Page 1 of 27 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010/2011 UK Football Season Thread

Default EPL Season 2010/2011 Thread

Now that the annoying international competition is out of the way, (at least until the Euro 2012 qualifiers start, where Ireland yet again won't qualify) the greatest football around starts soon. CLUB FOOTBALL. Why is it so great? Unlike international football where you can only play together with others by an accident of birth, in club football you truly can get the greatest players in the world playing alongside each other. They also play together more often which means in club football, you see the best football can offer.

In that capacity you must decide which LEAGUE is the best. There are a few decent leagues with decent teams, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, France, Portugal, Russia & England. Of that group probably 3 are the best (England, Italy & Spain) with maybe France, Russia & Portugal popping in now & then for sandwiches.

Of that top three you have the eternally corrupt Italian league which champions of League & Europe (Internazionale) consist of.....NO Italians in their team. Then you have Spain, a good league no doubt, but a league where you eternally have 20 teams in the Primera División of La Liga all playing the exact same way with varying degrees of success pending on the skill levels therein. Decent games show up but inevitably you're left with the same thought...I knew they'd win.

Last is the EPL, the English Premier League. The King, the daddy, the unrivalled. Nowhere else in the world do you see the excitement, the drive, the fouls, the spite & envy, the 5pm kick offs in Bolton in winter, the Andy Gray Final Thought, the Match of the Day theme tune, the Fergie Time, the Scouser Whine, the Chelski's, the Gooners, the Hammers, the Yids, The Bitter Blues of Liverpool AND Manchester, Mancini's scarves, Roy Hodgeson's inability to say 'R', Wenger moaning, Spurs fans unrealistic ambitions, Newcastle barcodes, Liver Birds, Red Devils, The Kop, The Stretford End, The Gladys Street End, The Council House, The Birmingham Yo-Yo Clubs, a trip to Blackpool, a trip to the Cottage. We have been blessed people. We have been blessed with the greatest sport in the world played in the greatest league competition in the world. Liverpool fans can look away but on top of that. We have the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, the utopia of club football. The greatest Club competition on the planet and I cannot wait. August 15th people. Set your alarms.

Why set a post up now? Why it's the Transfer Season Of Course!!!!! Out with the chaff, in with the new. Who are we getting? Who are we losing???

It starts here.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I bet La Liga doesn't have a Stoke City in it at least.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I liked the title of last seasons thread.
    And I like international football.

Blog Entries

Get that dreadful 'EPL' stain off the thread title and we'll talk. Don't make me start my very own Championship/Swansea City thread which will comprise of myself stringing so many posts together it will look like a blog.

there was a picture here

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

With the World Cup over and pre-season games about to begin, I think now is as good a time as any to start the 2010/2011 season thread.

So, who's gonna win what this season? Think City will be spending big on a massive amount more players than they already have? Who should that club buy, who should that club sell? Yadda yadd yadda. What do you think will happen with the Premier League (or Swansea) this season?

<hr />Oh, you guys already started a thread but with an atrocious abomination of "EPL Season" in it. Oops. Oh well, I'll just merge them and use the proper name for the thread.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Maybe put up a poll asking who will win the league - Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool/Man City/Spurs/Blackpool/Other (OK so only two of those have a chance...).

Who will win the league? Chelsea
    How much money will Arsenal get for Fabregas? About £35 million
    How many players will Arsenal buy with the money? None
    How will Arsenal do this year? 3rd/4th, we're in permanent stasis!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

I can't wait for the season to start. As for which are the best leagues, I've got a real soft spot for the Championship here in England. As a Wolves fan I've had to spend too long desperately hoping for promotion to the Premier League, and winning the playoffs a few years ago felt loads better than actually winning the league in 08/09. I'm a huge fan of the playoffs for the excitement and depression of getting so close to the 'promised land'.

Needless to say I pray to God we never have to play in that league again. Come on Wolves!
    Currently playing: FFII (PSOne) & FFXIII (PS3) whilst his girlfriend fumbles through FFIV

'The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed...'

PSN ID: gooseisahero
    Add Me!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

ROY HODGSON

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Damn you lot for getting a manager that I respect. It won't be nearly as easy making fun of Liverpool (and feeling the rivalry with Liverpool) without Rafa.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Damn you lot for getting a manager that I respect. It won't be nearly as easy making fun of Liverpool (and feeling the rivalry with Liverpool) without Rafa.
    I'll still get the warm 'Liverpool loss' feeling I get when Liverpool lose to Arsenal on their first game though.

Personally, I find the EPL a bit overrated. I'll be cheering for Man City but I'm going to be watching a bunch of other leagues, and my teams for them as follows so far are:

Russian: CSKA Moscow
    Netherlands: Ajax
    Italian: Inter
    Spanish: Valencia

All I plan on so far. I'll also be watching some J. League and other underrated leagues too. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage- View Post
    Personally, I find the EPL a bit overrated. I'll be cheering for Man City but I'm going to be watching a bunch of other leagues, and my teams for them as follows so far are:

Russian: CSKA Moscow
    Netherlands: Ajax
    Italian: Inter
    Spanish: Valencia

All I plan on so far. I'll also be watching some J. League and other underrated leagues too. :P
    A card carrying, stereotypical, pantie waving gloryhunter.

United's new kit's released, looks pretty decent.

New home kit unveiled - Manchester United Official Web Site

WADDAYATHINK

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

'salright, but then most kits are these days. Despite everyone not liking it at the start of last season, I for one miss the lack of black 'V' already, I gotta say.

NO! BAD LOONEYBOBBERT! That chevron was a rank of failure. It had to change.