Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Avengers (Marvel)

Misspelled for No Reason. GhandiOwnsYou's Avatar

All in all, very worthwhile. It's rather typical summer blockbuster fair, but that was kind of a given. I will say, Square deserves royalties for those giganto monsters in the climax. When those things showed up and started spewing minions off of themselves I immediately thought they a bit too similar to Sin from FFX. Also, The Hulk wins at everything.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I kept thinking of R-Type with those creatures for some reason.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I loved the Avengers! I went to the movie theatre to see the Raven with my GF (but we were the only two and the projector for the avengers in another area exploded so they moved it to where they were going to show us the Raven and they let us see the Avengers for free), but I'm very glad I got to see the Avengers. The whole movie was awesome and I don't remember a part of the movie where I was disappointed.

Mark Rufallo for The Hulk 2013!!!!!!!

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Saw it. I liked it, and found myself enjoying the movie. It's not this "HOLY ****" movie some people are saying it is, but I say it was still a fun ride.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought it was smurfing awesome. Everyone in the main cast did a spectacular job in their roles. I normally prefer Iron Man over all the others, but the Hulk managed to shift my loyalties a bit in this movie.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Joss Whedon can do no wrong. I was pretty cheesed about Edward Norton being replaced with Mark Ruffalo, but I take it back.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

When Whedon is on his game he is spot on. You could tell the whole movie was laced with his humor and seeing as I love his humor, it was perfect. The Hulk scenes were funny the last lulzy one my theater actually burst out in laughter and applause. Really good stuff. I was worried how they'd handle all the heros but they did a damn good job. Money well spent.

Apparently there was a second scene after the credits for american audiences only. But It was only them sitting around eating after the battle with no dialogue. So meh, nothing worth really anything special for the other countries to have missed

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think everyone's theatre laughed at that scene I know I did. I did wish though that Cap did more shield ricocheting. I don't think there was a single one as a matter of fact. Yeah I saw him throw it a couple of times, but it never bounced off anything and hit anyone.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This movie is great, on par with the upper tier of comic book movies. Whedon did a great job with a pretty difficult task of putting all these main characters together and trying to make a movie that tells a good story featuring all of them. After the credits I'm pretty psyched for the eventual Avengers 2. (SPOILER)Thanos!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Going to see it a second time. I was never an Avenger comic book reader, but I've loved almost all the movie connected with the Avengers. Awesome flick! I wish they had executed the X-Films (non including First Class) to be as good as the Avengers. Also looking forward to the Batman, Spidey, Avengers movie box office gross wars to come later in the summer. My bet is on Avengers, but we all know Nolan can pack quite a punch.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I feel absurdly, ridiculously happy for Joss Whedon right now. I've been a fan of his for 15 years! I mean jesus christ, that's a long time. And I feel like this is it, this is the moment when he goes from being just a decently established writer/director and an obvious cult favorite to being a household name. This movie is going to do for Joss what the Batman movies did for Christopher Nolan. After this, he's going to be able to pretty much do any project he wants. And I'm SO happy for him.

I didn't love The Avengers as much as other super hero movies, and didn't think it was OMFG amazing. But then again, few of the other super hero movies were as difficult to do or have as many possibilities for failure. The Avengers could have been massively bad. I mean, it could have easily been like a Fantastic Four movie. And just structurally, how difficult it is to get all the characters and plot points in place and do it cohesively and with meaning. Really tricky stuff and Joss pulled it off wonderfully. Lots of little Joss touches I noticed throughout the movie that I'm pretty sure wouldn't have existed with any other director. I also thought Ruffalo did a great job as Hulk, who I normally really could not give a crap about.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Apparently there was a second scene after the credits for american audiences only. But It was only them sitting around eating after the battle with no dialogue. So meh, nothing worth really anything special for the other countries to have missed
    I LOVED the scene, it totally cracked me up! Second only to the Hulk smash moments. But I love shawarma so...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I feel absurdly, ridiculously happy for Joss Whedon right now. I've been a fan of his for 15 years! I mean jesus christ, that's a long time. And I feel like this is it, this is the moment when he goes from being just a decently established writer/director and an obvious cult favorite to being a household name. This movie is going to do for Joss what the Batman movies did for Christopher Nolan. After this, he's going to be able to pretty much do any project he wants. And I'm SO happy for him.
    I have to agree with this general sentiment. I've loved Joss' work since Buffy and not only was this probably my favourite Marvel movie so far (though it doesn't stand on it's own. It wouldn't work at all without the other movies setting it up), but knowing it's already more than halfway to a billion dollars is pretty awesome. Not many writers/directors really deserve that kind of success, but for how long Joss has kind of toiled away with an (admittedly large) cult following, he deserves some more mainstream success. Hopefully this does let him do just about anything he wants. As long as one of them is Avengers 2 anyway. I don't think I'd trust anyone else to pull it off even if he did just tackle the hardest one to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I LOVED the scene, it totally cracked me up! Second only to the Hulk smash moments. But I love shawarma so...
    The Hulk smash bits were some of my favourites, and I have to agree; I loved that scene at the end of the credits. They deserved a break.

Also, since I'm sure some non-comic book fans won't get it, (SPOILER)Thanos!

That is all.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shlup View Post
    Joss Whedon can do no wrong. I was pretty cheesed about Edward Norton being replaced with Mark Ruffalo, but I take it back.
    This & I liked the way Joss Whedon replaced all the normally pointless dialogue you get in super hero movies with whitty banter. Also Joss Whedon made Chris Evans interesting as Captain America

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I was torn between Stark's comments and Hulk's actions as far as which was the most entertaining!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Black Panther and Ms. Marvel for Avengers 2.