Thread: Sublime with Rome

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Sublime with Rome

Coincidentally, I'm wearing a Sublime shirt as I type this out.

Maybe I'm really out of the loop, but this is the first that I've heard about this. Apparently, they reformed back in April of '09 and are touring this year into next. I just happened to be listening to the radio today (something I rarely do) as they were discussing tour dates.

To be frank, I'm a little taken back. I don't think it's right. I'm sure other Sublime fans will disagree and just be happy to have the "band" back and performing songs. I don't feel that slamming the name "Sublime" on this group makes it the same. It's been fourteen years since Bradley Nowell's death, and since then, Bud and Eric have gone on to do other projects (Long Beach Dub All-Stars) - so the question is, why now? Why after all these years, and why with some twenty-year-old kid? Everything's changed since then - them, their music, the generations, the fans. I don't understand. I don't understand why they couldn't go with a different name, or simply remain as the LBD All-Stars.

Apparently, there was a lawsuit about the reformation of the band and their intent to use the name "Sublime" -

It was recently announced that Sublime bassist Eric Wilson and Sublime drummer Floyd 'Bud' Gaugh are 'reuniting' and teaming with singer and guitarist Rome Ramirez in a band they intend to call 'Sublime.' Prior to his untimely passing, both Bud and Eric acknowledged that Brad Nowell was the sole owner of the name Sublime. It was Brad's expressed intention that no one use the name Sublime in any group that did not include him, and Brad even registered the trademark 'Sublime' under his own name.
    It just doesn't sit well with me. I don't think I can support this reformation of the band.

Sublime fans - what are your opinions? For those that aren't fans, what would your opinion be if this situation involved a band that you admired?

Blog Entries

It's just not the same, and things end. With his death, the band ended and this is just something else. Not saying it won't be good, but it's just difficult to muster up the same excitement for it. In fact, I really have no interest in attending a show.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Bradley Nowell is Sublime. You can recreate the sound but you can't recreate Sublime. I'll give them a listen and I might even enjoy what I hear but I think it's pretty ty that they can't respect the last wish of a friend and bandmate. It's pretty stupid too. It's been fourteen years, what are they hoping to accomplish?

That's just lame. They seem to go with the hype. Reforming your old band is hot apparently. Blink 182, Limp Bizkit and such.

While I think it is sort of wrong to reform the band using the same name, I think it is equally wrong for the executors and the family of Nowell to make such a big deal about the use of the name. While it may have symbolic purposes, the argument between the two parties sullies the name of Brad Nowell and cheapens the unfortunate death of him.

It's all very silly.

No Brad, no Sublime

Banned

Yeah, Brad made Sublime, Sublime. This is just silly.

On a completely unrelated note, this reminds me of about a week ago when I heard on the radio Brett Michaels doing a cover of "What I Got" and almost crashed my car after projectile puking all over the windshield.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

hahaha That's the correct response, Bromance.