Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Whip???

I am intrigued. :greenie:
    Unsubstantiated conjecture so far, but interesting unsubstantiated conjecture!

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

So how many classes are you allowed to switch between? I was thinking that being a miner and blacksmith with some kind of combat skill would work well together. Obviously the more classes you have, the longer it will take to master them.

Also, would you need a red mage class with you are able to switch between Conjure and Gladiator.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You can probably switch between as many as you like, as long as you have a weapon for that class. It's just as you said, the more classes you take up the longer it will take to be proficient in all of them.

I'll probably try a few fighting classes at first but in the end settle on 1-2 of them, and also have a 1-2 crafting classes. I was never a big fan of crafting but it seems to have such an emphasis in this game that I've got to check it out.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

So wait, if it's determined by equipped weapon, can only Ninjas get subjobs? If not, then how will those be determined and switched? If so, won't EVERYBODY go Ninja? Maybe they're doing away with subjobs, but that would be dumb, that was a great mechanic.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

You can't think of it that way, in FFXI terms. As far as I know there is no support job mechanism, but if there is, I don't think the dual wield ability will be necessary to utilize it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Thaumaturge or Archer...

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    You can't think of it that way, in FFXI terms. As far as I know there is no support job mechanism, but if there is, I don't think the dual wield ability will be necessary to utilize it.
    I vaguely recall hearing something about a dual wielding function, but I don't know specifics. One's offhand does not determine one's job.

As far as I know, the only mechanic in the game similar to support jobs is that there's some mechanic for borrowing skills you've learned from other classes. In the Alpha this mechanic was completely unbalanced, and I know they meant to revise it, but I've not heard of whether it made it into the beta or was scrapped altogether to preserve balance.

The class system for this game is similar to the skill system of Guild Wars 2, where whatever weapon you hold determines the first five skills on your skill bar. (Out of 10, where the other 5 are of your choosing)

Either way, it's an interesting concept, and I'll be picking up the game (hopefully I can run it), and I'll have to try it out, though I'm still a little bit hazy on the change your class when your in "passive mode." I'll have to do some more research.

(To be honest, I haven't been keeping up on Final Fantasy XIV all that much. >_>)

I see myself building characters off focusing on two offensive classes and two others, probably one hand and one land.

Assuming the current official announcments only, I'll probably start as a Pugilist, Thaumaturge, Botanist, and Weaver. That, or Lancer, Thaumaturge, Miner, Goldsmith/Blacksmith.

Of course, if that Whip class ends up being legit, Lasher, Thamaturge, Fisher/Botanist, Leatherworker.

And if you can only grab so much from other classes, I'll grat Thamaturge buffs, as I find them more reliable the debilitating.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

If I am able to pick up this game in September I intend to be 100% Cullinarian the idea of fighting with a skillet is just to awesome to pass up. Once I get that maxed out I will probably go Conjurer.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Lancer and Conjurer!