Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What game series do you think needs better writing

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Nah Necron made plenty sense. (SPOILER)He represented life, existence itself. After Kuja destroyed the crystal and tried to take everyone's life along with his, Necron emerged to remove the universe out of existence. Destroying the crystal is what summoned him. Zidane saw him as an extension of Kuja's anger and fear. Kuja attempted to wipe everyone out from existence and hear comes this god-like being of the universe to end all their lives. Vivi had questioned his own existence and this Necron proved to him that he very well exists and to take arms up against the being who wished for it to end for him, his brothers, and his friends.

When the party defeated him it proved the power of hope, love, and the will to live is the more sturdier than a 30ft thick titanium wall.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 07-15-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Blog Entries

All fighting games. I grow tired of the clichéd stories that always come up in fighting games. I'd really like some in-depth, character-exploring cutscenes to link the individual fights in a Story Mode together. The Bouncer had something of the right idea going, in my mind, but that was more of a beat 'em up, action fighter than a straight-forward fighting game. Later installments of Soul Calibur are doing it a bit too, with the world map view and your character roaming around it. It could use a bit more than a few lines of text to link the previous fight to the next though.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    The Metal Gear Solid games.

Okay, so MGS1 and Snake Eater were damn fine examples of how to write self-contained stories that also lend themselves well to the overall continuity. Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots, however, were examples of how too much retconning, deus ex machinas and overzealous plot decisions can make a story exhausting. I haven't played anything other than 1-4, and I love the overarching story, but the way the deceptions and plot twists and all that stack up by the time I finished MGS4, I was wishing Kojima would just tone it down a lot.
    Actually... MGS1 and 3 did far more retconning than 2 and 4. MGS1 rewrote a lot of MG and especially MG2, while MGS3 rewrote most of what was established about Big Boss in the first three Metal Gear titles. Hell any game that stars Big Boss pretty much retcons the timeline.

Beyond that, I will agree that MGS2 took the series into a weird direction by being a bloated conspiracy theory with an Evangelion inspired finale but to be fair to MGS4, it was a title trying to tie all the pieces together and it had to drop into some weird territory to connect the titles and bring a conclusion to Solid Snake's story. Its not really as bad as MGS2 was, even if 4 did have a lot of questionable story elements. I'm just surprised it was all worked together into something coherent, I was worried it was going to drop into a VR "it was all just a dream" cop out ending so what transpired really did work out for the best imho.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Nah Necron made plenty sense. (SPOILER)He represented life, existence itself. After Kuja destroyed the crystal and tried to take everyone's life along with his, Necron emerged to remove the universe out of existence. Destroying the crystal is what summoned him. Zidane saw him as an extension of Kuja's anger and fear. Kuja attempted to wipe everyone out from existence and hear comes this god-like being of the universe to end all their lives. Vivi had questioned his own existence and this Necron proved to him that he very well exists and to take arms up against the being who wished for it to end for him, his brothers, and his friends.

When the party defeated him it proved the power of hope, love, and the will to live is the more sturdier than a 30ft thick titanium wall.
    Well they shoudlve said that in the game

So i guess it was bad writing
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post

No, bad writing is explaining why something is symbolic, which is exactly what Necron was.

The big FF IX story flaw was that most characters started to lack importance less then half way through the game, and seemed more like tag-alongs, albeit highly interesting and entertaining Tag-alongs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

No, bad writing is explaining why something is symbolic, which is exactly what Necron was.

The big FF IX story flaw was that most characters started to lack importance less then half way through the game, and seemed more like tag-alongs, albeit highly interesting and entertaining Tag-alongs.
    Im all for Subtlety and symbolism but symbols shouldnt come up completely at random without any explanation of why theyre there besides *I AM AGAINST EXISTANCE, NOW I SHALL DESTROY YOU*!! It was a ridiculus change from the rest of the game.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Right now, Final Fantasy..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post

Im all for Subtlety and symbolism but symbols shouldnt come up completely at random without any explanation of why theyre there besides *I AM AGAINST EXISTANCE, NOW I SHALL DESTROY YOU*!! It was a ridiculus change from the rest of the game.
    It didnt' change the tone at all. The entirety of the struggle against Kuja and Garland is a fight to prove the validity of their existence, as it were. When Kuja destroys the crystal, Necron comes as at he embodiement of all that they have been fighting since the very beginning, the very will to see the end of them.

I'm really wondering what you think the actual tone of the game was now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think you are missing blackmage_nuke's point NeoCracker. Its not about symbolism and change of tone as much as it was the fact the final boss is a literal 11th hour villain. At least CoD and Zemus had a bit of villain time instead before the big final battle. The fact the Ultimania is required to even understand why the guy is there is pretty bad as well in terms of writing.

Except you don't need the Ultimania to understand why he's there, you just need to read his dialogue.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Why he's in the game

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoeberto View Post
    The Metal Gear Solid games.

Okay, so MGS1 and Snake Eater were damn fine examples of how to write self-contained stories that also lend themselves well to the overall continuity. Sons of Liberty and Guns of the Patriots, however, were examples of how too much retconning, deus ex machinas and overzealous plot decisions can make a story exhausting. I haven't played anything other than 1-4, and I love the overarching story, but the way the deceptions and plot twists and all that stack up by the time I finished MGS4, I was wishing Kojima would just tone it down a lot.
    Actually... MGS1 and 3 did far more retconning than 2 and 4. MGS1 rewrote a lot of MG and especially MG2, while MGS3 rewrote most of what was established about Big Boss in the first three Metal Gear titles. Hell any game that stars Big Boss pretty much retcons the timeline.

Beyond that, I will agree that MGS2 took the series into a weird direction by being a bloated conspiracy theory with an Evangelion inspired finale but to be fair to MGS4, it was a title trying to tie all the pieces together and it had to drop into some weird territory to connect the titles and bring a conclusion to Solid Snake's story. Its not really as bad as MGS2 was, even if 4 did have a lot of questionable story elements. I'm just surprised it was all worked together into something coherent, I was worried it was going to drop into a VR "it was all just a dream" cop out ending so what transpired really did work out for the best imho.
    Haha, good point. I'm glad it didn't degrade into that, either. Mostly I thought it was silly (SPOILER)having Big Boss still be alive but aside from that, you are right. It did a pretty good job of tying it all together - I guess the long-winded nature was a result of the other games messing up the continuity a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Yue Kitsune View Post
    Pokemon, i love it but holly c@&$% it'd be nice if i had a better goal than just catching all the pokemon and beating the champion. how about some convoluted conspiracy by a government agency (or a government of any kind for that matter, lol), or a war about to break out between two of the towns.
    The Gamecube games were definitely the best written of the Pokemon series. They cut out a lot of stuff (gyms, HMs, random battles), but what was left was surprisingly well done. I still wish Nintendo would make another game continuing the saga of the Shadow Pokemon.

Most recent Square-Enix games. Their writing has just gotten terrible lately. I mean, heck, even their games that I've loved, like FFTA2, suffer from some serious writing problems.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Final Fantasy? My God have none of you played a Star Ocean game? I just finished one not too long ago and it was really terrible. The battles were pretty fun, but the writing...just...ugh. I thought maybe it was the black sheep of the series and took at look at the others, but no, they're all pretty terrible. If we're talking about giving a series better writing let's give it to the ones that really really need it. Not the ones that are pretty good but not perfect

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's just a Tri-Ace thing, almost all of their games have pretty awful writing and it doesn't help their VA work is pretty bad too...