Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation Network versus original disc?

Default PlayStation Network versus original disc?

Do FF7, 8, and 9 look/play any different on PSP compared to on the PS1? Cus I need an excuse to play these games again.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would say just having a portable version of VII-IX is reason enough, these are great games and you are getting the added bonus of taking it on the road with you. What is not awesome about that?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Because it's a smaller screen, they'll look better than they did on the PSOne, but it's not really because of any emulation upscaling or anything.

At $10 a pop, they're totally worth having. You can play them at home on your PS3, then take the same save file with you on the go with your PSP. That's actually a moment I waited for in gaming and here it is! With some of the best games of all time! Enjoy!

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I think you guys are underselling it a bit. FF7 and FF9 look AMAZING on the PSP. Particularly the pre-rendered backgrounds. Having a scene drawn to fit on a regular TV and then compressed to the PSP screen makes it look so sharp.

I recommend setting the PSP to stretch the screen to fit. Takes a bit to acclimatize to the distortion, but having the screen full looks so much better.

(I didn't mention FF8 because I didn't get it, but I don't doubt it looks great too)
    Last edited by VeloZer0; 07-13-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    I think you guys are underselling it a bit. FF7 and FF9 look AMAZING on the PSP. Particularly the pre-rendered backgrounds. Having a scene drawn to fit on a regular TV and then compressed to the PSP screen makes it look so sharp.

I recommend setting the PSP to stretch the screen to fit. Takes a bit to acclimatize to the distortion, but having the screen full looks so much better.

(I didn't mention FF8 because I didn't get it, but I don't about it looks great too)
    Okay, it is pretty great. I would also recommend the stretch/full screen option because you won't kill your eyes as much, but you also get to take advantage of your full screen. (I just checked and it is "full screen" that i use) It will be weird at first because the stretching seems awkward, but after a few minutes you get used to it and the next time you turn on your PSP to play it, you'll never want to go back.

Articles

But if you picked up FFIX and put it on your PSP, I can travel with you wherever you go Kupo! :mog:

Blog Entries

The only negative with playing these games on the PSP is that L2 and R2 will have to be set to some sort of weird combination of buttons. It's not a huge problem though, because FF7-9 make very little use of these buttons.

I'm just nitpicking! FF7-9 on PSP is awesome.

the controls arent bad if you set directional movement to the nub, playing FFVII with analog movement is so much nicer... this also sets the sub shoulder buttons to the DPad making left and right L2&R2 respectivly with up or down being L2+R2... i got used to it pretty quickly...

Contributions

What did L2 and R2 do in FF7? I can't remember missing them even once.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Weren't they used in chocobo racing? Can't remember.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Im playing FFIX on the PSP now and it looks really good. It's almost as if it were designed specifically for the PSP - it works so well on it.

"They said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come around a common purpose. But on this January night, at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do." - Barack Obama.
    clicky clicky clicky

Bob is right they were used in the Chocobo Races as a kind of soft cheat... R1&2 slow the drain of the stemina meter, i forgot what L1&2 do but i hardly ever used 'em enough to really remember, i relied on the Rs during the races on PSone...

Articles
    Blog Entries

Also, save states! If you hit the Home/Playstation button, you can "pause game" to save wherever you're at. Really comes in handy for RPG's on the go. Only problem is you can only have one save state, and it gets erased if you make another one, whether its for the same game or even a different one.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Also, save states! If you hit the Home/Playstation button, you can "pause game" to save wherever you're at. Really comes in handy for RPG's on the go. Only problem is you can only have one save state, and it gets erased if you make another one, whether its for the same game or even a different one.
    I didn't know that. I usually have it sleep, but that does drain the power fairly intensively.

Bob is right they were used in the Chocobo Races as a kind of soft cheat... R1&2 slow the drain of the stemina meter
    Ah, I always played the PC version which didn't have that.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

The portability is enough to make it worthwhile! Another incentive is that no matter how well you take care of those discs, they're not going to last for much longer.