Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sucker Punch

Some of us enjoy spending $10 at our local movie theaters to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_doll View Post
    Oh no you did NOT spirit! I outta Sucker Punch you.
    ME FEMALE.
    Yes, I guess I did...

DEAL WITH IT!

WHAT'S DONE IS WHAT'S DONE!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_doll View Post
    Some of us enjoy spending $10 at our local movie theaters to do so!
    Living in London makes it hard to find a $10 (approx £6.20) cinema ticket
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

EOFF don't see this movie.
    Please... Please, just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Man View Post
    EOFF don't see this movie.
    Please... Please, just don't.
    Why, not? What else do I have to do on a Friday night? My brother is going to a funeral tonight...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You can go with him or play some video games. Just don't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Man View Post
    You can go with him or play some video games. Just don't see this.
    Why so depressed over this movie? Or is it that the movie is too much fun for you? A funeral doesn't really sound like my second option, had I one.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I dunno, I thought the Latina girl who committed suicide in Avatar was kinda cool.
    You are referring to the character of Trudy Chacon portrayed by Michelle Rodriguez. Trudy did not commit suicide in Avatar, but her actress is known for portraying characters that are killed off towards the end of a movie. Why Does Michelle Rodriguez Always Die?
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Here's my very detailed reason for not wanting anyone to give this man money for this movie. Spoilers are marked.

Sucker Punch. When I first heard the title I was curious what the movie was about. I was even more curious about it when I saw the first trailer. That first trailer was abundant with beautiful visions and shots of emotion. After seeing the film I still don't have a clue why it's called Sucker Punch and any complex emotion I had from the trailers have dwindled. The movie starts with a scene similar to the opening of Watchmen. A silent scene expressing the situation of the main character. (SPOILER)Baby Doll (whose real name I can't remember if was mentioned at all) witnesses her father raping and murdering her younger sister. The police come and no one is really charged with anything then weirdly enough and after the funeral he takes Baby Doll to the Lennox House mental institution where he's paying the crooked guy who owns the place to give her a lobotomy so that she couldn't rat out to the police. The doctor known as the High Roller, who performs the lobotomy won't be there until 5 days. Baby Doll quickly learns that the place isn't really a mental institution, but a cover up for a burlesque house. There is little emotion at all in this. Emily is pretty quiet during this sequence which made it seem less real to me. Being in a situation like that I would expect her to be a bit more hostile. She had one angry moment there, but it came too late and felt a bit off, random? Next the movie goes into the imagined world (SPOILER) Baby Doll meets the starring girls in the film inside of what looks like a ballet room or dance studio I guess you might say. The man who's running this place keeps an older whore to keep watch over the girls and to teach them how to dance on stage. The woman's Russian accent sounds a bit corny I might say and I never felt that her performance was real. Well to begin she introduces Baby Doll to the girls and tells her to dance as its the only way to survive in here. She makes a monologue that doesn't make much sense to me given the situation and makes it sound like he was trying too hard to be cool or deep. It's the same monologue spoken in the trailer. Baby Doll listens this time and begins to dance. Well you never actually see her dance. The camera zooms in on her eyes as snowflakes start to fall and suddenly she's just in this different world.
    It feels completely random and this is where she meets the old man with the sword who tells her to collect the 5 items. When she walks out the temple the giant samurai just come out of nowhere. The battle was just ok, but it was hard for me to enjoy it while I was thinking "what the heck is actually going on here in the real world". When the battle ends everyone stands there clapping clearly impressed. I was confused. I was expecting to see dead bodies or something, but no everyone there is standing there in good health clapping.
    This is where the movie smurfs up. No, well actually it smurfed up before then. There was little emotion to the opening sequence and it didn't really feel like these people are in such a terrible situation and that I should feel sorry for them. This is consistent throughout the movie. The rest of the trippy world sequences feel almost as random as they did the first time and they don't make sense as to what's going on in the real world. I expected those sequences to be a representation of the girls defeating the guards in the asylum while they're gathering these items trying to escape, but for the most part that isn't true. The second sequence was the one that made the least since. (SPOILER) One of the girls is going into the main man's office to steal the map while Baby Doll distracts him by dancing. Baby Doll goes into the imaginary world right before she dances and she's briefed by the old man with all the girls even the one that's in the guy's office. They fight through a WWII battlefield filled with zombie nazis. The action here is the best one out of the three, but still didn't blow my mind as i was still thinking "what's going on here in the real world, I know she better not just be dancing again". At the end of this sequence she comes to the leader zombie nazi who has the map that the girl in the real world already has, but Baby Doll is fighting for it in this imaginary world. She kills the leader, but a henchman runs off with it. She chases him down while killing more nazi zombies and gets cornered. She throws up the map high into the air and the nazi zombies are about to shoot just when the Asian chick drops out the sky with the mech crushing them. Baby Doll hops on they take off. She catches the map and then it goes back to the real world. Yep, everyone was just standing around clapping once more. She was dancing the whole time and three of the other girls was just watching her. I felt cheated again. Whenever she finishes dancing the main man in charge weeps a tear and I'm really wondering what kind of dance is she doing to get such a reaction from this gangster. Shortly after this people started to leave and I felt that I should've too, but I felt that I had a duty to y'all to make sure the whole movie was crappy before I came here and said that movie was awful and that you shouldn't see it. There was also another scene that didn't make sense to me. (SPOILER) Baby Doll wrote a list on what items they needed to escape on a small chalkboard. I thought nothing of it as I expected it to be a one time thing, but when the girls are discovered trying to escape the main man reveals the chalkboard with the list written on it. The girls just turned it to the other side in plain sight. They didn't even erase the smurfing thing. I was like "really?" are y'all really that dumb?
    The movie continues to not impress and when a serious moment comes I don't feel bad when real people start to actually die or when something bad happens to one character. This just doesn't seem real and when the ending of the movie came, I felt that it was predictable. The ending also tries to throw you a suspense moment that hides a character's face from view when they actually show that person's face. I was like "What, was that it?" I was so disappointed by this. I had a feeling that I might've been wrong in my prediction of the movie, but i was hoping that I was going to be wrong in a good way, not in a bad way.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 03-26-2011 at 02:45 AM.

