Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010/2011 UK Football Season Thread

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I half expected Van de Sar to do a Mission Impossible and pull his face off at the end of the Man Utd game to reveal that he was Almunia in a mask.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

And he would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for that meddling Chris Brunt.

Articles

Roy Hodgson is a worse LFC manager than Graeme Souness.

I know exactly what I have said. I know it is a very unpleasant thing to say about somebody. But it is true. I am sorry Roy, you are a nice fella but you're out of your depth. The £20m you spent on players was a waste - Poulsen, Konchesky, Mereiles, Jovanovic, Cole (admittedly free!) have certainly not been improvements on what we had when you got here. And you still failed to solve the sodding striker crisis that we've had for a good two seasons. Oh Rafa, you should never have sold Crouch or Keane! But still, I don't get what possible reason on earth Hodgson has for not buying a new striker when he had the time and funds to buy all of those players and also solve the much more important back up keeper crisis...! Tactically, though, that is the biggest fault of all. The football played is just so god damn negative, stifling, boring to watch and ineffective.

Go. Sorry. We can still be friends

as for the players, keep Reina, Gerrard and Kyrgiakos, and sell/fire/publically whip/shoot the rest. Especially Maxi Rodriguez.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You think Souness could have got Fulham into Europe, and then to a final?

The reason you haven't bought a quality striker is the same reason nobody but Man City, Barcelona and Madrid buy quality strikers these days: Man City, Barcelona and Madrid buy all the quality strikers.

You guys needed Konchesky and Cole purely for "home grown" rules. Don't know about the other guys, though. You don't want Torres anymore? Man, we wanted to buy him for ages.

As for style of football - that's the reason I'm not a Liverpool supporter today. I watched about ten games of Liverpool playing and fell asleep during every one until they played United and my eyes were opened to how 'attractive' football could be. Hooked ever since! But yeah, I can't remember who was in charge at the time I was watching them. *checks* I think it would have been around 2004. So either Houllier or Rafa, around the transition I guess.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

Just gonna leave these here:
    Graeme Souness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Roy Hodgson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, we don't even need a quality striker. Just any striker. We have precisely 2 senior strikers on our books. Christ, Marcus Bent or Ade Akinbiyi would've done! Sodding hell, Marlon Harewood was availiable on a free after all - I think he's scored more than Torres has this season...! On the subject on, nah, he may be a bit right now and need resting for a bit, but hands off Fernando. You've got Wayne Rooney to do his job!

The difference, I guess, between Benitez and Hodgson's sides, is that Benitez's Liverpool tended to really make it difficult for opposition sides when they had the ball. Players like Sissoko and Mascherano would just bomb all over the place trying to block and destroy. Nowadays, I think we seem content to let them come at us and then hoof the ball up from the back if the attack breaks down and it's just egggggh.

Blog Entries

Well, it appears that the white liquid in my fridge is indeed milk.

there was a picture here

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

So Rooney wants to leave United.

I'm sorry, but this label's him as a sellout. I bet Rooney looked at a mediocre player like Yaya Toure and seen his 220k a week wages and said, 'I'm one of the best players in this league, if he deserves it, so do I'. This leads me to my point. Money is destroying this game at club level. Any players with a lust for money throw any loyalty with a club out the window when they sense a higher wage-bill is around the corner. The blame can only be half left on the player as you can bet its agent will be feeding him the positives of a mega-money deal into it's clients ear.

It's exactly for this reason I'm feeling sorry for Fergie today. He has made it clear that he has had no argument with Rooney and he is very disapointed with him leaving. For this, I can see every reason why United fans will be outraged for his decision to go. In Ronaldos case, when he left everyone still respected him and his legacy at the club. He made it clear of his intentions and that he always wanted to join Real. Rooney hasn't given one detail about wanting to leave United, only other than to say he wants a 'fresh challenge'. He can't use excuses like 'I want to win trophies', or 'I always supported club X as a boy'. It annoys me because of what he said about United in the past just to suddenly change his decision. He often said he wanted to stay at United for life, and that signing for us was the best thing he'd ever done. Unless you are stupid its easy to see he's off on an earner, because its the only plausible explanation as to why he'd do a U-turn (and don't say it was because he was being dropped recently).

It's a display of a complete lack of respect for everything associated with United. Fergie, the fans, his team-mates, all he has won, everything. Although I am upset about it all I'm adament about where I stand on this debate. Off with him, because Man United certainly doesn't need a sellout among its ranks.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles

Agreed 100% and I'd feel the same about any Liverpool player saying that kind of thing.

Mind you, he did have the whole "Always a blue" thing, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise that he'd do this.

Articles

FFXIV Character

I thought that was dead and buried when he celebrated a goal for United in front of his old fans xD, but you must be right!

