blog Entries

[ ] not told
    [ ] told
    [x] FERNANDO TOLDES

there was a picture here

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

of all the teams for fernando to score againts......
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292

Articles

Your sig pretty much sums it up there, fella.

...don't suppose you fancy having Joe Cole back, do you?

One Speed, One Gear, GO!! ScottyRedXIII's Avatar

hell, cant make us perform any worse............ can it?
    Twitter: @Scottyboy081292