Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Final Fantasy game announced in Japan

Default New Final Fantasy game announced in Japan

Info
    New Final Fantasy For Mobile Platforms - Wireless News at IGN

Pics
    IGN: Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Dark Screenshots, Wallpapers and Pics

Square Enix is going totally retro for its next mobile Final Fantasy game. One look at the visuals for Final Fantasy Legends, and you'll probably be reminded of a classic Super NES Final Fantasy game.

There's good reason for this. Legends is being developed by the makers of Final Fantasy IV: The After. Gamers in America will presumably remember The After as a Wii Ware game, but in Japan it originated as a cell phone title.

Fully titled Final Fantasy Legends: Warriors of Light and Darkness, Legends is a completely original title from the FFIV The After team. It's being made in the vein of a classic FF game, with 2D sprite visuals, a story centered on basic FF series concepts like crystals and light and darkness, and a job system for character growth.

Like FFIV The After, Legends will be an episodic release. The first prologue episode will be free, with subsequent episodes costing 315 yen to 525 yen.

Japan will get this original Final Fantasy game in September. For international audiences, perhaps Legends will follow the path of FFIV The After and be ported over to Wii Ware.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I am a million times more excited about this than FF14 or 15 or whatever the newest unreleased one is. I had been very excited for The 4 Warriors of Light, but this looks much more my style. I'm so glad that they finally realized there are fans out there who hate the new 3D styled games and long for the 16bit era FF to return. Yay!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Sounds cool, though the grind in FFIV: The After Years did get annoying. Hopefully they will make the battles in this game less frequent.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Sounds awesome.

This is the first original 2D retro FF we've had in a while.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

It won't come out here on anything I can play it on, anyway, so, not interested. Unless they announce PSN release in Europe.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It'll probably end up as WiiWare eventually, maybe I'll get it then!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Doesn't look too interesting. I mean, if the gameplay turns out to be better than in FF5, it might be worth a shot, but no one knows yet.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

More details about the game have been revealed.

The Warriors of Light and Dark title refers to the fact that the story focuses on two groups: the Warriors of Light and the Warriors of Darkness.

The official site for the game is also up. It confirms that the game will have a job system. Managing and levelling jobs for two teams seems rather tedious, though I'm hoping it'll be easier mastering jobs in this game than in FF5.

I have to say that this game is the closest thing we'll be seeing to an old school FF. Though I think that it's good enough for me, except for the whole potential buying all of the episodes issue.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I like the artwork

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I suppose it was only a matter of time before SE used a dutch word as a character name. But seriously, Nacht? That's plain and simply "Night" in dutch. How can I ever take this game serious should I ever play this when I'm playing as the night? XD

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Stopped reading at for mobile phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Stopped reading at for mobile phones.
    Japan will get this original Final Fantasy game in September. For international audiences, perhaps Legends will follow the path of FFIV The After and be ported over to Wii Ware.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

still won't be able to get it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was hoping they'd do a FNC title on the DS or PSP like this, but i guess this is better than nothing!

The FF Wiki reveals that defeating each episode will unlock a new job. The jobs are Freelancer (default), Warrior, Thief, Monk, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage, and Summoner.

I should hope that Freelancers are strong enough and don't need abilities from other jobs to be strong. Otherwise, going through your very first episode just to unlock one job only using Freelancers would really suck. Also, I hope each episode isn't that expensive. That would sure suck paying a lot of real money just to have all of the jobs available, when practically every Final Fantasy gives you all the jobs within the game without any additional cost.

Also, anyone think that one or more of the characters in this game will be in Dissidia Duodecim?