Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sucker Punch

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Sucker Punch

YouTube - Sucker Punch (Zack Snyder) - Trailer HD - 2011 (ad free)

From Zack Snyder

Spoilers Below

I've been looking at this trailer a lot at first when I saw it I went cool, then huh?. After that I was speculating the potential of this movie as a great film and possibly a video game. I immediately thought that I should write a book like this then shook it away as I knew I was just caught up in the moment and majority of the time it never turns out good to copy others. After all that I've been trying to guess what the film could be about. I took some images here from the trailer and added my interpretations on them. The overall concept I'm getting from this is that the film starts out being about escaping from a corrupt mental institution. I left out a lot of shots because with some I am just dumbfounded. Take a look. Note the spoiler bits are meant to read after reading all the image tags the first time.

First image we see. A beautiful woman sleeping with her head against a rain splattered window.
    (SPOILER)I am guessing that this is some time before she's in the mental institution and most likely after the funeral of the person she was involved with. In the funeral pic it was raining too.

We then see this sign noting a mental institution in the city of Battleboro in the state of Vermont in the USA. Googled the city and it states that it's the oldest city in the state and is known for its vibrant art community.

Here you see the lovely lady being dragged in while struggling. She is angry and scared.
    (SPOILER)After she tried her move.

Here you see a samurai cleaning a katana
    (SPOILER)Most likely the sensei that taught her to fight

Here you see some menacing or badass looking enemies. You can also see a temple crossing behind them.

Our girl being badass. She is in a sort of archetyped pose and I'm getting a real sense of feel of anime from this shot. Most likely because it's a woman wearing a school uniform holding a samurai sword. I also noticed that the bangs of her hair billowing in the wind resembles the demon Shishiwakamaru's hair bangs when he gets mad. You can see the steps of the temple behind her.

(SPOILER)I'm thinking this is the moment where her skills are tested to become a full samurai or perhaps this is even before she meets the sensei and this fight is a test to prove her worth. A third option could be that some kind of samurai or demon gang has beef with the temple and she's standing up to defend it. Least likely option.

I'm clueless hear
    (SPOILER)Still clueless

Some mafia lookin thugs here
    (SPOILER)The Don's henchman confronting our hero, she could possibly be trying to escape and they block her path, anything.

Man in the middle looks like the big cheese. Can see a fine black or some other dark skinned race chick on the opposite side of the doors. She was probably crying before the door opened and her fear worsened when the don came in.

Here you can see several sexy ladies dressed in lingerie in a dressing room. The attire resembles burlesque type wear. I also believe it is revealed that the don's name is Blue.
    (SPOILER)This also seems like these women have no combat prowess probably before they learn how to fight.

Our hero on stage in lingerie. pretty much confirms my last thought.
    (SPOILER)I am guessing this is the first time she is on stage here when she is forced to dance to stay alive.

Definitely does now
    (SPOILER)The girls are forced to perform burlesque routines to customers

Someone's funeral
    (SPOILER)The funeral of the person she was connected to. It's raining here just like in the first screenshot.

An investigation scene here at the scene of a crime perhaps.
    (SPOILER)Probably before our hero gets sent into the crazy house.This might actually be moments before the little girl is discovered. Looks to be in a bathroom

A small girl scared, possibly hiding in a closet, a nasty bathroom stall, or someplace else.
    (SPOILER)Maybe the person who was murdered. Our hero's sister?

Post video
    Overall I'm seeing this as a film that involves a young woman who was connected to a crime and possibly witnessed it. The mafia comes to her place and threatens that if she testifies she's dead. Something along those lines or maybe perhaps like what happened to Angelina Jolie in Changeling. She makes an attempt to tell someone maybe a cop and she is taken away wrongfully to this corrupt mental institution run by the mafia that forces the women to stripping at night for guests. Doesn't sound too creative to me. This girl meets the other women and after a while she is sick of the situation being tortured and being treat like a piece of meat. She or someone else tries to influence the girls to break out when there's armed guards and the women have no weapons or any sense of battle.

I'm not sure how the girls manage to learn how to fight and escape, but they might manage to knock out a guard while terrified stealing his guns and proceeding to escape with a presumed well thought out plan. They are caught, but manage to escape by sheer luck. Someone a sensei comes into play and teaches the main girl at least how to truly fight.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 07-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.

From my understanding, (SPOILER)the premise of the movie is Emily Browning's character is taken to a mental institution for witnessing something... bad. During her stay there, she comes to learn that she is going to be subjected to a lobotomy unless she can escape. At the same time (or shortly before this) she creates an elaborate fantasy world (which explains the presence of dragons, samurai, and the five lead female's ability to fight somewhat supernaturally). The two worlds collide in a way where they learn things in the fantasy world and use them to escape in the real world.

