Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010/2011 UK Football Season Thread

This is England
    Papa Waigo
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Site Staff

250k a week hahahaahha. Pretty obvious what he was after, I hope it will be worth it for United.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Honestly don't think he's on £250kpw - if he was, not only would the other top players at the club all start waving their hands in the air and end up with United being screwed over regarding all future contract negotiations when it comes to wages, but he's not worth £250kpw. My best guesses are one of the following happened...

1. Likely started by the agent, they were trying to get more money by quietly mentioning that he'll leave if he's not paid so much more. United called his bluff (hence the media getting involved) to see what would happen. Rooney attempted to get people onside by saying "it's because the owners won't invest!"

2. Rooney has been assured that a significant purchase or two will be attempted in the next two transfer windows.

3. Rooney has been assured (heaven forbid) that if United don't win, players will be facing the axe.

4. Similar to the £250kpw story, but not £250kpw. Closer to £150-200kpw. Possibly a better deal than was on offer but probably nothing close to what his agent was initially demanding.

5. Possibly the least likely but still entirely possible - He's been told to sign a contract "and we'll sell you in a year or two when we can get the most money for it", similar to Ronaldo's situation. Basically, keeping the value up and not much more.

Of course, we'll never really know, but oh well. United may tend to be pretty open with their financial books compared to most clubs, but I don't think they're that open. They do mention how much they pay agents each time, though. Will be interesting to see how much Paul Stretford got out of this.

PR disaster, though. Rooney couldn't have played it much worse when it comes to keeping the fans on his side. It's rather telling that as soon as Rooney made a "statement" (which clearly wasn't written by him!) and the media still slammed him over it, he went back to the negotiating table. Seems to me that Rooney quickly realised that he played this out wrong. Vacuum cleaner salesman may earn a lot of cash for representing Rooney, but I'll be damned if it doesn't show that he's still just that: A vacuum cleaner salesman. Anyone could earn money representing Rooney, but I don't know many agents out there that make things this ty for their client. Then again, I wonder how many clients out there are as easy to work with as "let's see what I can do next" Rooney.

But back to the £250kpw thing. I wish we could afford to pay players as much as any other club, to the extent of £250kpw. It'd be nice to know that our players would never leave for financial reasons alone. But I don't think it'll happen until we get new owners and/or the debt is paid off. Even then, I'm not sure.

EDIT: I love the conspiracy theories floating around about this being rigged. The only thing I can say about them is that if this was rigged, this is one smurfing good way of telling a player "Don't smurf with me" by Sir Alex. If he says you have an injury, you better start making sure you have an injury.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I thought the final deal was meant to be £180k per week (according to the Guardian website anyway).
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, just reading on various sites (BBC, Guardian, etc) that it's exactly the same contract that was written up in August and is worth £150k-£180k. The reason it's the same contract is allegedly because Rooney/Stretford never even looked at the contract in August - yesterday (or the day before) was apparently the first time they've even seen what was on offer. Crazy. Hard to believe, too, mind you.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

In summary-

Wayne Rooney: Silly tit.

There is no way his offered contract was changed that much in the 3 days since this all became public. his signing of a new deal simply happened too fast. Contracts take weeks even months to proof and then to counter. It's a long drawn out process.

I actually think this was all a masterstroke by Ferguson. By going public with his 'sincere' statement on Tuesday he called Rooney's bluff. I believe Rooney & Stretford were holdig out for a bumper pack and decided to leak stuff to the press as Gerrard's camp did a few years ago in order to set a bush fire going and get a bumper deal. I don't think for one moment they expected Sir Alex to go in TV and state that Rooney wanted to leave. Crucially he also stated 'the door is open if he wants to talk'.

According to Rooney's interview it was that statement that had him phone Stretford to set up a meet to talk to Gill and Sir Alex. The contract was signed and agreed in less than 24 hours. There is simply no way there was time for a re-negotiated contract.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I agree in the last few posts.

Str8 Pimpin'

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Feyenoord lost 10-0 to PSV in the Dutch league (and it was 2-0 at half-time). And I thought that 6-1 defeat at Old Trafford in 2001 was bad!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

10-0 is insane considering Feyenoord are one of the "big three" there. Have to say that I don't recognise any of the scorers, either.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

That's pretty amazing. With todays tactics involved and such you don't see a scoreline like that nowadays.

Str8 Pimpin'

Haha! Screw you Liverpool. (would of been better before they won that match)

Articles

...demon dude

Blog Entries

At least I'm man enough to insult Liverpool in the flesh

there was a picture here

Articles

Insulting Liverpool is a bannable offence round these here parts.

no joke

ok maybe joke

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Every now and then a guy comes along at a club I don't care about much that says something or even just plays in a way that makes me really like him despite his club or how good he is. A great example at the moment is that left back in Spurs after reading this (old) article: Benoît Assou-Ekotto: 'I play for the money. Football's not my passion' | Football | The Guardian

It makes me smile when players don't bull about. I love that on occasion he doesn't even know who he's playing on the day, either, apparently. Amusing read, anyway.