I just want to see some epic action scenes. I could care less if there isn't any "substance" lol. Like I'm going to go watch a Zack Snyder film for substance? Did 300 have anything going for it besides awesome fighting scenes? Or Watchmen? Not really. This movie shouldn't be that much different.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Actually, Watchmen certainly did. Watchmen both the film and the comic had hardly any fight scenes. Watchmen is a psychologically based story and has always been so. The theatrical film adaptation represented well in that aspect. A couple of casting choices and time constraints were the movie's problem. The video released version I hear is 30min longer so maybe those extra 30min fleshed it out more than what was in theaters. I could also say that 300 represents Spartan culture of that century that glorified the battles of war and dying for your country while showing little regard in the true harshness that is war.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 03-26-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Well, seeing how you saw it...

Wouldn't it be fair that I gave my opinion after I actually saw the movie?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

You can have your opinion. I won't try to persuade you if you feel differently.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I just got back from seeing it. It wasn't exactly what I expected...the trailers are slightly misleading...but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Just don't go in looking for a super deep, prevalent, original plot.

If you like movies where you can just shut your brain off and enjoy some deliciously ridiculous eye candy, you'll probably love your time spent in the theater watching it. I know I do, and I did.

But this is the internet, where everyone takes life way too seriously and can't for more than a second get over themselves, so I expect nothing but bad things to continue being said about the movie...not that I can really disagree with them. I just don't agree that all the reasons it's being called bad are necessarily bad things.

Every movie can't be The Shawshank Redemption, nor should they be.
    I like Kung-Fu.

(SPOILER)I've never seen Shawshank, and probably never will, the premise doesn't interest me much, but I respect the weight it holds. Though I still can't just sit and watch anything mindless. Which is why I rarely watch any movies anymore. I didn't enjoy Scott Pilgrim, which has been almost nothing but praised, and is pretty much just eye candy and style as well. This movie hasn't received quite as much praise, and is still just known to be simply eye candy. So yeah, I formed my opinion on it first. But then again, that's how I save money. Not necessarily the movie's fault really. Lots of good movies would fail to make me feel justified in spending 10 - 14 bucks on them for one viewing. Hell, I usually feel that buying them outright at that price is a little steep most of the time. My movie collection is extremely small but I'm happy with almost all of it. So meh lol

No hard feelings against this movie. But I think I'll pass