Str8 Pimpin'

I think you sum up my feelings on this perfectly, Rocket Edge.
    Tbh, he could have gone down as another Giggs or Scholes, and I've always loved him. But as soon as you start pulling the he's doing then it's time to go.
    I'm glad Fergie is not bowing to his ridiculous wage increase demand (double to £160,000 wasn't it? AND while off form? What cheek!). I can happily see the back of him and will yip with joy if he goes to Man City and we whoop them with him playing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Short of a massive apology, I can't see much past him being sold to either Chelsea, City or Madrid now. The middle option being most likely as he'll want to stay in England, but having said that, if Madrid are even close to City's offer then it could end up being Madrid that get him if Rooney is willing to go to the continent to get away from the English media spotlight (at least to some extent).

Oh well. This is the way things go in the football world, and it will remain the case. Players who prefer to stay at one club for life are long gone unless they start at a club who is at the pinnacle - both in wages and trophy contention - throughout their playing years. In other words, players like Messi. If Messi started at Everton, you can be your life he'd have moved, too. Likewise when United are no longer top payers when it comes to wages, players will look elsewhere with a bit of green in the eyes, and if they're young, they'll consider a move a logical option.

Even Giggs and Scholes probably wouldn't have been at one club all their playing years if they had started in, say, Accrington Stanley. But this sort of thing rarely happens these days - big players are spotted at a young age and immediately moved to the top. Even in the cases of Giggs and Scholes, this rang true. Neither were born on Old Trafford's doorstep, after all.

So there are two ways of looking at it. The players have to change, or your club has to change. Will the players change, really? No. You can't get Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney, Ferdinand, you can't get these guys without paying top dollar (or pound, or whatever). So that leaves the club. Can the club change? Yes, the ownership can change and the debt could be paid off in reasonable ways. But will this happen? I'm not so sure, but it largely depends on how soon United head out of the Champion's League and if it comes to that, then we'll see. Until then, if United continue to challenge for titles, the owners won't move. And in my opinion, if we continue to challenge for titles, then I don't have any problem with Rooney, Ronaldo, or anyone. For me, the club is in a good place so long as we continue to be either winning the title or within a few points at the end of the season. Last season? Lost by a point. This season, hopefully a win, but we'll see what happens.

There will always be transitional periods where new sides are developed by Fergie or any manager. I just think in this case it's a suckerpunch that Rooney was being designed as the primary figure in the next big side for United.

Mourinho thinks he'll stay regardless, but one might get the impression that's because Mourinho wants not only to show respect to Fergie (his 'best friend' in football management, apparently) but also to consider that he may someday manage United, and now is not a time to criticise the club he could manage in the coming years. I do find it amusing that a number of managers are now coming out and effectively saying "I don't know why he would leave Manchester United, nobody would want to leave that club, they have the best manager for him". Not the best money, perhaps not the best owners.

Articles

FFXIV Character

To be fair, you can understand why any player would want to move to a bigger club to win things, and I'm sure nearly everyone wouldn't begrudge the player for doing so. Its just such a shame that since the big owners have come into the Premier League the problems within a club and the main reason for people wanting to leave is almost solely on a bigger wage. Chelsea was first, and then Man City, with their ridiculous wage and transfer maximums. I think its sent a rippling effect throughout the league and unsettled some players that some 10 years ago you wouldn't have dreamed on moving. Take Joleon Lescott, or Gareth Barry, for example.

I know its a different age and money is bound to shape things. I think its maybe more that I'm pissed off that a players loyalty to a club will die with the likes of Giggs, Terry, Scholes etc., yet I'm sure in the future we'll see more badge kissing while handing in a transfer request the following season.

Str8 Pimpin'

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

From what I understand, Liverpool/Arsenal/United were offering better wages than the rest of the league prior to Chelsea/City. There will always be one club with more money, so there will always be players leaving clubs to go to "the wages club" - it just so happens we are no longer "the wages club". There was never a cap in the early days on wages, there would always be a club willing to pay everyone more if they got them together, there will always be that so long as there is no cap. Pretty obvious, really.

Having said that, if the Glazers ever do bother to sell the club, and if the debts are removed, we'll be right up there again.

The only thing City haven't quite (appeared to) get hold of at the moment is that if they want to be in the CL, they have to work towards reducing their debt - ie, their wages will not be allowed to be above their income. At the moment they are well above their income and I'm unsure as to how they will change that without scrapping a lot of their big-name players. Especially if Rooney goes there on a £300,000 pw salary like is being said. I just don't know how they expect to do this.

Articles

FFXIV Character

The reason they were able to offer bigger wages was because they were doing better than the other teams in the league. They to an extent earned their purchasing power. Going to join a team like that was always acceptable because they were always in contention to win things. City & Chelsea were top half table teams who started offering ridiculous wages and many players jumped on the bandwagon, including many players who took a step backwards to join them. This could more than likely prove to be Rooneys case.

Str8 Pimpin'

If he goes to Citeh i WILL hunt him down & slap him with one of his aging prostitutes.