Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copyright and Movie links shut down

Unhappy Copyright and Movie links shut down

The other day i was bored and thought what shall i do walk the dog...no....get some food... no, then thought hey I'll watch a film on movie-links only to see that it had been turned into a forum talking about movies D: .

Then i thought why would they turn a site that had basically every film known to man into a forum i looked into it and bastards in the UK had shut it down for copyright and arrested the creator of the site...im quite embarrassed to be from the UK. Movie links didn't actually have the films on their site just linked you to a place you could view them.

Do you agree that all sites like movie links should be shut down for copyright and they are going over the top at sorting out the problem. Or do you think that copyright is wrong and is destroying the industry and film stars should be paid at least £20 million for each film they are in ?

TVLinks Shut Down, Owner Arrested!

Blog Entries

You were still watching films and television series without paying for them and the website provided you with a means to do so. I guess the decision to shut them down is justified by that reasoning.

But then again, if they make this a precedent - torrent clients would be in the wrong too.

Then there'd be no point in using the internet.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

That's kind of like arresting a gunsmith because the person who purchased the gun committed crimes with it.

When the film and television industry start making films and television shows that justify the outrageous prices that they charge for dvds, movie tickets, etc. then I will maybe look into purchasing said services.

Until then, I see absolutely no problem with viewing movies for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    That's kind of like arresting a gunsmith because the person who purchased the gun committed crimes with it.
    Seems more like arresting someone who never sold stolen goods, but set up a way for a deal to go down. An accessory to a crime, as it were, which I believe is still illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    When the film and television industry start making films and television shows that justify the outrageous prices that they charge for dvds, movie tickets, etc. then I will maybe look into purchasing said services.

Until then, I see absolutely no problem with viewing movies for free.
    Because the best way to convince a producer to lower the price of their goods is buy lowering the ROI for said producer. That totally works.

I see no problem with this ruling. If you want to see something enough see it in theaters. Don't wanna pay that much? Rent it when it comes to DVD. Still not low enough? Wait for Redbox or Netflix to get it. If that's not low enough for you I doubt you wanna see the film that much.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

Banned

It's more like arresting someone who's selling prescription drugs under the table to junkies who don't have a prescription for them.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    It's more like arresting someone who's selling prescription drugs under the table to junkies who don't have a prescription for them.
    No, cause no sale is going on.

the "setting up a deal" example further up is the best so far.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

It's still up. They've turned into a movie "review" site now instead of providing links. But who cares there's a bunch of other good movie sites. They'll never run out.

Because the best way to convince a producer to lower the price of their goods is buy lowering the ROI for said producer. That totally works.
    I realize it is counterproductive, but Hollywood has been making terrible moves since long before piracy was a big deal so it obviously isn't effected that much by it. Perhaps more so than in the 90s. Regardless, I have a hard time justifying spending 10$ on a movie ticket, 20$ on a DVD, or 50$+ on a boxed set for a television show when I cannot be sure of the quality (I rarely read what critics have to say) and whether or not the DVD will be "obsolete" in a relatively short amount of time. Ontop of that, CDs/DVDs are perhaps the worst possible way to store media due to how fragile they are.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rase View Post
    You'd rather people support the making of good movies by paying to see bad ones? That makes even less sense.

Frankly, I don't think piracy is nearly as big a deal as the movie companies would like us to think. I've rarely known anyone who pirated something that they were willing to pay to see (unless they actually paid to see it first). Film companies complaining about piracy doesn't really amount to much more than an excuse to raise prices, which is the first thing they should look at if they want to know why fewer people are going to the movies. Movies for two people plus any food at said movies can cost upwards of $50 a pop these days.

There's a good reason that I generally wait until Tuesday's when tickets are half price at my theater and bring any snacks I may want with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny
    Regardless, I have a hard time justifying spending 10$ on a movie ticket, 20$ on a DVD, or 50$+ on a boxed set for a television show when I cannot be sure of the quality (I rarely read what critics have to say)
    Hollywood and game companies have always made crap along with all of the greats. I can understand not being able to justify paying that much for a movie if it isn't absolutely awesome, but if you don't at least keep up with what's out there and what's supposed to be good then you kind of forfeit the right to complain about Hollywood making nothing but crap if you ask me. There are still great movies coming out all the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Ontop of that, CDs/DVDs are perhaps the worst possible way to store media due to how fragile they are.
    I have never had a CD or DVD of mine break in my life and theyre the only electronic data storage item I can think of that doesnt get screwed up by getting too close to magnets.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

They don't have to break, they just have to get scratched in the wrong spot and then they skip an unbearable amount.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

We are moving into a new era of media production and distribution, and companies need to deal with that. Whether this is morally defensible or not doesn't matter - the world has changed, and we all know stuff like this is pissing in the wind.

Companies need to adapt to this. They can't fight it. And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Blog Entries

By break I meant incur any type of damage that makes it unusable including scratches. Ive had visible scratches on cds that had no effect on the data. Then again I keep all my discs in a case/holder and always hold it by the hole/edges and never by the surface
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't see the point in downloading movies on the internet. It takes too much time. I rather just spend a dollar or two to rent it and then watch it within seconds. With that said, even if they close down these pirating sites, there will still be bootleggers who go in to the theaters with their cameras and then sell the movie they just captured to people for cheaper than theater prices. Piracy is inevitable.