Speculative though as I don't know much about the movie itself.

This so interesting that I'm not sure what to make of it. This film feels a bit like a combination of Alice in Wonderland, the Matrix, a Jet Li epic and some kind of fantasy movie. It's just so cool. Even the name, Sucker Punch, which gives it this edgy almost indie kind of feel to it.

Edit: And it has such a 1920s World War feel to it. Very interesting.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    From my understanding, (SPOILER)the premise of the movie is Emily Browning's character is taken to a mental institution for witnessing something... bad. During her stay there, she comes to learn that she is going to be subjected to a lobotomy unless she can escape. At the same time (or shortly before this) she creates an elaborate fantasy world (which explains the presence of dragons, samurai, and the five lead female's ability to fight somewhat supernaturally). The two worlds collide in a way where they learn things in the fantasy world and use them to escape in the real world.

Speculative though as I don't know much about the movie itself.
    Hmmm, interestingly more creative than what I thought. Where'd your theory come from?

Snyder's comic-con stuff and the trailer mostly.

When I first watched the trailer, my immediate thought was "Holy crap I have no idea what's going on, but it looks so awesome."

That said, Snyder can be more flash than substance, even when he's working on adaptions, so I'm not sure how well he'll do on something original. But, I'm intrigued, I'll give him that.
    Formerly: Autumn Rain

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just got around to watching the trailer, it looks awesome. I'll definitely be checking this out.

I hate Synders obsession with spectacle. Why not go back to more modest filmmaking like with Dawn of the Dead? These overly pretentious films he's been making recently have all been massively overhyped but not really delivering in my opinion. He's trying too hard to WOW us and in the process has lost any real substance his movies could have had. Sucker Punch looks like it'll continue that tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I hate Synders obsession with spectacle. Why not go back to more modest filmmaking like with Dawn of the Dead? These overly pretentious films he's been making recently have all been massively overhyped but not really delivering in my opinion. He's trying too hard to WOW us but in the process has lost any real substance the movie could of had. Sucker punch looks like it'll continue that tradition.
    You're prolly right, but it'll look pretty and that seems to be what audiences want these days. Sad really.

I also hate these overly sexualised female action heroes. Just used as cheap marketing tools to attract pubescent teens to the picture. Whatever happened to proper action heroines like Sarah Conner and Ellen Ripley?

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think that's all pretty lulzy with what you have as your sig/av combo.

Barely-clothed hot chicks sell more tickets than realistic strong women.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Nights View Post
    Yeah, because the Alien films and The Terminator/Terminator 2 were both such big box office flops

There's two problems with this film - it's from the director of 300 (though admittedly my major problems with that film stem from the source material rather than the director) and it has Vanessa Hudgens in it. Argh!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Yeah, because the Alien films and The Terminator/Terminator 2 were both such big box office flops :roll2
    I believe you may have missed his point. Our culture, as a whole, has moved towards the idea that sex, above almost all else, sells. Despite whether or not you think this is wrong, the sad fact is that the less clothes a woman has on throughout the movie, the more tickets are sold.

Interesting note: The three Twilight movies currently out has a grossed almost 1.7 billion dollars. The entire Terminator franchise, plus the Alien franchise (minus both Alien vs. Predator movies) grossed close to 2 billion dollars. This isn't a condemnation of Terminator or Alien, it's just interesting to note the total gross of the films in my mind.

There's two problems with this film - it's from the director of 300 (though admittedly my major problems with that film stem from the source material rather than the director) and it has Vanessa Hudgens in it. Argh!
    I don't see the problem with his having previously directed 300, as he also directed Watchmen, which I'm told was pretty good. I would be more worried that he was involved in The Owls of Ga'Hoole.

Also I see no problem with the casting of Vanessa Hudgens. I can name a dozen or so actors and actresses that starred in a number of bad movies and then made a string of good ones.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Yeah, because the Alien films and The Terminator/Terminator 2 were both such big box office flops
    I believe you may have missed his point. Our culture, as a whole, has moved towards the idea that sex, above almost all else, sells. Despite whether or not you think this is wrong, the sad fact is that the less clothes a woman has on throughout the movie, the more tickets are sold.
    I don't think it's as cut and dried as all that, and my point was that having a strong female character in centre stage who doesn't get her kit off doesn't mean your film will flop.

As for Vanessa Hudgens, she's one of those people that seems like she was bred in a Disney lab, rather than an actual actress.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"