Thread: The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)

Default The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)

I just saw the original version of The Day The Earth Stood Still and my god, it's so much better than that crap remake from two years ago. The Keanu Reeves remake is such an overblown special effects romp, that it's not even funny. They didn't even try to put epithesis on story and character development. The remake director was all like, "Well, I can't tell a great story but what I can do is create the special effects that they couldn't create back in 1951."

Well, whoopty smurfing do! Great special effects do not a great movie make!!! You CGI whore directors need to learn that someday. I'm looking at you George Lucas. Anyway I know this rant is coming a couple of years late but I couldn't track down and watch a copy of The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951) until today. I guess the only postitive thing I could mention about the 2008 remake is, I like how emotionless Keanu Reeves' face was in that movie. The emotionless look on his face proves that he could be an older Batman someday. Not this younger Batman who gets tricked into going to the wrong warehouse by the Joker.
    Last edited by The Fat Bioware Nerd; 07-20-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Oh i've seen the remake, haven't seen the orginal. I didn't like it and hated the ending

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHeart View Post
    Oh i've seen the remake, haven't seen the orginal. I didn't like it and hated the ending
    You should track down a copy of the original so you can compare and contrast.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah the original is a classic. The remake is watchable, but not exactly good film.

Also I like how their solution to our environmental damage is to cause much much more environmental damage

I've only seen the remake on a plane, so I didn't really pay that much attention. As far as I remember it was not good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Yeah the original is a classic. The remake is watchable, but not exactly good film.
    The remake is about as watchable, as Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are.

Blog Entries

Don't care what you haters say. I saw it twice when it was running, and I have even bought the DVD. Love the remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Don't care what you haters say. I saw it twice when it was running, and I have even bought the DVD. Love the remake.
    That's because you haven't seen the original. The original movie is always superior. The original Walking Tall is probably superior to that 2004 film with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. The original version of The Longest Yard is probably superior to that Adam Sandler remake.

And the original Planet of the Apes is definitely superior to that crap Tim Burton film.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gothamite10092 View Post
    And the original Planet of the Apes is definitely superior to that crap Tim Burton film.
    ...the one with Mark Wahlberg? Loved it. Do however agree with you on all of the rest. Pay no attention to me, as I also enjoyed "The Happening".

I dunno. I guess I just love those humongous special effects, however bloated the movie may become.

[QUOTE=Chris;2887094]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothamite10092 View Post
    ...the one with Mark Wahlberg? Loved it.
    You're weird. Weirdo.

Haven't seen the remake but I would like to at some point. Keanu Reeves gets such a bad rap for his acting but I still find him watchable. I saw the original back when I was a kid and remember not being so kind to it but I was never able to appreciate the oldies back then. Might give it a watch now if I get the chance.