Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ye olde cassette

Blog Entries

Default Ye olde cassette

This thread is about VHS.
    Do any of you still have vhs casettes EoFF?
    Do you think they'll one day appreciate in value like vinyl records?
    Will you still refuse to throw them out even if they wont?

I'll wait for other people to respond so I wont sound like a nutjob when I give my opinion about this apparently outdated system
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I still have some VHS tapes, although I no longer have a VHS player. I can't see them appreciating because the quality isn't even in the same galaxy as what we have today, there's nothing unique or cool looking about them (as is the case with records), and they're not easy to keep in good condition (so that you don't see any horrible lines or anything on the picture).

In my opinion, they're good for nothing more than a bit of a nostalgia.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I still have some!

But uh, no VHS player.

i am actually really quite annoyed about this.. all the good movies i grew up watching are all on vhs and we don't have a player anymore so they're all just useless now

to answer your question i don't think they'll appreciate in value a la vinyl, simply because they're not cool enough! also, the more you watch them, the crappier the quality.
    if finding love is just a dance, proximity and chance, you will excuse me if i skip the masquerade

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

I have Lion King movies all still on VHS, I'm not getting rid of those for my life <3

I am not a man

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

My old Disney and Sailormoon tapes are at my mom's somewhere. I haven't had a VHS player since I moved out on my own seven years ago.

I think some might become collectible, but most are garbage. I suppose that's the same as with records. But at least old junk records you can melt into neat bowls.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I still have a few VHS and a VCR. I'm not going to buy the same crap I already own. Unless it's a videogame.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzien View Post
    I still have some!

But uh, no VHS player.
    Same here. I have entire taped series of Digimon but no way to watch them!

Blog Entries

I still have my old collection of Disney movies from when I was a kid and I truly fear the day when my VHS player dies. (Though chances are I'll never watch them for preservation purposes)

I actually think box art for VHS looks alot cooler than on dvd/bluray boxes since theres more space, especially on the spine which is what you'll be looking at most of the time if you store it on a shelf. I really wish someone had the ingenuity to decorate the stickers for the VHS itself though.

I guess theres a point about the quality but static and snow are alot easier to ignore than digital glitches.

I still get the urge to buy VHS's I see in second hand stores since theyre so cheap. Since they stopped production of VHS players I have purchased the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion series (english), Star Wars: A New Hope (1995), The Fifth Element, Speed, Terminator 1 (special edition), Terminator 2 (special edition) and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (1999).

I keep trying to convince myself it's all pointless but when I feel the weight of a VHS in my hands it feels so much more like a piece of art than when Im holding a Disc

Fortunately as far as pointless collections and hobbies go, mine is fairly cheap and not too time consuming. Also it looks really good on a shelf.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 07-29-2010 at 06:23 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This thread is about VHS. Happy birthday!
    Do any of you still have vhs casettes EoFF? Yes, I have Fargo on VHS upstairs and I know we have a few in the basement hidden away. I use to have Enter the Dragon and The Lion King 1, 2, 1/2) all on VHS. I have no idea where the Lion King ones are, but the Bruce Lee one no longer works cuz it's that old.
    Do you think they'll one day appreciate in value like vinyl records? No, VHS sucked. DVD sucks only slightly less.
    Will you still refuse to throw them out even if they wont? I will eventually clear them out if I see a use in doing so. I still own an RCA VCR so I can still watch em.

Articles
    Blog Entries

All of this is irrelevant though, Betamax is obviously the only way to watch anything.

Vinyl has appreciated in value recently because new vinyl played on a good turntable with a good amplifier and cartridge sounds much, much, much better than a CD played on the same system. CDs are simply limited by the sample rate and sound depth chosen as the format standard - they're below the quality of what the human ear can detect, and so good analogue sound like that on a properly-cared-for vinyl record simply captures much more detail than CDs do (and, it goes without saying, far, far, far more than MP3s do).

Also, most CDs are these days mastered like . A lot of record companies brickwall the dynamics on their CDs to hell, which makes the drums in particular sound horrendously unnatural and flat, but since dynamic range compression is a digital process and most vinyl records are mastered from analogue master tapes, far fewer of them are burdened with that limitation, which only increases the value of the format to audiophiles.

Properly mastered DVD-audio could probably match vinyl in sound quality, but far less music gets released on DVD-audio than on vinyl, and some of it's still mastered like due to the aforementioned volume compression anyway. (I've always wondered why that was, incidentally; you're selling the damn products to audiophiles as it is, who aren't going to want a product that sounds unnatural, so why the hell don't you give them what they want? Record company executives can be idiots a lot of the time).

VHS doesn't have any advantages over DVDs or Blu-Ray. The picture quality is , and the sound quality isn't that great either. It's not worth throwing them away really, because even if you aren't keeping your VHS player you can still sell them for a presumably modest sum, but they're not superior to the dominant format in the market like vinyl is.

(It's worth pointing out that I only buy CDs if a vinyl edition of the same album is unavailable for a reasonable price)
    Last edited by The Man; 07-29-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

VHS and cassettes can go diaf (lol mine already did! ;D). Other media typically aren't destroyed by the earth's own magnetic field by virtue of existing.

There are some interesting effects you can get with distorted tapes, but nothing you couldn't achieve digitally. As an archival medium, they are completely fail.

The advantage to them both was that they were the first home-recordable media that were widely available. A generation of djs, mixartists, and home recorders were born.

Banned

I sold nearly my entire VHS collection on eBay years ago.

But I still have the three Sailor Moon movies, American History X, and Perfect Blue on VHS because they all got ate up in a stupid VCR at one point or another and are therefore unsellable (but still watchable). I do have several VHS players still but I never use them anymore as the five remaining VHS tapes I have I also have on DVD.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Haha, as has already been pointed out, VHS is not to DVD (or whatever) what vinyl is to CD (and digital music). I dunno what would be though... film nerds go for things like 8 mm and so on... who knows! I wouldn’t say BetaMax, although that was still in use when I was in college, it’s more to associated with production or something? I really don’t know what I’m talking about.