Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sucker Punch

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    (SPOILER)I've never seen Shawshank, and probably never will, the premise doesn't interest me much, but I respect the weight it holds. Though I still can't just sit and watch anything mindless. Which is why I rarely watch any movies anymore. I didn't enjoy Scott Pilgrim, which has been almost nothing but praised, and is pretty much just eye candy and style as well. This movie hasn't received quite as much praise, and is still just known to be simply eye candy. So yeah, I formed my opinion on it first. But then again, that's how I save money. Not necessarily the movie's fault really. Lots of good movies would fail to make me feel justified in spending 10 - 14 bucks on them for one viewing. Hell, I usually feel that buying them outright at that price is a little steep most of the time. My movie collection is extremely small but I'm happy with almost all of it. So meh lol

No hard feelings against this movie. But I think I'll pass
    Maybe I'm just privileged. $10-$14 dollars is nothing to me. Especially when I spend three times as much on gas every day, if not more. And I consider myself on the poor side. But then I'm also part of the "I can't take this crap with me when I'm dead so I may as well live it up" crowd.

I guess it's all about personal preference/priorities.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Honestly I'd likely indulge myself even more if I could justify any kind of disposable income. But I'm seriously well below the poverty level lol If I didn't have an awesome family I'd totally be homeless right now. So you have a valid point, and that probably has a lot to do with things

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default Not so great expectations...

I just got back from seeing this movie with my friends. I was interested in the movie after the first time I saw the trailer. Hyper-stylized action flick? Lots of glam and glitz but no substance? Sounds like the kind of mindless entertainment that I can get behind. At least that's what I thought.

I wasn't expecting a plot that would change my life. Honestly, I thought the base concept of a girl using fantasy to escape from an undesired reality was pretty interesting, even though I didn't expect that it would be executed well. I did, however, expect that the plot would be at least decent enough to carry me from one action scene to the next.

Instead, I encountered some of the most incoherent drivel I've ever seen. I very rarely want to leave a movie theater after I've paid to see a film, but if I hadn't been with three friends, I would have left about half an hour in.

Despite having some wonderfully creative fight choreography and a stellar visual presentation, everything else falls flat on its face. When critics say that a movie is all style, no substance, I usually expect that it means that it lacks substance by some bloated standard or unrealistic expectation of thematic meaning. This movie really is all style, no substance.

Let me emphasize that. No substance. It was easily one of the worst scripts I've ever encountered, and I've seen The Room.

Do yourself a favor and wait for it to come out on DVD so you can have some fun with the fight scenes and fast forward through the rest.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't care what people say, I'm still going to go see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Honestly, I thought the base concept of a girl using fantasy to escape from an undesired reality was pretty interesting, even though I didn't expect that it would be executed well.
    See Pan's Labyrinth. It'll fill this void and then some.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Default Sets the a bar a little high, huh?

I have seen Pan's Labyrinth; having seen it is exactly why I had almost no expectations for Sucker Punch.

Somehow even my low expectations weren't fulfilled. I mean really. It was so bad. D;

Zack Synder couldn't handle movie making even when he had the stories given to him.Who honestly thought he could handle writing his own movie? Sucker Punch looked like trash that was directed by a guy who was told he was a visionary when he clearly wasn't

I won't say that the movie CAN'T have a deep message to it. I saw several points in the movie where their seemed to be potential for a deeper message. I think there were parallels in the movie, things that could be taken symbolically within the story to represent ideas and themes within the story.

I'd say some things could have been taken as metaphors. I liked the sound track, I liked the visuals.

As a adventure, fantasy, movie it works on varying levels when considering various film elements.

But, I would not call this movie a master piece. I would still call it a artistic effort. But, philosophically I think you have to look a little deep to find deeply intellectual content.

BUT, I won't say that there isn't anything there, no substance.

I think if anything though the philosophical concepts would be abstract, and not shown in a literal way.

The ending message in the movie I felt was tired, rhetorical...and I didn't really feel like it was a good way to end the film.

On closer inspection, I believe the line used was used throughout the movie, importantly at the start, and then again at the ending.

The line is not the work of Plato, or genius...but maybe with another viewing I could get more out of this movie, and the writing behind it.

I'm sure their is some intellectual content in this film, something to speculate. Something to appreciate. But, as far philosophy be concerned I don't think the movie has that much for a first viewing.

But, again, I'm sure you could get something deep out of this movie, but most likely not in the literal sense of dialog, acting, etc etc.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

On the one hand, I love 300, I love Watchmen even more, and mindless action and tits are both a-okay in my book.

On the other, we have Ouch!, a man who is, in my view, a hero of this website and indeed modern times. He is also a man so placcid and calm that he would put the Buddha himself to shame. And yet this man, this glorious figure of a man, was so offended that he wanted to walk out of the theater, and was left so enraged that he ostensibly mercilessly assaulted several homeless people after his viewing.

I am torn.

Thumbs up

I saw 'Sucker Punch' last night and frankly I really enjoyed it.

Say what you will, but Zach Snyder pushes my buttons. Here's what you need to know:

Sucker Punch came across to me as Zach Snyder's passion project. He's had success in directing movies based on comic books, and made a half decent Dawn of the Dead remake. So this time, he wanted to tell us a story he wrote and cast it with a bunch of hot chicks. Most of whom, have decent acting chops (aside from Vanessa Hudgens)

The story is an interesting one. I see a lot of parallels in this thread to Pan's Labrynth. I guess they're similar, but only slightly. Also, its clear that many people in this thread that have seen the movie have grossly misunderstood what is supposed to be reality and what is fantasy encapsulated in another fantasy. It's true there isn't a lot of straight narrative, but rather subtle parallels in the fantasy world that advance the story on the 'Real' world. It works very well.

Sucker Punch has some great action. I didn't see it in Imax, but I think I may if I see it again. There's obviously a lot of CG, but its done beautifully. Also, something to note is that the soundtrack, in the context of the film, really kicks ass. There's covers of Jefferson Airplane, Beatles, Pixies and Eurythmics.

Zach Snyder's original story allows him to throw fantastic action scenes at us. Since you know they're fantasy, you don't have to suspend your disbelief but rather just sit back and enjoy the show.

7/10

^ Basically what I said and thought,well said man! I enjoyed your review but I struggle to rate this film.

^ Thanks!

Yeah, we seemed to have taken much of the same from the film. I struggled to put a number on it at first. This really seems like the kind of movie I want to see again, I'm sure there are some more subtle things I missed (although I also caught some the first time around, IE the "Paradise Diner" sign towards the end)

It's a cool flick, I don't agree with critical panning its getting.

Sucker Punch Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    I have seen Pan's Labyrinth; having seen it is exactly why I had almost no expectations for Sucker Punch.

Somehow even my low expectations weren't fulfilled. I mean really. It was so bad. D;
    I can't believe he just ripped off that whole concept. It's been done man!
    I will see it and probably feel the same way as you because I love Pan's Labyrinth.

Articles
    Blog Entries

lol he uses exactly the same camera movements and filters he used for 300 and Watchmen. I bet it's gonna have some real ty slo-mo action too.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

I saw it tonight. It was alright I guess.
    Nothing special, kinda what I expected. Music was the best part of the movie.
    Nothing much was left to your imagination.

6/10 I guess. Being kind of generous there I think.