Thread: FFIV Hard Type

Default FFIV Hard Type

As we all know, there have been numerous releases of FFIV. Apparently the original one released for the Super Famicom in Japan is the hardest version, and Final Fantasy II released in the US/Canada was made substantially easier. Later Final Fantasy IV was released as part of the "Final Fantasy Chronicles" on the PS1, and there have also been releases on the GBA and the Nintendo DS.

Anyhow, I simply want to know which version is the toughest. Is the Final Fantasy IV that was released as the part of the Final Fantasy Chronicles the same game difficulty wise as the original Super Famicom one?

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The DS version is pretty damn hard. I don't remember having that much trouble with the snes version. Didn't notice any change in difficulty from snes to PS version either.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Chronicles Version is the closest to the original version of the game. It obviously has some minor tweaks not in the original (Quicksave, run button, FMVs) but is the closest to the original Super Famicom version in terms of difficulty and gameplay. I still consider the Chronicles version to be the best version gameplay wise though the GBA and DS are a toss up in concern of translation.

The GBA title is said to have one of the most faithful scripts to the original but it nerfs the difficulty so it can utilize the party swap feature in the end of the game. The DS version is also considered one of the most challenging entries but its difficulty is completely revamped for old school players and to compensate for the new Augment system. Hope this helps.