Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Curiosity about Irvine

Default Curiosity about Irvine

We know Squall knows Zell, Seifer and Quistis at the beggining of the game.
    They know Selphie“s name because she told them.
    They know Rinoa“s name because she told Squall and he told the others.

But no one told their names to Irvine.
    And I don“t think he have access to their contract paper.Only Squall had.
    Yet he knows their names right on their train.

This is another indication that Irvine remembers them from the orphanage.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

I thought it was already well known that he remembered them from the orphanage, how is this new information?

He could see everyone's names on the menu screen when he was choosing the parties before leaving G-Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I thought it was already well known that he remembered them from the orphanage, how is this new information?
    This

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHeart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    This
    The point is... he knew them right away when they first met. Otherwise, he would of have asked for thier names, or them telling him thier names.
    Last edited by Serapy; 07-21-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Everyone says that there a no hints to the orphanage scene, but there are - so this could be one of them.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Even if he didn't remember any of the names, surely he would have been told about his teammates before his mission?

Blog Entries

Yes couldve been some kind of briefing. Its an interesting hint to the fact that he knows them all but i wouldnt call it a 'curiosity' as theres nothing to ponder.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Or he just greets everybody with those names in hopes that he meets his long lost buddies.

Yeah he didn't use GF before hand so all his memories are intact, which is why he didn't want to shoot poor old edea :) But he might of been told their names when he was decideing on the party

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Everyone says that there a no hints to the orphanage scene, but there are - so this could be one of them.
    This is such an irrelevant hint that it doesn't hit you until long after that fact, usually one or two playthrough's later.

A good plot twist needs progression, you should be confused as hell at some point before the twist, not after it. The Metal Gear Solid Series pretty clearly shows how to make excellent plot twists that aren't lame or ill-contrived like the orphanage twist is. Plot twists in MGS help shape where the plot is headed and make sense of previously confusing situations such as Metal Gear Solid 1you being the carrier of the FoxDie Virus, which triggered heart attacks in both the DARPA Chief and ArmsTech president. That twist takes past events, two completely unrelated, confusing heart attacks, and connects them, REMOVING holes from the plot and making the game MAKE SENSE. The Orphanage twist is a bad attempt at giving each character backstory, instead of, you know, actually giving them backstory.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    This is such an irrelevant hint that it doesn't hit you until long after that fact, usually one or two playthrough's later.

A good plot twist needs progression, you should be confused as hell at some point before the twist, not after it. The Metal Gear Solid Series pretty clearly shows how to make excellent plot twists that aren't lame or ill-contrived like the orphanage twist is. Plot twists in MGS help shape where the plot is headed and make sense of previously confusing situations such as Metal Gear Solid 1you being the carrier of the FoxDie Virus, which triggered heart attacks in both the DARPA Chief and ArmsTech president. That twist takes past events, two completely unrelated, confusing heart attacks, and connects them, REMOVING holes from the plot and making the game MAKE SENSE. The Orphanage twist is a bad attempt at giving each character backstory, instead of, you know, actually giving them backstory.
    That's the whole point Goldenboko! It would have been too easy to say, have the characters say things like "Oh, wait have I seen you before?/No, I don't think so..." and then at the orphanage "Wow! so i really DID see you before!", but FFVIII didn't, they did something far more clever.

They designed foreshadowing so subtle you don't even know it is forehsadowing, until you've completed the game, then you replay the game and you see it "Oh, so THAT'S why Irvine wouldn't shoot Edea!" "Oh, so THAT'S how Squall knew Edea's name", "Oh so THAT'S how Irvive, could second guess Selphie's reactions". It is a brilliant form of foreshadowing because it looks weird when you first play it, but makes perfect sense when you see it again - it is exactly like Cloud's flashback in FFVII when you first see Cloud's version, you except it as reality, but when you see the truth you put all the pieces together, and on your next playtrhough it's basically "Ok, that didn't happen, that didn't happen, that DID happen, that SORT OF HAPPENED".

Also, no offence, but your MGS example further helps prove my point. I'm sure when you first play this game, you are meant to beleive that those are just run-of-the-mill heart attacks, that just happend to kill these guys, right? When I saw the orphanage scene, so many things I had wondered about the FFVIII world made perfect sense.

If Irvine was introduced beforehand the game would hint about it.It doesn“t.

Now to the real purpose of this thread:

There is something really fishy about this situation.
    Let“s see if you can guess it.

What happens on the train to Deling City that don“t makes sense?
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Blog Entries

You might as well just tell us

Was it something to do with how he chose the parties?
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Why dun you just compile and summarize all your theories into one thread instead?

This way people will get a clearer picture of what is happening.